Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Chronicles Simon  (Read 46835 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »
+2
New Simon is best Simon.

Seriously, why do I need psuedo-designer Barbarian Simon when I have REAL Barbarian Simon (complete with Firebeard)?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2012, 11:08:11 PM »
+2
New Simon is best Simon.

Seriously, why do I need psuedo-designer Barbarian Simon when I have REAL Barbarian Simon (complete with Firebeard)?

Absolutely yes! If the rest of MoF suck total ass, at least we have like the most bad-ass incarnation of Simon yet.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Starman DX

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
+1
Actually I kind of like chronicles Simon, though its hard to say because I've never been a fan of how he looks lol. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with the NES and SNES games, but I never liked "Conan the Barbarian" Simon. His chronicles design is... intresting to say at the least, and as another user here mentioned he stands out form the other Belmonts.

His redesign is pretty good for his body anyway, but I don't really like his clothes. I guess I can't really put my finger on it. Anyway, I've always liked Trevor and Richter's designs the most, and Leon was pretty awesome too.

Offline Tavis Belmont

• Video Game Approved
  • Hunter in Training
  • Game on!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
New Simon is best Simon.

The look is cool, but does anyone else have a problem with his voice? I was expecting something even deeper and more hoarse than Gabriel. And he sounds almost... I dunno... chipper.
Defeating evil: Apparently easy.
Defeating the Lord of Darkness with a whip and some water: Damn.
"I'm a Belmont. That's my job."

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »
I've always liked Simon's sprite design in Simon's Quest...

Offline Tavis Belmont

• Video Game Approved
  • Hunter in Training
  • Game on!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »
I've always liked Simon's sprite design in Simon's Quest...

Yeah, I've never thought of Simon as a barbarian, personally. For me, his Simon's Quest box art is what I usually thought of first until the Kojima look. That's why I really like Gabe's look. You can tell it's inspired by the Simon's Quest look.

That actually brings up a good question. When you think of Simon, what color do you think of first? Red and black or tan and brown?
Defeating evil: Apparently easy.
Defeating the Lord of Darkness with a whip and some water: Damn.
"I'm a Belmont. That's my job."

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »
Tan and Brown.
Brown mostly.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »
Yeah, I've never thought of Simon as a barbarian, personally. For me, his Simon's Quest box art is what I usually thought of first until the Kojima look. That's why I really like Gabe's look. You can tell it's inspired by the Simon's Quest look.

That actually brings up a good question. When you think of Simon, what color do you think of first? Red and black or tan and brown?
Muted orange and brown.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
You're asking me directly?

Um... there are some problems with the Chronicles (X68000) version of Simon that CV4 doesn't have.  Mainly, X68000 Simon looks like he's got a back problem.  He's hunched forward, walks somewhat funny, and moves slowly even though his frames move quickly.  That is to say, he's doing a full set of walking sprites but doesn't walk as far when he's animated.

He looks like he's got Scoliosis or something.  CV4 Simon doesn't have those issues.  He stands more upright and has a more loose walking animation (I think it's the arms).
CV4 Simon has way too much leg muscle, though.  He's got some muscle gams on him.

I agree with you on this. As well as the monster designs. The animations seem a lot more fluid in SCV4. I was thinking it was just me who happened to feel this way which is why I asked your opinion directly. You're usually good with paying attention to detail. I previously recall also someone (maybe it was you) mentioning that Simon in Chronicles looks more like he is walking on his tippy toes rather than flat.

Don't get me wrong I like Chronicles, but I always found there to be some issues (even with the x6800 version) as far as how the animations, monsters and Simon are handled. I would get into the monster animations and how awful some of them are as well but since this is about Simon, I'll stick to the subject.

Heres SCV4

Super Castlevania 4 Stage 1

Now look at Chronicles

Castlevania Chronicles (Intro and Stage 1)

As you pointed out Jorge yes the back is way too arched in Chronicles. But in addition to that I also noticed the arms and legs have more of a stride to them in SCV4. Its a much more relaxed walk with the arms paced back and forth and sliding step pace. In Chronicles he seems like he is more rigid and stiff with the leg movement and arms. The arms move way too off rhythm and too fast and the legs move slower and yes have a tippy toe look to them. So this is what I mean about this particular Castlevania having very awkward movements and motions. Some even give the appearance of a slowdown.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:41:30 PM by Johnny »

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
I think Gabriel is a great 3D "Simon's Quest" Simon. However, when I think of Simon, I think of "Barbarian" Simon. He's the original and he's who I've known since I was a little kid.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:07:34 PM by Thomas Belmont »

Offline Starman DX

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
I never got the impression of Simon as a barbarian, even when I played CV1, 2 and 4. I thought of him as a village hero, like how Richter is presented. Also, red is typically the color I associate Simon with.

That being said, Chronicles design always comes to mind first, but as I said before I never really liked any of Simon's designs.

Tags: