Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Bandwagon  (Read 15415 times)

Offline REmaster

• EU SUNT DRACUL!
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:49:09 AM »
Hello everyone, I would just like to hear your thoughts on the bandwagon that typically occurs when a new title (especially reboots) come out of a series. For instance, I'm a huge Resident Evil fan and for quite some time many people started to give up on the series, but then came RE4, and with it a whole new wave of fans. I can't tell you how many fans I've come across who have never played the series before RE4 saying that the previous entries were garbage, 4 is the greatest game of all time, it needs more action less horror etc.>and they got it with RE5. I know what it's like to be a huge fan of a series that stays loyal through the good and the bad and it frustrates me when people come along and play the newest entry and have no respect for the old school games.

Are you guys thinking this will happen with CV:LOS? I'm excited for LOS but at the same time I worry that the Castlevania games of old will die out if it's a huge success. I'm aware it's just a clash of opinions between old fans/new fans...you?
Oblivium Sempiternum Daemonis

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:55:32 AM »
I'm a huge fan of 4....... and the older ones were okay. 5 wasn't all that interesting to me though.

I'm fine with this stuff... who cares...? really?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 01:58:35 AM »
It's always annoying when noobs come along the bandwagon but it's something we just have to deal with. We were all noobs at one point anyway.

Offline BigDotBomber

• Awards
Re: The Bandwagon
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 02:07:55 AM »
If it is good they will come and I am an optimist . . . so yeah we are screwed.

Offline REmaster

• EU SUNT DRACUL!
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »
I'm a huge fan of 4....... and the older ones were okay. 5 wasn't all that interesting to me though.

I'm fine with this stuff... who cares...? really?

I bet you do lol, jk. I thought RE4 was a great game, but it just wasn't Resident Evil. I agree 5 sucked, but that's for another topic. It really wouldn't bother you if people constantly tell you "Dude...have you played this game called Castlevania? It's like God of War meets Devil may Cry" as if it represents the whole series.

The franchise hasn't gained this much universal attention in over a decade. I'll have to see if you're whistling the same tune by the end of the year. Still this is good, you guys are opening up lol. Oh, and I care>thus the creation of this thread :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:13:37 AM by REmaster »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:56 AM »
I should correct myself... I don't care as long as they don't come in thinking that this is where it started. This is what happens to FF, almost every FF7 fan seem to think FF7 was the first FF ever created and that the ones before it were just basically a whole nother series.

It wasn't really resident evil, as they were, I agree. But it was a great game, none the less.

Offline REmaster

• EU SUNT DRACUL!
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:44:17 AM »
I should correct myself... I don't care as long as they don't come in thinking that this is where it started. This is what happens to FF, almost every FF7 fan seem to think FF7 was the first FF ever created and that the ones before it were just basically a whole nother series.

It wasn't really resident evil, as they were, I agree. But it was a great game, none the less.

100% Agreed with every word you just said, it was beautiful lol. I assume the movie will also bring more people to the series. I remember when I first heard Paul Anderson was first attached to movie, I thought great, (blank) Belmont will be played by his wife (Milla Jovovich).

There's alot of obvious hatred for him throughout the RE community for the movies, but James Wan...he just might keep the movie true to the games. Like most of you, I have no real problem with LOS or new fans, just ignorant ones.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:46:11 AM by REmaster »

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45:08 AM »
There's a guy on the GameFAQs boards that singlehandedly made me prefer the "new" RE4 fans over the "old" RE1-CV fans, despite the fact that I love both styles, my first Playstation game was RE1, and I consider RE4 just as much RE as the older games. He's one of those dickholes that pisses you off by quoting & responding to every single sentence of your post, and will harass anyone who says RE4 is a good game/scary at any part/has elements of the older games/etc. He also has some shitty Youtube videos that prove he has something wrong with him, but that's irrelevant.
On the other side, I remember the backlash when DXC came out. People who started with one of the Metroidvanias were calling Rondo everything but a video game, and that annoyed me just as bad. I read an especially frustrating review that said at one point: "if this is what Castlevania was before Symphony Of The Night... Castlevania sucked."
Basically, it depends on which side is less annoying, I guess. I've already met a guy who believes LoS is "not Castlevania" simply because it's not being developed by a Japanese team, so we'll see...

Offline REmaster

• EU SUNT DRACUL!
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:59:09 AM »
^ Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. I rarely go to RE forums anymore because everyone is arguing about that exact topic, well now more about 5.

Anyways, you've given two perfect examples of the opposing sides. I for one, love RE4, just not as a "true" RE game in my opinion. I love it, but when people come in and bash the games that started it all...especially in forums filled with *gasp* veteran fans, that's where I draw the line.

In the end it's all about respecting eachother despite our preferences, so hopefully people won't lose control. However, if the LOS style turns out to be the future of all CV games, regardless of how glorious it might be...I could see how there would be quite a bit of rage in the air.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:06:27 AM by REmaster »

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:51:05 AM »
If somebody says that LoS is their first introduction to the series and they're interested in what else the series has to offer, ill welcome them, but if they come in here and bash the rest of the series for not being like LoS then they can get the hell out. I don't think this is the kind of place for LoS fans, but a place for castlevania fans and those looking to get into the series.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »
That's weird, I never thought much of RE 4 and RE 5. They fit very well with the other games.           

Offline ReinhardtSchneider

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 06:58:41 AM »
I'm actually a fairly new fan.  I didn't get into the series until I played Harmony of Dissonance a few years ago.  And then my fandom secured itself when I got Order of Ecclesia after that.  I've actually played a few Castlevanias before even playing HoD, but none of them hooked me like that one did.  My first Castlevania was actually CV64, which I enjoyed but didn't turn me into a fan of the series as a whole.  Then I played CotM when it came out and hated it, which kind of turned me off for the series as a whole.  A few years later I borrowed Lament of Innocence from my friend, and again it didn't hook me.  A few years go by and I get into an in-depth conversation with my friend about the series and it inspires me to give the series one more try.  This was about the time Order of Ecclesia either just came out or was about to come out.  I went out to gamestop and found Harmony of Dissonance, so I bought that.  I tried it and LOVED it.  Couldn't stop playing.  Finished that, went out and got Circle of the Moon, which I played before and didn't like, but this time around I liked it a bit more.   After that I downloaded Castlevania IV on Wii's Virtual Console, which I also really enjoyed.  Throughout the last 3 years I've played nearly every single CV game and have enjoyed every single entry I have played.  With that all being said, I am extremely excited  for Lords of Shadow, and I am not a bandwagon jumper.  I truly love the series, and as long as they keep pumping out awesome games, I will remain a fan.  I'm sure a ton of people will be bandwagon jumpers after this entry, and that's fine.  A good percentage will most likely dig out the root of the series and become even bigger fans.  So the more the better!

Offline Buflame

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »
about FF is diffiicult to explain, cause in europe the 1st ff we had was 7, so a lot of people discovered it for 7 like i did, that doesnt means we think 7 was the only one, i personally have beaten every numeric FF, even XI and all his 4 expansions(not X-2, i only saw the intro and stopped there, but i have it) and i can say that for me 6 was the best with no doubt,but i feel something special for the 7 one, cause it was the door i took to enter in the franchise.

I think thas LoS can be something similar to a lot of people who doesnt know nothing about castlevania and it will open the franchise to they, of course there will be LoS fanboys... you and me know that xD there are always closed mind fanboys for everything.

Back to FF, i was thinking these days that it could be really nice that SE do something similar to konami , and give a western team the chance of work in a ff, doing something like Dragon Age just to refresh concepts, i know it will never happen but dreaming is free D:

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »
Back to FF, i was thinking these days that it could be really nice that SE do something similar to konami , and give a western team the chance of work in a ff, doing something like Dragon Age just to refresh concepts, i know it will never happen but dreaming is free D:

I hate to say, considering how much I'm in favor of LoS, but Final Fantasy can't be rebooted, much less by an American company. If it was, well, it wouldn't be Final Fantasy. There's something about every game being so distinctly Japanese and having everything outside the plot and battle system be the exactly same (e.g. chocobos, moogles, cactuars, cid, airships, magic spells, summons, weapons) that makes it Final Fantasy. It's been the same for so long, I wouldn't be able to touch it.

Castlevania has never had one singular identity. The NES games felt different from the Rondo and Dracula X, those felt different from SCV IV, those felt different from from the N64 games, those felt different from SotN, and so on and so forth. The only time when Castlevania kind of jumped into a singular style was post SotN.

That's why I hate FF bandwagon jumpers, but really wouldn't mind LoS jumpers. Final Fantasy has never really changed, so don't act like FF7 started everything. On the other hand, Castlevania is always morphing, so while maybe LoS is (arguably) more drastic than other changes, it's nothing new that the series has morphed like this.

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 09:39:32 AM »
You could think of The Last Story as a Final Fantasy reboot, which is what I'm doing.

Tags:

anything