Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: [Fan Games] Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Eggerland, Mario, Megaman  (Read 126520 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: [Feedback] Castlevania: The Demon Castle fangame project ideas
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 06:44:41 AM »
how are you gonna do the whip swingin? Thats somethin Ive never had any desire to even attempt to make

I don't think it will be very difficult. I've been working out some of the geometry and arithmetic in my head.
I'll start by having a collision between the whip and the anchors that will switch Simon and the whip into swing mode.
Then I'll just have an object for each chain link that contains the variable for a script that tells it how it should behave in relation to the other objects in the chain and build from that.

I was more referring to the random placement of the swing anchors than anything else. they serve no purpose other than to be there. its like something that you would make for a debug mode, to test out the physics, rather than put in any kind of level. sciv was mostly "tech-demo-y" in that it experimented with what the technology could do and played with it; but, it did so with tact and intrigue, its excursions into experimentation aren't awkward and fit well within the context of the game.

so its kind of a different kind of tech-demo-y?

i guess what i'm trying to get at is that every element in a level should be considered and should have a purpose or reason for being. the issue with the anchors is that they don't work with the rest of the level design; there's no reason for them to be there and as is they don't accomplish much. maybe instead you could build on the idea and have the anchors lead to a slightly different route in that particular room/part of the level, that you normally wouldn't be able to access? (also, try not to chain so many anchors together like that, it comes off as tacky and unnecessary).

i also don't recognize what room its edited from in sciv.

Well, that platform at the beginning isn't accessible by jumping with an NES style Simon. So the point of the anchors is to reach that ledge. I just haven't decided yet what is going to be up there. I see what you mean about there being too many anchors. I guess I'll break things up by adding intermediate platforms.

I'm updating the layouts now...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:48:11 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
well if you go like the LoI type swingin where you hit it and basically just swing really fast and detach it should be simple rotation but if you wanna do like CV4... thats gonna take a loooooot of work and you might as well try for the whole effect and make the CV4 limp whip

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 11:23:39 AM »
Yeah, I 'm planning on the limp whip too.
From the start I intended to incorporate things from CV1, VK, HC, SCV4 & Chronicles.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
Here are the final layouts with all sources of fire, doors, & entrances.

This DOES NOT include enemies, secrets, or scenery.

[removed]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:03:02 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
That bottom pic of you level; F. That's the 'Dracula's front door stage' from CV4 isn't it? I thought it looked familiar.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline CristopherLee

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 04:26:59 AM »
Looks good. Have you any sprites?
I never drink... wine...

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »
That's exactly it X. Most of the recycled stages will be left alone except for fitting them into the scale of an NES game.

Thanks, Cris! I don't have any sprites yet, but that is the next step... wait, that's not quite true. Someone made some updated Simon sprites for me a while back that I will most likely use.

Check out this thread:
http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=2516.0
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Here's some early in-game shots of 1-1 & 1-2 with temp graphics in place.

"Stuff and things."

Offline HeliosCentaur

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
Do you have the player engine complete?

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »
*NOTE: I'm not the guy making this game*

My player engine based on Trevor is nearing completion. I'm probably going about it completely differently than this guy, though.

As for doing swinging, just mess around with Bionic Commando. Study the mechanics and sprites and then take it from there. That game had one of the best swinging mechanics to date and it was an NES game!

And I just want to add to the issue about 8-bit games rather than 16-bit or 32-bit games. Personally, I hate 16-bit and 32-bit fan games.  Sure, they look nice, but they feel more dated than 8-bit games. I mean, all you see nowadays are 16-bit or 32-bit games whenever you play video games, so there's no novelty in a fan game of that bit depth. I enjoyed SNES and Playstation games when I was in college, but now I play mostly NES games because new games just don't feel fun to me.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
I enjoyed SNES and Playstation games when I was in college, but now I play mostly NES games because new games just don't feel fun to me.

What's old is new again. I know the feeling. Screen-shot looks good so far, keep it up  :)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
@TheouAegis: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to be working on this some more now that things have settled down for me some. Just got divorced less than two weeks ago and I've been too much of a wreck to work on any of my projects the last few months.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 05:50:47 AM »
Thanks to TheouAegis, I'm getting back into this project. His engine is going to save me a ton of time! Thanks for you work, TheouAegis!!
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
Let me know if you decide to use my MiniSprites.
Although they're not 3-color NES-Style, it looks like they might fit well within your game.  :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm going for a cross between NES and MSX styles for a slightly more updated look, but I may need a little color reduction so it doesn't look 16-bit. ... Or then again I could pull a Ninja-Gaiden-Trilogy and have a pure NES mode, an MSX mode, and a 16-bit mode.
The biggest thing is that I'd like the player to be able to choose between different costumes. So eventually I'd like to have a version of Simon in each mode with the different outfits he's had in the constituent remakes. That's a lot of sprites. We'll talk once this thing is actually playable.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: