Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania movie still on (nothing spectacular).  (Read 19829 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: Castlevania movie still on (nothing spectacular).
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 07:05:39 AM »
I think most regular most moviegoers would already be turned off by the title. It has to be said that "Castlevania" is a pretty dumb name.

I dunno, I like the title but maybe I'm in too much of a late 80s video game mode when I think of it. It certainly couldn't be said that your average moviegoer would think about the name in the same way us longtime fans do though. The simple and obvious solution (much to simple and obvious for Hollywood) is to just call it "Devil's Castle Dracula" or a similar translation if it ever comes out.

I still don't know how this was ever greenlit (the most popular response during the pitch probably being, "Castlewhat again??"). How could anyone think this would make money? The concept still kind of baffles me. Not to beat up on the franchise or anything, but it just doesn't seem to be a prominent enough name to evoke anything better than apathy from moviegoers.

Just...a Castlevania movie?? I mean, it still sounds so bizarre.

Castlevania could make a fun monster mash up film evoking Universal's 1940s romps, but with more teeth. That wouldn't happen though, studios are scrambling to find anything with Vampires. And the rule now is that all Vamps all decidedly post-Rice if not post-Meyer misunderstood anti-heroes. So if Castlevania is ever made into a movie I expect them to try to make Dracula sympathetic which is counter to the spirit of the series imo.

As for why they're even trying to adapt it I think RedLetterMedia explained the remake/adaptation bonanze of the last decade best in their review of "Star Trek 2009" http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/

Tags: