Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Bad or mediocre games you like  (Read 20353 times)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
Pfil and Dracula9 I want to give you guys like +10,000 each haha!  :D I heard DmC didn't even sell 1,000,000 across all platforms but the guys throwing those figures out were haters. They said like 600k or something. Honestly DMC3 is the masterpiece of thr series and it sold less than nearly any of the others. 4 has sold the most and I think its thr worst in the serious other than 2. Sales is a really shtty way to measure worth.

By I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the game!

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »
Pfil and Dracula9 I want to give you guys like +10,000 each haha!  :D I heard DmC didn't even sell 1,000,000 across all platforms but the guys throwing those figures out were haters. They said like 600k or something. Honestly DMC3 is the masterpiece of thr series and it sold less than nearly any of the others. 4 has sold the most and I think its thr worst in the serious other than 2. Sales is a really shtty way to measure worth.

By I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the game!
Thanks for the support.
I think DmC is a very compelling game in every possible aspect.
I didn't like DMC 1 and 2, and I think the 4th game just had beautiful scenery and some nice music, but as a game I found it to be mediocre.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
On that note, DMC1 is actually my favorite of the series, despite its goofiness at times (dat grammar). It used to be 3 at the top, but the more I play 1, the higher it climbs. I dunno, I just feel like it's got some of the absolute best atmosphere of the series and that gets overlooked by first-game-of-the-series clunkiness and awkward sections (much as I feel about Silent Hill 1 and it being waaaay overshadowed by Silent Hill 2 and the more "fan favorited" titles). And also because that first fight against Mundus, regardless of the sudden shift to rail-shooter, is fucking amazing.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
Love DMC1 to bits as well as DMC3. They're both completely different games though.

DMC2 we really don't need to discuss (it's horse shit) and DMC4 was okayish; I'm impressed and absolutely terrified by the depth of the fighting mechanics, which, doubled with the god-awful level layout makes me put it down the second I try to pick it up again. Also Nero being Dante-MkII was exceedingly lazy of them.

DmC... I dunno. The demo did nothing for me. I can see why people would like it, but to me it's devoid of any charm outside of maybe the bright colors they use in some stages. I guess the aerial stuff looks kind of cool, but it doesn't look like the combat does anything the other games do better. I was hoping the plot would go "so bad it's good" like in Bionic Commando, but instead it's just kind of boring. Which bothers me way more than a game being hilariously bad.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
I've only ever played DMC1 (which I loved). What was the issue with DMC2, though?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »
A lot, IMO. For one, it just...doesn't quite have the same level and feel of action the rest of the games tend to have. Its plot is rather silly in execution (a billionaire corporate guy with a really annoying voice trying to open the Demon World and gain the power of another one of the super-demons Sparda sealed), and the female lead is really similar to Trish plot-wise(artificial demon, only she wants to stop the corporate guy because he's her maker). It plays a little awkwardly, I think, and its weapon systems on Dante's part is badly done (all swords, that vary in range and dealt damage, rather than the rest of the games which feature a balanced variety of weapon styles).

I mean, it really isn't unplayable. I don't wish I had never played it or anything, but it's not really a game I play very often. I think I've only ever beaten it three times between Dante and Lucia (the female lead who has her own shorter story on a second disc), and I generally don't ever have much desire to pick it up. It's meh, I guess.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
I've only ever played DMC1 (which I loved). What was the issue with DMC2, though?
Super short, super easy, lack of story, risible voice acting, random characters, cheesy one liners, bad music, out of context enemies, one of the worst ending I can remember...
At least from my personal point of view.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 06:23:56 AM »
Shadow the Hedgehog

I don't care what people say I love this game.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
Then let's list ShtH's redeeming qualities, shall we?
The soundtrack was quite good. I Am... All of Me was nothing short of awesome, for example.
The writing can be delightfully cheesy at times ("Where's that damn fourth Chaos Emerald?"), and at least it gave Shadow character development (though the point of the whole game is Shadow's character development).
Gameplay-wise it was still playable, unlike that rushed-out-of-the-door piece of shit that is Sonic '06.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
+3
Nosferatu on SNES!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
+1
Super short, super easy, lack of story, risible voice acting, random characters, cheesy one liners, bad music, out of context enemies, one of the worst ending I can remember...
At least from my personal point of view.

It wasn't THAT short. It was pretty easy though because the guns are way overpowered. Once you get the submachine guns, you don't really need anything else, especially in boss fights. There that one boss fight where you're standing on a platform in space and the boss is floaating and all you do it shoot it. I played it a lot back in the day because I paid full price for it when it came out  :-X THAT'S how big a DMC fan I am (if only I'd known it was wack when I bought it xD)

And I don't think the story was any worse than any of the other DMC games really. I'll give you the voice acting though. Man, Lucia's accent was so spotty lol! Dante didn't really say anything and the bad guy was just ridiculous.

DMC1 was amazing though and DMC3SE was even better, but they're very different games. 4 was definitely disappointing. If the series started to slide, it was there for sure.

Love DMC1 to bits as well as DMC3. They're both completely different games though.

DMC2 we really don't need to discuss (it's horse shit) and DMC4 was okayish; I'm impressed and absolutely terrified by the depth of the fighting mechanics, which, doubled with the god-awful level layout makes me put it down the second I try to pick it up again. Also Nero being Dante-MkII was exceedingly lazy of them.

DmC... I dunno. The demo did nothing for me. I can see why people would like it, but to me it's devoid of any charm outside of maybe the bright colors they use in some stages. I guess the aerial stuff looks kind of cool, but it doesn't look like the combat does anything the other games do better. I was hoping the plot would go "so bad it's good" like in Bionic Commando, but instead it's just kind of boring. Which bothers me way more than a game being hilariously bad.

Nero played more basic than DMC1 Dante. I have no idea what Capcom was thinking there. Whereas Dante in 4 was amazing and basically broke the game. But yeah the levels were terrible in that game. Easily my least favorite other than 2.

I was glad they didn't go the "so bad it's good" route in DmC. If anything, it was sort of a "don't be sso quick to trust the media" kind of theme in the story. I liked that the characters weren't so jokey about everything. Dante being ridiculous got old real quick in DMC3 and I think that game has the best story in the series (which isn't really saying much.)

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »
+1
I'll give you the voice acting though. Man, Lucia's accent was so spotty lol!
"He tricked me!... that macho!".
My God, that was SO, SO FUNNY!
She was adorable as a caricature  :P

Dante didn't really say anything and the bad guy was just ridiculous.
[/quote]
Indeed. Dante didn't talk. Except the cheesy "Devils never cry", which is just as ridiculous as the "Jackpot!" from DMC3, but what can I do, I really don't like Dante. I generally like Vergil, though.
I guess he can as well say "Devils never speak"  :P
And the bad guy from DMC was a funny imitation of Dracula. He was nice, though, as a horror parody.

DMC1 was amazing though and DMC3SE was even better, but they're very different games. 4 was definitely disappointing. If the series started to slide, it was there for sure.
[/quote]
DMC3 has a great and emotional story and very nice music, some nice stages and a general good gameplay.
Still, DmC (the 5th game) is my favourite). DMC3 is my close 2nd.
I believe the 4th game only have nice (I mean, BEAUTIFUL) scenarios, and nothing more.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Nosferatu on SNES!

But that game's good. D: Super awesome music, visuals, and that fun Prince of Persia style gameplay.

Only trouble is I've yet to beat it 'cos it can get kind of tough.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
Nosferatu on SNES!

Played that one too and thought it was interesting. The graphics really grabbed me like SCV4's did.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »
It's aesthetically nice, but I wouldn't compare it to SCV4, since one is an excellent game and the other one is a game that it's now almost forgotten (though I like it, because I'm into that somber look and that kind of gameplay).

Tags:

anything