Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Future of Castlevania  (Read 22410 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 03:56:51 AM »
I think they had seen a game with potential and decided they want it to be a Castlevania. Maybe they even wanted it to be a CV remake. But I think that the team in Spain who is doing it, started it as their own project. A new original game, not a CV game. I would prefer it that way. It could be a great game. We′ll see..But I feel they are forcing it to be a CV and therefore raping the franchise.
LOS doesn′t have the atmosphere and gameplay similar to Castlevania, in my opinion, so that is one of the reasons I don′t accept it as a CV.

Except, the LoS teaser (before it was known to be a Castlevania) was SO Castlevania it wasn't even funny. When I look at LoS I see 100% Castlevania made in 2010. It may not look or play like Castlevania from 1992, but that's because it's not 1992 anymore. Or 1999. Or 2003. Thank God. But whatever, I hear you. You don't like it. I'm ok with that.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »
+1
If they are already going with the reboot and ″forget all you know about CV″ they could have at least done it with a new last name for the character.
Because some things couldn't be forgotten or shoved away, like "Belmont" or "Dracula" in the Castlevania. They are staples of the series for many people and it is an obvioys choice to use them. In one form or another.
Personally I'm happy to finally have a Belmont protagonist instead of countless Morisses, Hectors and others.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »
I'm tired of playing as all those Morris Schneider Baldwin characters, too

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
Hay guyz, we were so into LoS back in 2008.  We WANTED it to be Castlevania and were interested back then.

EXHIBIT A!
http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=1448.msg25591#msg25591

That was back in June 2008

EXHITIB B!
http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=1775.0
This was in December 2008.  Two years ago!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:22:22 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
Yeah but we only had a teaser trailer to talk about which didn't say much about the game.       

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
Yeah but even then we immediately looked at it and though "You know that could be Castlevania".
I mean, I didn't make that thread but I agree with its sentiment.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »
Wahahaha thanks Master D. This is gonna be fun :P
Hmm.. It even sound like a CV subtitle...
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Maybe it's a spin off? But probably not. They should just put the name Castlevania on it. I wanna see some gameplay footage. I expect God of War or something.
This is the proof, we were given what we asked in the first place  :)

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
Hell look around youtube or gametrailers for the teaser for Lords of Shadow and the very first comments are

"This should be a Castlevania."
"This would have made a great 3D Castlevania game"
"Might as well be called Castlevania Lords of Shadow."
"If Simon, Richter,Kratos had a baby."
"Konami making a Castlevania rippoff?" lol
"Game looks like it might be using the Metal Gear Solid 4 engine, I wonder if Hideo Kojima involved with this game?"

That's why it shocked me that even when people saw this game the first time and thought it looked like Castlevania, and then a year later the game turns out to be a Castlevania and people turn around and say "This game doesn't look like Castlevania. They just slapped the Castlevania name on a game that looked exactly like a Castlevania game."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:53:01 PM by Kingshango »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »
Wahahaha thanks Master D. This is gonna be fun :PThis is the proof, we were given what we asked in the first place  :)
Then later on, he says...
Here's lots of artwork: http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq176/Huzzud/Kotaku_Announce/

I'm pretty damn convinced this is an original game and not Castlevania related.
Haha.
Just teasing.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »
The irony...

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
Then later on, he says...Haha.
Just teasing.

Haha! Did I say that? Well, it must have something to do with me not being used to Konami teasing a Castlevania game without actually saying that it is a Castlevania. It's never happened before and back in 2008 it seemed very unlikely that Konami would ever do something like that. Today we know that there were different studios pitching ideas to Konami, so that explains it.

Offline angevil

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Future of Castlevania
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 01:29:19 PM »
"If Simon, Richter,Kratos had a baby."

LOL :)

Anyway, (even though I seem so negative towards LOS and don′t like it) I hope that the game turns out fine. We do want good Castlevania games and that our favorite franchise stays active and popular. It would be great to have both new 2D and 3D games coming up. I am going to play Aria now.

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
Just saw the trailer for the new Donkey Kong game, and I must say, it looks great. Seems like Nintendo is making a comeback with their most beloved franchises. I'm definitely going to get this game once it comes out.  :)

Also, wouldn't it be cool if there was a new Castlevania game like that? I mean, if IGA is going to make games for the 3DS, then hopefully it'd be like that, but knowing that he's been recycling sprites for 13 years, I'd be asking for too much.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:20:34 PM by ReikoTheAwesome »

The Triforce of Fuckery

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
The new Donkey Kong Country game is for the Wii.
IGA could VERY EASILY do something like that for the Wii.  Why he hasn't is beyond me.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
I know, but with the 3DS coming out, he should probably go for 2.5D at least. Also, I'm sure he'd makes tons if he did a Wii game like DK Country Reborn.

The Triforce of Fuckery

Tags: