Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Lords of Shadow Opinions (has Spoilers)  (Read 88118 times)

Offline Death

• I'll Be Seeing You Soon
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Lords of Shadow Opinions
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »
I'm curious, what was so ridiculous about the timeline?

IGA himself was getting confused with the timeline, completely removing games from the "official" timeline, that's how ridiculous it was getting. How many times do we have to keep resurrecting Dracula anyway? Seriously. Here soon we're gonna be fighting Dracula for the 27th time in the year 2377 on planet Zasterbus (aka Earth 2).

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »
Dracula is immortal. If he was resurrected 1000 times in the "new" LoS timeline, would you still be complaining about it?

You act like having Dracula being resurrected is a bad thing. That's what's Castlevania's always been about. In the original timeline, there's 300 years between Dracula's "birth" & his death at the hands of Trevor. Plenty of games to flesh out any story you can think of.

So, like I said, what's so ridiculous about the timeline?

Offline Death

• I'll Be Seeing You Soon
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
Well, for one thing the timeline has run out of, well, time. Besides making the 1999 game all the other games would have to take place well into the future. I don't know about you but I prefer my Castlevania's to take place in ancient times rather than way into the future.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
Well, if you prefer the games to take place in ancient times, it would have run out of time anyway. Unless, say, you want Roman or Babylonian Dracula or something. I guess the best way would be to have no timeline and have all the games take place in some timeless era, akin to Conan or whatever. I am not sure that would really work with the obvious gothic architecture.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:23:03 PM by thernz »

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »
I beat LoS yesterday and I'm sort of mixed on the whole experience. The first couple of chapters I didn't really care for. They felt to Tolkien for Castlevania and I really don't care much for that.

The story for the most part was good, I really liked the background of the Lords of Shadow and I like Gabriel as the tragic hero. 

The gameplay was very fun and its nice to see a variety of different elements, such as the combat, puzzles and platforming come together so well.

While it initially did not feel Castlevania to me that quickly changed when I got to Wygol village and the castle itself. The final boss was an interesting pick, and I think I really enjoyed that.

After playing for so long with no feelings of Castlevania I was glad to see that change, however the last part of the ending really kind of killed it for me and it left me dissapointed in the end. So I think I feel a love/hate relationship with this game, though I think the good out weighs the bad.

A few other things I liked were the nod to classic characters and places. My favorite two were the Veros woods and in one of the brotherhood scrolls it mentions the Bernhards used to have the castle and the rumor had it the the castle was a creature itself, and it would change, making it impossible to map out.

Overall the experiance was good, and I'm glad I had lowered expectations because I was pleasently surprised, I just hope on the next game we see classic enemies and hear classic music.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
The timeline of the whole series (both canon and non-canon) has become convuluted to the point where they can literally make up any year and justify it somehow, even if it's ridiculous. LoI was supposed to be an origin story, showing us how it all began. Now we have LoS which is even further in the past than that (and spare me the whole "LoS is not connected to LoI" crap because it obviously is.) They have also used time travel in the series so basically they can make a game take place anytime, anywhere.

I do agree though...I prefer my CV's to take place centuries ago, not in modern times. If the LoS sequel takes place in present day, I'm really not sure if I'm gonna like that. Although it might be fun to go unleash on Drac's army with guns Dante-style  ;D
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »
Now we have LoS which is even further in the past than that (and spare me the whole "LoS is not connected to LoI" crap because it obviously is.) They have also used time travel in the series so basically they can make a game take place anytime, anywhere.

Woah, what makes you still think that? Vincent Dorin showing up didn't seem weird to you?  :P         

Offline Valtiel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »
Woah, what makes you still think that? Vincent Dorin showing up didn't seem weird to you?  :P         

I really don't think we can connect the two timelines at all, yes.

It's not just a matter of factual inconsistencies - the style is just too different. You can't really put Leon Belmont and Gabriel Belmont (or Pan and Soma Cruz, or Mathias and Zobek) in the same room and assume they belong to the same world.

It's better if the two timelines are kept separated; the games are radically different in terms of mood and atmosphere.

Offline OmegaDL50

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Lords of Shadow Opinions (has Spoilers)
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 10:58:16 AM »
Well I really don't think that idea would actually hold up even to games within the same timeline as well.

Putting Soma and Leon in the same room would also be rather strange regardless of the same art style used for both characters.

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
I really don't think we can connect the two timelines at all, yes.

It's not just a matter of factual inconsistencies - the style is just too different. You can't really put Leon Belmont and Gabriel Belmont (or Pan and Soma Cruz, or Mathias and Zobek) in the same room and assume they belong to the same world.

It's better if the two timelines are kept separated; the games are radically different in terms of mood and atmosphere.

Yes I understand all that...but I've said since day 1 if you REALLY want to keep the two timelines 100% separate, then don't reuse names and identities. In LoS we have many references to Rinaldo, by name, who makes weapons. You telling me it's not supposed to be the same Rinaldo from LoI? Bull. There's a pretty big connection to LoI right there! Then the rumor of Gabe being part of the Cronqvist family is another tie-in. Then there's Cornell, Carmilla, Laura, Olrox, etc. People just saying that it's pure coincidence they have the same names but aren't really the same characters is a copout. I don't care how different they look/act or the overall atmosphere of the game. It's hard not to draw parallels when you're using the same characterizations.
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
+1
Coxee said they copy/pasted character names because that would count as fanservice and also condradict the timeline on purpose. So basically they're just being douches.       

Offline Valtiel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Coxee said they copy/pasted character names because that would count as fanservice and also condradict the timeline on purpose. So basically they're just being douches.       

You're being incredibly silly here.

It's a reinterpretation; something like Marvel's alternate universe. You get a Wolverine in each universe, but in one he's born in 1765, in the other in 200 B.C., in one is a good guy and in another he's an archvillain. There's a legendary weaponcrafter called Rinaldo Gandolfi in both timelines, but it's not the same character, much in the same way Gabriel isn't the same Dracula that Mathias is.

Cox never wanted to "piss off" the IGA fans; he said he would use the same names exactly to make sure the two timelines couldn't mix. If the LoS timeline has a Rinaldo or a Cornell who fit the character description while being a completely different individual, you have two timelines that are both familiar to fans but have each a strong identity that can't be confused with the other.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't call 'em douches.  That's kinda farfetched.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
Hold your horses, I was just kidding.   

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
Yes I understand all that...but I've said since day 1 if you REALLY want to keep the two timelines 100% separate, then don't reuse names and identities. In LoS we have many references to Rinaldo, by name, who makes weapons. You telling me it's not supposed to be the same Rinaldo from LoI? Bull. There's a pretty big connection to LoI right there! Then the rumor of Gabe being part of the Cronqvist family is another tie-in. Then there's Cornell, Carmilla, Laura, Olrox, etc. People just saying that it's pure coincidence they have the same names but aren't really the same characters is a copout. I don't care how different they look/act or the overall atmosphere of the game. It's hard not to draw parallels when you're using the same characterizations.
wow your trying sssooooooooooo hard to establish this as part of the main canon when Cox HIMSELF said that this takes place in a SEPERATE UNIVERSE.
sure you can "try" to connect it but bottom line its in a seperate universe and thus you really shouldn't read to much into this and call BS on stuff

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Tags:

anything