Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Chronicles Simon  (Read 46832 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
Still, it's pretty fascinating to see Simon's design transition.

The second one was always a little wtf for me. It's good, but seems more Juste-ish than Simon. Maybe that's where Juste was inspired. Strange to see him with white hair and a rapier instead of the usual bastard sword.

I always found it interesting how much her initial Simon sketch had in common with Simon's original appearance.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »
He uses a budget Konami has granted to him. And what remains unused, is still Konami's money.

So, why would he do that? Seriously, that sounds incredibly stupid.
iga is stifling funds to buy conditioner for his wife shanoa
obviously

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
I hear he hoards the money in a huge treasure chest deep inside a volcano..and Konami hasn't noticed anything.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »
So its entirely possible he has no idea what "fashion" is during 2035 and just wears what he feels comfortable in.

Meh, 2035 is not that long from now and I don't suppose Soma and Julius should be wearing plastic space suits. It's not that far off in the future lol...
there was always this eeriness in the older work, be it the symmetry or colors that are lacking in the new ones.

Like the extremely disproportioned heads in CoD I suppose?  ;)
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
no that was just bad

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
My favorite works of Kojima are her LOI and DXC arts. And her HD artworks is nice too, except for Richter who looks like he has a severe case of backache.
I think this theory was mentioned somewhere on this forum, that she used digital coloring for the arts in HD, hence why they look so different from her usual style.

Original Simon treatment of hers, looks so much better than the final result. Make his hair a bit darker and change his leather shorts for...something, and that would be a very nice design.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
Successor and I were talking about that earlier today. He said that the original sketch probably would have won everyone over.

But I bet that Konami asked Kojima to come up with a very different and striking design, because the sprite reflecting the original sketch would have been probably too similar to CVX68k's original sprite for Simon. Hence, she then went with a white-haired, shredded-blue-nobleman's-clothes-Simon with a silver rapier before settling on something that was a compromise between the two extremes. Also, it does strongly remind me of CV2's Simon. :]

Some of those old sketches from that art book are really something, like the original black-haired Alucard and brown-haired Juste Belmont.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 04:12:54 PM »

This is the most acceptable out of those.

Knight Leon is her best original design, IMO.

..and this isn't completely terrible either:

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
Absolutely hate it. He looks like a BDSM star.

Classic Simon forever.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »
Simon trägt stilvolle Lederhosen, ja.

Maybe Kojima hates the English and preferred some Germanic clothing. Although the physique sure ain't.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2012, 01:03:44 AM »
It's... horrible. In every sense of the word.
The color scheme is too bright, the overdose of leather, that fur... thing over his shoulder, the kojimaface, the slender build that makes him look even LESS masculine than other Kojima men and well. It's not Simon, it's BDSimon. There's only one good thing about the Chronicles design - at least it's not as bad as Judgment one.

I'm glad that when NECA made Castlevania figures, they based Simon figure off classic design instead of this. Simon for me is the ultimate badass vampire hunter. Yeah, he wore leather and carried a whip around, but he was so badass he made me overlook those facts. Chronicles version on the other hand digs himself deeper.
The original blonde version of Chronicles design was a little more acceptable, but still not that good.
(Yeah, yeah, posts bordering on necro full of negative are not the best way to introdouche yourself to the forums, but well, I just hate this design so much).

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
+1
Still, it's pretty fascinating to see Simon's design transition.

Outside of the whole "half an armor" deal I quite like this design. It's mostly faithful to how he looks in the game.

Not to say I don't like Chronicles Simon, but I like the classic approach of the unused one.

Tags:

anything