Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania coming to Windows Phone 7 at launch!  (Read 21710 times)

Offline bobby digital

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Castlevania coming to Windows Phone 7 at launch!
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
There aren't any details as to what the game is, but a Castlevania game will be coming out for the xbox live service on the phones being released at the end of this year.  It could be a port of the SOTN puzzle game or something else entirely.

Taken from the press release here:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/xbox-live-launch-titles-for-windows-phone-7-finally-revealed-we/

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Castlevania coming to Windows Phone 7 at launch!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »
Harmony of Recycling I guess?

Everything comes full circle

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »
I doubt any cellphone for a while to come will have the horse power to run something like Harmony of Despair. It may be recycled 2D junk, but that's likely way too much stuff on screen to be rendering on a phone I would think. I don't believe phones would have enough ram either.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:38:30 AM »
i don't know if i can handle a third game released on a platform i don't have.  better be Encore of the Night so I don't need to get both an iThing AND a Windows Phone 7.  maybe they'd make a sequel to Encore of the Night, Encore of Sorrow, perhaps?

but yeah, since its microsoft, it does make you wonder about Harmony of Despair, or maybe some kind of knock off.  wonder if they could make a Harmony of Despair-like game, except use the Game Boy games instead. 

maybe it'll just be another port of Symphony of the Night?

i don't know how well a Castlevania game would play on a phone without many buttons.  i would be all for a Stella and Loretta adventure game.

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
I think that Encore of the Night port.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline bobby digital

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
I doubt any cellphone for a while to come will have the horse power to run something like Harmony of Despair. It may be recycled 2D junk, but that's likely way too much stuff on screen to be rendering on a phone I would think. I don't believe phones would have enough ram either.
I don't think Konami plans on making a new castlevania for the system.  Don't think the controls would be there for an HoD port either, while games can take advantage of a hardware keyboard the majority of phones won't have one, so touch controls are pretty much first priority.

Windows phone 7 does has strict hardware requirements so the games can look and run pretty nice (hell the iPhone and high-end android phones can almost run most PS1 games at full speed).  4 point multitouch, 1GHz processors, at least 512MB ram, though that's about on par with the latest iPhone and android phones.  The games don't look too bad especially with the XBL integration, I'm glad microsoft is finally trying to connect their various products together.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »
Portrait of Ruin port. I'm telling you guys. 

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »
Even better, Akumajo Dracula pachi slot ports.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »
Quote from: Nagumo
Portrait of Ruin port. I'm telling you guys.

Haha, I remember that game!

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 02:37:40 PM »
Might end up being a port of Order of Shadows.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
yeah, well, i guess i would be mildly surprised if it was anything other than Encore of the Night. 

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
Looks like Glu is going to add its games to WP7.  This could indicate that the Glu cell phone versions of Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow might be available, and might be the launch Castlevania title(s) we had heard about.  Wow, don't know why I didn't consider this as a possibility.  It'd be nice to be able to get those games outside of Europe.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Windows-Phone-7-WP7-Glu-mobile-guitar-hero-company-of-heroes,news-8077.html

Edit: Huh, we already knew about Glu's games since August.  This is news?  Ah well, new speculation anyways.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:44:49 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
I don't own that type of cellphone so I must pass, but sounds like good news anyway.

Happy belated birthday, btw   ;)

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:58 AM »
I don't own that type of cellphone so I must pass, but sounds like good news anyway.

Happy belated birthday, btw   ;)
thanks  :)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 01:42:15 AM »
This could indicate that the Glu cell phone versions of Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow might be available, and might be the launch Castlevania title(s) we had heard about.  Wow, don't know why I didn't consider this as a possibility.  It'd be nice to be able to get those games outside of Europe.

Except the cell phone version of Aria of Sorrow wasn't very good. I don't know about Dawn of Sorrow cause I never played it, but Aria was extremely short and pointless, with awful controls and hardly no bosses. In one area, where you're supposed to fight Legion, they just put a normal enemy but gave him extra health. Other "bosses" you could simply jump over and move to the next room without killing them. Also, I don't understand why the music - of which there isn't a lot - starts over every time you go to the inventory screen. Repetitive as hell. The map system was broken too, filling in rooms you hadn't even fully explored yet. But yeah, I guess it's a possibility for it to be a launch title...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:46:16 AM by shelverton. »

Tags: