Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 77589 times)

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2017, 05:29:00 AM »
Just out of curiosity can I see some of the sprites you've made for the project and hear some of your music? I'd like to see what kind of progress you've made, even if it's not engine or programming related!

I need to talk to Las (didnt have much time) to see what he wants to show, I dont want to show something that he dosnt want but something you can see are this screensshots from this gallery I show a long time ago:

http://drameloch.deviantart.com/gallery/53995196/Super-Castlevania-3

The screenshot 16 been one of the most interesting idea Las have and I work to help him.

Im glad to work in this project and even if they dont use my work i dont care since I learn a lot from there and Las teach me a lot of things, Im stil not good but im trying to find my own style and when they need my help I will help in anything I can.
 Im in the team for now but since they dont need sprites I cant be of any help now.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #406 on: August 04, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
Honestly at this point in time, if its ok with Reiko and Jop, i could give out the engine for open source purposes. The game itself primarily is reliant on programming to be completed..but alot i warn you. I have a very good feeling all of what we have,plus more could fit into this game and run perfectly.But i am not sure if the sprite organization,level,design sprites,or possibly conflicting code has something to do with it.

I did have cut out a couple of levels and redo them to save sprite size sadly,but at least they are their. I keep getting people at youtube asking about this games completion aswell. To be honest, i cant really complete this game. I dont program well and to me it's a headache. I'd rather focus on what i know im solid at which is art or music. To take on a 3rd aspect is a bit much on my plate. I like the push by Reiko as of late, but other than rehasing any sprites or trying new level ideas...not sure what else i can do personally. I've considered it on hiatus,but should the right programmer dedicate themselves to finishing it...i'd say it's game on.  I can explain what goes on in the engine just not program it. It's been a while too so i'd have to refresh my memory.

I am no where near as dedicated to this project as i once was. Mainly because of asking about 40 coders or so and striking out nearly on all of them. So if anyone is interested and wants to take a stab at it, be my guest. I believe i gave Jop and Reiko the latest links to the game source,music files, and extra engines if needed. It possible i do have alot written down on my other pc about how the game's code works. If needed i can pull myself back into it again..but i dont really want to deal with programmers getting cold feet or not bothering to showing up once they commit. I can't invest time unless it is spent wisely, to complete the game. Im not trying to put a negative spin on it,but spending all that time to advance the game,even being willing to pay programmers to code, and to come up short isnt re-assuring in the slightest. I would have to say judging by fan gamers..it would have to be someone who's heart is really in it for it to happen. Maybe a longshot,but i still believe there is someone out their up for the task. Let's hope so,right!

BTW most if not all the sprites should be current in the engines, bosses,enemies,xtras. I do believe you can save them out in .png file with the same quality. I know some of what i did could use pallette tweaks,but again in terms of sprites i dont think their was much. In terms of levels,well it mainlly comes down to what could fit into the levels and want cant. I wont lie i was sorta annoyed with a couple of rehashed level i never got to do nearly half of what i had previously done...but all because of constraint to the engine.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #407 on: August 05, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
Game Maker Studio has it's quirks and limitations (as all engines do), but I honestly don't think it's the source of the problems you are having. Clickteam Fusion, which I'm using for my own project, has some really bewildering limitations in it but none of them have been a progress stopper, and I've always been able to find numerous ways to work around it. I firmly believe Game Maker Studio is the same because I've seen large, professional Metroidvania games published on Steam that play and perform very well.

I do not have your source code but I'm thinking that if you're having problems it is probably because the way it has been coded. You mention having issues with using lots of large images and sprites so it sounds like you might have difficulty with resource management, which isn't necessarily a flaw with Game Maker itself. Honestly it's something I have to deal with quite often on my own game but if you keep optimization in mind as you continue development I'm sure you'll be able to overcome these issues.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #408 on: August 07, 2017, 09:33:54 AM »
Yeah i may have to agree on that. It could very well be code related. I swear i cut down sprite sizes,level sprites sizes, even animations to sprite strips and at times the game seems fine. Many areas run smoothly At other points slow and clunky. It could also be the effects im using but im very unsure. You would defintly know more because you program. The most i was able to do is little odds and ends, and some 3d but i never did get that down perfectly. I can defintly say taking on someone elses engine while not really being able to program isnt a wise decision. However i merely tried with Reiko,Jop and others to progress the project. Either way this game would take a dedicated coder to go in an analyze what is wrong, possibly fix it, and then go through and program the rest. It's debatable wether Game maker studio or another engine would do more for the game at this point. I would say porting would be a miskake and very time consuming. Starting it from scratch that maybe a viable solution but again tedious. Again i think this all comes down to someones programming skills. I still very much get the feeling with all ive dealt with on the engine that it is actually more code related and not sprite sizes. I do feel this game even in its entirety could be completed right in this engine. Wether things get pulled or not is up to the team. I would personally like to see the special effects stay in the game. Someone worked hard to make some of them which i feel are unique and well made. BTW we still have the engine in game maker 8pro not studio. We never ported it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:35:56 AM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Tags: