Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Bad or mediocre games you like  (Read 20598 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: August 16, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
You know they are bad, or at least mediocre...
You know the music is bad, or the story doesn't make sense, or the gameplay is a complete mess, or they are terribly full of bugs and errors...
Yet you liked them back in the day, and today you have so much love for them that you still like them.
It's the bad games you like  :)

For myself, I can think of a few...

Knights of the Temple II (PC)
Medievil 1 and 2 (Playstation)
Miracle Ropis: Adventure in 2.100 (Famicom)
Frankenstein: The Monster Returns (NES)

So, what bad or mediocre games do you like?
Post some answers during the weekend, let's make this a fun thread!   :)

And with this, I say goodbye to the forum for a few days, because I am traveling again to the mountains to meet with a friend, so nice weekend to everyone, and see you all when I return!

Kisses! ♥  :-*
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
+1
MediEvil bad? D: It's got some odd controls, but I always thought it had a really cool design, graphically and otherwise.

I don't know that I consider any of the games I like to be "bad." People tell me about how awful the controls and presentation of Deadly Premonition are, but it's just not something that I recognize as being a detriment or anything. My tastes in gameplay and graphics tend to differ from the norm.

Last night I did beat Dynowarz, though. It's not a bad game per se, but there's nothing especially interesting about it.

EXCEPT THAT COVER ART HOLY HELL AWESOME

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 04:53:49 PM »
+1
Bionic Commando (the 3D one) is pretty middling outside of some bomb ass swing mechanics. I'm incredibly sad we'll never see a sequel. Not because I cared about the plot but I wanted to see the swinging at work in much better level design.

Silent Hill 4 is another one. Definitely the weakest of the original four, but it was still disturbing to the point where it's the only one of the games that's given me nightmares.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
I like the two Evil Dead games on the PS2 (Fistful of Boomstick and Regeneration) even though they're just budget hack'n slashers. Especially the first one (FoB) because it doesn't have the needless sidekick, and it was the first PS2 game I owned. Resident Evil: Director's Cut on the PS1 might be even more fun today than it was when it first came out, all the goofy thrills of a cheap zombie/haunted house movie. Overall though there are a lot more bad/mediocre movies I like than games. I suppose because no matter how bad a movie is it always progresses, while bad games usually have frustrating controls that stop you in your tracks. Speaking of which...

Medievil 1 and 2 (Playstation)

I remember wanting Medievil so bad as a kid, one of the few video games I really really wanted to play. When I finally got around to going through it a few months ago though I was less than impressed with the loose controls and bad camera angles. Bet it was a lot of fun back in the day though.

Frankenstein: The Monster Returns (NES)

What did you think of the AVGN's thrashing of it? I hate to say (because I love the CV-like premise and graphics) but it seems pretty accurate from what I've played of the game.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »
Bionic Commando (the 3D one) is pretty middling outside of some bomb ass swing mechanics. I'm incredibly sad we'll never see a sequel. Not because I cared about the plot but I wanted to see the swinging at work in much better level design.

They did make a sequel. It's also on PSN, Although it's not as fun as the first I find.

My guilty pleasure is the game series Brandish. Many reviewers say that its control scheme along with the stiff, disorientating room turn brings the game down. But I was attracted to its story and music. That and the maze puzzles were enough to challenge my brain at the time.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
Top Gun: Combat Zones

It's one of the most cheaply-made PS2 titles out there, has ugly PS1-ish graphics, bland music, and is utterly inferior to the PS2 Ace Combat games in every way. But dammit, I still love it to death and have great memories of it.

It was also made by the same people behind Superman 64. Yeah.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
They did make a sequel. It's also on PSN, Although it's not as fun as the first I find.

I believe he meant the non-sidescrolling game, not Rearmed. o .o
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »
Strip Poker..... You know, the ones with the 8 bit pictures!

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »

I enjoyed this game wayyy more than I should have, considering how I hated Bulletproof.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »
+1
Monkey Magic!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
Monkey Magic!

+1 for this, I know this game and if they did a better way to show the story it would make more sucess.

A lot of games, I play games even if they are mediocre. I cant think any name right now and that makes me really sad (my memory seems to be worsening each day, for real), I'll try to post something after sleeping, maybe I need a rest  :S
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
I believe he meant the non-sidescrolling game, not Rearmed. o .o

They've got a bionic commando game that's not side-scrolling? I've never seen nor heard of this title before.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
They've got a bionic commando game that's not side-scrolling? I've never seen nor heard of this title before.

You bet they do! (Bionic Commando - Official Trailer [HD])
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando_%282009_video_game%29). Too bad it'll never get a sequel. Controls take a little bit to get used to, but then they are absolutely amazing, and you swing with freedom of control I haven't seen in a video game before. Read below:

YES! Someone agrees! That Full 3D Bionic Commando game, despite flaws, was amazing. The swinging mechanic was the best thing I've seen this generation of games. If they had one more game to refine the level design and interactive elements, it would just dominate. It's an example of why you don't need to totally reinvent the wheel when making a 2D game 3D. They tried to translate it pretty straight up, and it was amazing. The visuals were impressive, too--swinging through that cave level felt like what I hoped a 3D Super Castlevania IV-like game would be like. Another thing I liked was the click-stick zoom in for precision shooting, and the voice acting. Story was sort of weird, but it was intriguing up to the end. And they KEPT THE CLASSIC THEME SONG! Can't recommend this game enough. Its sad when a company gets so much right in reviving a franchise, and then it gets thrown under the bus. I'll be surprised if the new rumored Contra comes anywhere close to being this faithful.

Some others I like a lot that don't get a lot of credit...

Spy Fiction (PS2), Mischief Makers (N64), Bomberman 64 (N64), Bomberman Hero (N64), Winback 1 (PS2/N64)...you know, I find I usually like the games that don't get a lot of credit. I think it's fair to say Castlevania 64 and its Legacy of Darkness follow-up  fit on this list in terms of public opinion, too, which is a shame.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:50:23 AM by RichterB »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I've remembered some:

Blasto (PSX, this game deserved and still deserves a sequel)
Tomba! (PSX, crazy story, very cool game)
Pax Corpus (PSX)
Pink Panther (SNES)
Superman (Atari 2600)
Micro Machines (PSX)
Akuji: The Heartless (PSX)
Dragon's Lair (SNES, the original one is awesome)
Rugrats 1 and 2 (PSX)

I really doesnt know how to rate a game and know if its mediocre.

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »
Micro Machines (PSX)

Oh wow, I totally forgot that existed

Tags:

anything