Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best of PSP Thread.  (Read 12408 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:48:22 PM »
This thread is about all the Great PSP games small and Large alike, I'll start with my recommendations...

Gundam vs. Gundem Next Plus (there's a translation floating around)
Great game!, its accually better than the Dynasty warrior gundam games, plus it's got Gundam Unicorn!

Phantasy Star Portable 2 + Infinity (coming soon)
PSP2 is a must have if you won a PSP, this game has sooo much content, and its really fun to boot.
Infinity just breaks the scale adding over twice as much content to the original, Can't wait for the US release

Dracula X chronicles
a 2.5d Remake with a bit of new content, plus the original game AND an updated version of it's sequel, AND a bonus peke (pc engine, wrong chip minigame)
this game is proclaimed as the Orange Box of PSP.

Blazblue Continuum Shift 2
throw a Console game on the handheld, Give it all its DLC, and put in a few new modes and top it off with online play, pure win.
Gallery mode also has original peices and a few hints toward a 2.5D (like SFIV) BB3

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
its the latest GG with new features, nuff said.

Tekken Dark Ressurection
This was so popular it got a PS3 release, that alone stands for something.

Final Fantasy - ALL PSP releases
If Final Fantasy Sucks for you, you're probably still looking at console releases, the PSP has the best FF games as of late.
not to mention type 0. Holy Shit. I played the Demo and was blown away.

Persona 3 Portable
Part Life Sim, Part RPG. this game is renowned one of the best RPGs of all time, I agree.

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.
Sure KH is getting to a Milking point in the franchise, but this game is both Fun and challenging, also great for people who want KH to take itself a little more serious plot-wise.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker.
Venture with Big Boss with the next best MGS, Honestly, this is way better than MGS4. with super high replay value.

that's it for me...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
I hear the Death Jr. games are really great. I just ordered the Wii version of the second one for ten dolla; looking forward to it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37:47 PM »
Dracula X chronicles
a 2.5d Remake with a bit of new content, plus the original game AND an updated version of it's sequel, AND a bonus peke (pc engine, wrong chip minigame)
this game is proclaimed as the Orange Box of PSP.

Final Fantasy - ALL PSP releases
If Final Fantasy Sucks for you, you're probably still looking at console releases, the PSP has the best FF games as of late.
not to mention type 0. Holy Shit. I played the Demo and was blown away.

Persona 3 Portable
Part Life Sim, Part RPG. this game is renowned one of the best RPGs of all time, I agree.

Don't care about the rest. I do think Dracula X chronicles is a good, but oddly enough I don't like it as much as SotN, or CV3. o_O

FFT for Ipad is better than the PSP release. FFT for the PSX, while having less than the psp release actually runs better. I also don't like the new cutscenes... while I love the art style I don't like the speech they use, it's way over the top and feels unnatural. So I have to disagree.

P3P is indeed better, as far as I've heard, in everyway, it's a pity there wasn't a console version with updated graphics instead. It should've been the other way around, with fes on the psp and p3p as a remake. Or rather, the contents should have been switched.

Offline stiny

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Best of PSP Thread.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »
- All iterations of Grand Theft Auto (Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, Chinatown Wars). No brainer.

- Silent Hill: Origins. Say what you will about the main character, the mirror mechanic, the breakable weapons or some of the puzzles. On the whole, I liked it. Pity there doesn't appear to be any more 'proper' survival horror games for the PSP besides this one.

- God of War: Chains of Olympus. Short, but fun and very well made.

- Final Fantasy I and II: 20th Anniversary Edition. Dawn of Souls-flavoured FFI-II + amped up HD visuals and sound + assorted bits and bobs = Exactly what I was expecting and I'm totally fine with that.

I've also got a mostly untouched copy of Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star kicking around in my PSP's memory stick. I get the feeling that I made a horrifically bad choice when I bought it. Does it get better? 'Cuz all the irritating, cliched animu crap is seriously giving me pause.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »
Silent Hill: Origins is so much better on PS2 that it's hard for me to consider it a great PSP game. A fully immersive game like that requires a large screen and big speakers; sitting in the dark with headphones, looking at a small handheld screen doesn't cut it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:16:25 AM »
Ys I&II Chronicles, Ys: The Oath of Felghana, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, and Ys Seven
All great games from a very underrated RPG series.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 02:33:35 AM »
I really love Ys series!!! I didn't knew that there was that many Ys games for the psp, i have only played Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. Thanks for the info bro!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:38:40 AM »
I really love Ys series!!! I didn't knew that there was that many Ys games for the psp, i have only played Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. Thanks for the info bro!!!

Np, man
I love Ys too, though its so under the radar i sometimes forget it until something resparks my memory.

Offline Deko21

• Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Vampire Hunter
  • The world is corrupt
    • Awards
Re: Best of PSP Thread.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:41:53 AM »
What? No mentions of WTF? i am dissapoint!
(click to show/hide)
"I may not be able to use the whip, but i can still kick your ass!" -Jonathan Morris

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
Patapon is a good music-oriented game.
So is Lumines.

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins is great.

Gradius Collection.

MegaMan: Powered Up

Maverick Hunter X

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions has some new content to add to the classic game.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »
Lots of great stuff on PSP.  I will never understand why it gets bashed.

The Gradius Portable Collection, Salamander Collection, and Parodius Collection.  All fantastic games, all together in one spot.  I suck at arcade shooters, so I'll never be too good at these, but they're still addicting as hell and super fun.

Silent Hill 0rigins.  I love it.  I know a lot of people hate on it because it's nothing new, but that's exactly why I love it.  So many Silent Hills after SH3 tried to innovate, and they mostly failed.  This one didn't, and it was a great success, at least in my mind.  It has some killer atmosphere and some of the best "Foggy Silent Hill" moments in the series.  I have the PS2 version as well, but I've only played all the way through on the PSP version.

God of War: Chains of Olympus, God of War: Ghost of Sparta.  Both games really do a great job of bringing the console feel and scope to a handheld.  While neither game is as good as the console installments, and both feel like a cash-in, they're both worth playing through.

Tomb Raider Anniversary.  I'm really surprised at how well this translated to the PSP.  It's a really gorgeous game, and a great portable adventure.  I prefer Tomb Raider Legend, but the PSP port of that was horribly butchered.  I wish they would release a patch for PSP Legend that gives it the controls of Anniversary, because that makes all the difference in the world.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
I wouldn't bother getting the God of War games for psp since they're re-releasing both of em for ps3 soon with enhanced graphix n whatnot..

I had a blast with Viewtiful Joe:Red Hot Rumble since 4 people can play with 1 copy of the game. Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 & 2 also has some neat games.

I have a psp go lol

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:23 PM »
Gurumin is a fun new school action/platformer

Brave story: New traveler is a great 30+ hour rpg with a good plot.

Popolocrois is the first 2 games in the series, with a new game that brings the 2 together.

Jeanne D'arc is a TRPG that can be challenging at times.

That's it for now.  8)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »
Might as well throw in my PSP collection too:

CV: DXC
Maverick Hunter X
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Gradius Collection
Tomb Raider:Anniversary
Final Fantasy I & II
Star Oceans: First Departure & Second Evolution
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Metal Gear Solid: Portable ops & Peacewalker
Metal Slug XX & Anthology
God of War: Chain of Olympus
Street Fighter Alpha 3 max (with final fight characters too. Score!  :D)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower.
Ys I & II Chronicled \
Ys Oath of Felghana  ]-collector's editions
Ys 7                       /

"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 11:41:44 PM »
A few of my PSP games are imports:

Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins - didn't really like the fetching the game had you do.
Gokumakaimura Kai - the update to UGnG, gone is the fetching (the original UGnG game I believe is included), also back to 2 hits and dead, and a continue limit. Much harder than UGnG.

Gradius Collection - loved this, found some flaws other ports of the Gradius games didn't have. Got it before I snagged the other versions of the Gradius games, doesn't get played much these days.
Twinbee Portable - Ports of all the Twinbee games from the arcades, again some flaws, the extra Twinbee Da! remake (from the original Gameboy), Twinbee Yahho is missing some voice clips, Pop N Twinbee from SNES is nice and emulated, but playing verts on a PSP proves to be very hard to do.
Salamander Portable - arcade emulations (you insert coins) of both Salamander arcade games, sadly no MSX version included, though a smooth scrolling MSX Gradius 2 is icing on the cake, possibly the best Konami port of all the collection they did on PSP. Having the arcade Xexex is awesome too, this makes this pack extremely awesome.
Parodius Portable - this is my least liked of the collections, but I love Parodius to death. Music got changed from classical folk music, to......classical folk music, and 1 DDR song. Did not like the song changes at all, plus the Gokujyou Parodius, which seems based on the PSX version, does not include the hidden extra stage in stage 2. Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius and the others all seem based on the PSX versions as well, which means frame skipping. Saturn Parodius versions were the best save for Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius, the PSX and Saturn versions are near equal.

Tags: