Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches  (Read 44174 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »
You know, since all the women in this thread (including the FE ones) are all good-looking, feminists would probably say they're all just there to attract the "male gaze." I wouldn't count on them being satisfied until there's a game where every single character is a fat, unattractive "person of color" who's also a genderqueer, autistic otherkin. Argh :p

Not nintendo's fault they make girls like Lyn and Lilina  :P These two are are in my top three( not just because of their looks but because of their character I like Lyn because she's strong,and Lilina while I have not played 6 I do know somethings and from that I like her). But can I ask you all something from it seems that feminists seem to never be happy or overbloat one small detail to turn it being on ridiculous.

What? Regular Logic?! That has no place in this!
Not going to lie I do not get some of the things feminists( I have never really went into this topic at all) are trying to prove(and some examples seem to be crazy). But I'll stick to what I'm saying.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
Not going to lie I do not get some of the things feminists( I have never really went into this topic at all) are trying to prove(and some examples seem to be crazy). But I'll stick to what I'm saying.
Sometimes I think the more extreme ones just want to rule over men with an iron fist. :-\
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
Urban amazons, anyone?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Lilfut

• Ace Attorney
  • Objection!
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »
Spoiler alert: they're actually middle-class suburban white girls who hate that this generation is short on real problems - no great wars or anything - so they do this to feel like they're accomplishing something.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2013, 06:57:40 PM »
You know, since all the women in this thread (including the FE ones) are all good-looking, feminists would probably say they're all just there to attract the "male gaze." I wouldn't count on them being satisfied until there's a game where every single character is a fat, unattractive "person of color" who's also a genderqueer, autistic otherkin. Argh :p

Not all feminists are like this.
Why do I feel like I'm being attacked or lumped/pigeonholed along with the crazier ones?
I would just like a little more equality here and there. I don't think it's too much to ask.

What, now I'm going to be talked about left and right because I'm for equal rights for all?

I actually applaud Nintendo.
Plus Fire Emblem has a slew of character of so many types, it's kinda great. :D

Also, not every one of 'em is eye candy, but it doesn't matter because they're capable.
I have this chick in my party all the time.

And this one too:

Also, LOL Prince Peasley!

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
+1
I don't think any of us were directly addressing you, unless stated otherwise. We were mostly talking about the more extreme feminists, which you're not.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
+1 to VladCT. You're a lot smarter than most of the other feminists I've seen, Jorgey, so don't take what I'm saying to be against you personally. *purrs at you contentedly*

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
Not all feminists are like this.
Why do I feel like I'm being attacked or lumped/pigeonholed along with the crazier ones?
I would just like a little more equality here and there. I don't think it's too much to ask.

What, now I'm going to be talked about left and right because I'm for equal rights for all?

I actually applaud Nintendo.
Plus Fire Emblem has a slew of character of so many types, it's kinda great. :D

Also, not every one of 'em is eye candy, but it doesn't matter because they're capable.
I have this chick in my party all the time.

And this one too:

Also, LOL Prince Peasley!

Doroth from fe6 and meg from RD.

I'm not attacking anyone I just don't have a complete understanding of feminists and from the sound of it there are some over the top ones  with crazy reasoning.

Also you forgot vaida  :P

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:28:28 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
Actually there isn't anything particularly wrong with any of these women.
What I like is that they represents different types of women, not just 'slender weak chick'.

Well, I suppose from my perspective, we scroll back a few pages when someone asked me if I am a feminist and I say 'yea' and why.
And then we scroll to now where it's all "I hate all these feminists who do this that and the other".  But when I question it, you guys say "Not you though.  I'm talking about those OTHER feminists.  You know the type.  **insert some stereotype about feminists**

So of course I will leer at you 'cuz either
1. you think all feminists are obsessed crazy people, which by proxy, says I am crazy and obsessed.
or
2. you do not really understand the term.

Both of these things, I find disturbing.

It's akin to saying "Man I hate that black people do this that and the other... not you though, you're alright.  I'm talking about those OTHER black people.  YOU KNOW THE TYPE **insert horrible stereotype about black people here**".

At least, to me.

Or, like asking someone if they're muslim and when that person says 'yes', then a few pages later hearing some stuff like 'man I hate the way muslims do this and that and the other and are so extreme... not you though, you're alright.  I'm talking about those OTHER muslims... you know the type! **insert horrible stereotype about muslims**"

So of course, I will raise an eyebrow when I read these statements.
Not for nothing but you guys are beginning to sound as such.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
 It seems that you are misunderstanding some things, atleast I am talking of people that are obsessed with something and tries to push it in everything that they see at their front.

So its not "1." or "2.", its 3. "People that are extremist, not because of what they defend or because of what they are, but because of the way that they act".
 We are only talking about feminists right now because the topic is about that.

I've seen people like that saying that "video games are the culprit of it", "video games are the culprit of that", when the real culprit is the person that did it. I dont see people talking about this in movies and receiving the same attention and it simply happens this way because the majority of people know more about movies than games, they use this ignorance to manipulate the great masses in thinking that video games are bad, like they did with witches in the past (Im not talking about this lady now, its a example).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:24:01 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »
Actually there isn't anything particularly wrong with any of these women.
What I like is that they represents different types of women, not just 'slender weak chick'.

Well, I suppose from my perspective, we scroll back a few pages when someone asked me if I am a feminist and I say 'yea' and why.
And then we scroll to now where it's all "I hate all these feminists who do this that and the other".  But when I question it, you guys say "Not you though.  I'm talking about those OTHER feminists.  You know the type.  **insert some stereotype about feminists**

So of course I will leer at you 'cuz either
1. you think all feminists are obsessed crazy people, which by proxy, says I am crazy and obsessed.
or
2. you do not really understand the term.

Both of these things, I find disturbing.

It's akin to saying "Man I hate that black people do this that and the other... not you though, you're alright.  I'm talking about those OTHER black people.  YOU KNOW THE TYPE **insert horrible stereotype about black people here**".

At least, to me.

Or, like asking someone if they're muslim and when that person says 'yes', then a few pages later hearing some stuff like 'man I hate the way muslims do this and that and the other and are so extreme... not you though, you're alright.  I'm talking about those OTHER muslims... you know the type! **insert horrible stereotype about muslims**"

So of course, I will raise an eyebrow when I read these statements.
Not for nothing but you guys are beginning to sound as such.

I've never really been in a topic like this so I'm getting some experience.  I think you're the first feminist I've had some form of contact with. I'm not speaking for anyone just my self and trying to understand and state some of the stuff I believe in.  Guess you never really know till you have the pleasure of speaking with one face to face. Typing gets you only so far.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:26:41 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
It seems that you are misunderstanding some things, atleast I am talking of people that are obsessed with something and tries to push it in everything that they see at their front. So its not 1 or 2, its 3 - "People that are extremist, not because of what they defend or because of what they are, but because of the way that they act". We are only talking about feminists right now because the topic is about that.

Taking certain things overboard happens with alot of things. Hmm sometimes when things are put a certain way some may not want to hear what that individual wants to say so you got to approach it carfully making sure not to offend or doing anything that might dissuade someone. Hmm it's very though maybe I should go into a speech or debate class.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
They have debate classes? Nice to know since I didn't knew until now, thanks. xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »
Well this is a very sensitive topic, even asking how to correctly differentiate between equal-rights activists and outright "urban amazons" could very well end up offending the one you don't mean to. I suppose it really is a matter of eloquence.
As for the stereotype issue, I think it's a matter of self-association. I mean, I don't get that offended at the worse stereotypes of whatever group I might be a part of, as those traits don't describe who I am as an individual.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:38:35 PM by VladCT »
^^

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
They have debate classes? Nice to know since I didn't knew until now, thanks. xD

or clubs(I recall this as a club in high school) I have to ask my political science teacher about that. I'm foggy on that actually. I want to say that there is sorry if that was misinforming  :(

Speech I do know about was talking to a girl a two days ago about that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:52:55 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Tags: