Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: You know who I wish would come back?  (Read 24064 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:18 PM »
+1
Takeshi Obata.

Wait, I mean Hirooka Masaki, OoE's artist. His style was both, well, Castlevania-ish and yet had some pretty mass appeal. The art was great yet wholly inoffensive. It basically appealed to both young and old players, and the designs themselves were legitimately good. I know Shanoa's was excellent, and he provided the best cover artwork we've had for some time. If there's any other 2D titles, I really hope they bring him back.

it's ok if you want obata back though, puwexil-san

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »
+1
For a moment I thought you really meant Obata. I don't read Death Note. I hate it. So having him work on my favorite series was like a stab in the heart.
But yeah Masaki is much better than Obata, or the guy who did the art for Dos and Por.If i find that guy  i'm gonna kill him. joking.
Joking aside, who do you think can do the work for the Castlevania series, besides Kojima and Masaki?
I was thinking of Kentarou Miura(Berserk). He's good at drawing Gothic elements.Maybe not the faces, but his universe has a gothic/renaissance feeling.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
Yeah I agree BTH... Masaki's Dracula was one of the best designs and I wouldn't mind if he'd return for another title. And TBH, I'd love to see his interpretation of previously established characters.

I almost wish he did the artwork for the PoR & the DoS, too. I don't think Konami likes 2D Castlevania anymore.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
+1
Masaki's artwork is amazing, and to be honest I don't know if I like his or Ayami's style better. But I think that another good person to do the artwork for the series would be the artist for Soul Calibur IV. Whoever that person is, they sure can draw an amazing array of outfits. As long as they don't give the CV girls the unnecessarily revealing clothing, though. CV doesn't need that and it'd honestly kill it for me.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
+1
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:05:20 PM by thernz »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
+1
The worst thing about PoR's art is that they had a better artist in the development team. So it's just

why

More specifically,

I wouldn't mind Masaki coming back.

Love the other artists' work. Something about Eric screams "BADASS!" while something about Vincent screams "RAPIST!"

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
+1
The worst thing about PoR's art is that they had a better artist in the development team. So it's just

why

More specifically,

I wouldn't mind Masaki coming back.

Yeah I remember that artwork. Eric and Dracula are my favorites.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
+1
You know who I wish would come back?

The Super CV4 team for an XBLA/PSN/Steam encore game.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
+1
You mean Treasure? That would rock!
"Stuff and things."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:09:17 AM »
I liked OOE's art style. Something bout the eyes is real cool.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 01:02:42 AM »
+1
You mean Treasure? That would rock!

I don't think it's Treasure. IIRC only two or three guys from Konami went to Treasure, and the main programmer (can't remember his name off the top of my head) went to Konami of Hawaii or someplace.

Offline 赤月

• 血月下の薄夢華
  • Vampire Hunter
  • A cesspit of hatred and lies! Wait, what?
    • Awards
Re: You know who I wish would come back?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 01:22:58 AM »
+1
Person who did this:

That is all

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 03:14:54 AM »
+1
I'd love to see masaki coming back for another 2D Castlevania!!!! He's Dracula design is awesome!!! It feels evil when you are looking at it!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 06:42:10 AM »
+1
Retro Drac's got tusks. Not fangs. XD
It'd be awesome to see a game though with the more classic art. Imagine that guy's rendition of later characters like Soma;D

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
+1
Person who did this:

That is all

My thoughts exactly : )
I think that is my favorite game box art of all time.

As for Masaki, I don't have any problem with his work. He admittedly didn't knock me over with awesome like Ayami Kojima has done (or the CV1 box art), but he's really good and I wouldn't mind seeing him again. His Dracula is one of the best I've seen from the series, though, and there is something kind of deep about the OoE box art. Well, the U.S. box art at least.

Tags: