Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: On the other hand...  (Read 18923 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
Oh man, definitely do it in old 80s/90s anime styles! With textured cell shading to boot! Oh my god, if they could get Hideyuki Kikuchi to script the next Castlevania game, that'd be soooooo fucking epic!

Demon City Shinjuku

Wicked City

Urotsukidouji

Ninja Scroll

I'd buy a Castlevania game if Madhouse did the artwork and it was in Satoshi Kon's style. It has to be Yoshitaka Amano's style or Satoshi Kon's style, no other way around it.

Something just exploded/popped outside. Bright flash and loud noise. Everyone in the neighborhood went out to look. My cat's eyes are bugging out still 60 seconds later. Still dunno what it was.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
I don't think ANY of those you listed have the right "style" for a CV anime(or anime based game).

I've never tried to do that, re-read my post and you will know that Im only disproving that stereotype thing xD

You mentioned BroCon!?! damn... I should really watch that one. Wait, have you watched it?

Only a few seconds but I have these episodes in my PC, lack of time sucks =X

I'd buy a Castlevania game if Madhouse did the artwork and it was in Satoshi Kon's style. It has to be Yoshitaka Amano's style or Satoshi Kon's style, no other way around it.

Studios dont define artwork style so that really doesnt matter, also Madhouse worked in Death Note so if thats really would be really relevant, Judgement welcomes you. :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:27 AM »
Only a few seconds but I have these episodes in my PC, lack of time sucks =X

Studios dont define artwork style so that really doesnt matter, also Madhouse worked in Death Note so if thats really would be really relevant, Judgement welcomes you. :P

Oh. hehehe, I guess I should wait til the entire season is over. Then do a marathon.  ;)

Yup. It depends largely on the illustrator. The studios just deals with animating the base artwork.
Get the proper illustrator, add a good budget for studio, then it is good to go. I hate it when studios are not given enough money, it really shows on the changes in quality of the animation.

Offline AngelicDefier

• "Well, not bad huh?"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 03:59:46 AM »
Brothers Conflict, Free!, Saint Seiya Omega and Shingeki no Kyojin are actual anime and aren't moeblob. That's not exactly what all otakus want (I agree that great part of them are like that) and they dint are completely the entire market, there is people that watch it casually too, they are minority but they still count :P

I didnt mentioned Naruto, One Piece and Toriko on purpose, since they are a trend, we call it "modinha" here, its like something that is overated, is good but not like someone else says, but people say that its that cool ONLY because they hear another people saying this and they want to be part of something. So I try to ignore these series a bit, even if they are interesting, their Brazilian fanbase at least in some percentage acts like weaboos.

That's exactly how I felt about those animes, people told me over and over that they were the best thing out there, but when I got to watch them myself, they just didn't appeal to me as much as I thought they would. I agree with you, they do have an interesting story and take place in their own realm, but it irks me a bit how they seem a little over-rated.

And as for Castlevania, I don't think people would be completely against anime style if done right. I mean I'm a CV fan myself and played almost every single game, and unlike many fans, I appreciate the different variations that the series takes sometimes, because it keeps the series fresh and alive, even if some people think it's bad or not very Castlevania-ish.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
Here is a example of CV in anime done right:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/275/5/1/nathan_graves_and_hugh_baldwin_by_landrick1711-d4bmhlv.jpg

Also the original style from CotM and CV64 is cool too, we can call it KCEK style?

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »
I'm not really a fan of that serious anime style (like the Nathan artwork).
I don't know how to put it. I like Rosario to Vampire character designs and general look, but I don't like Hellsing (and here I prepare for an avalanch of -1 and insults  :P).

I love the design on CotM and CV64, though. Really love them ♥
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 02:41:22 PM »
I'm not really a fan of that serious anime style (like the Nathan artwork).
I don't know how to put it. I like Rosario to Vampire character designs and general look, but I don't like Hellsing (and here I prepare for an avalanch of -1 and insults  :P).
Quite frankly, I don't care for the either designs, personally. Rosario + Vampire has a generic anime look. Hellsing, the anime itself isn't bad, but I was never a fan of the character designs.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
Quite frankly, I don't care for the either designs, personally. Rosario + Vampire has a generic anime look. Hellsing, the anime itself isn't bad, but I was never a fan of the character designs.
I just love that kind of modern generic anime design (RtV, SnO, HSDxD, KWZdk...).
I tend to dislike different kind of artwork in anime, I'm a little close minded with that, I can't help it.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
Brothers Conflict, Free!, Saint Seiya Omega and Shingeki no Kyojin are actual anime and aren't moeblob
>Free
>Not moeblob
lol
Not only it is full of moe pandering bullshit, it's the lowest I've seen KyoAni going so far. This studio is a fucking joke, they only do safe anime these years.
Shingeki no Kyojin is a better example of "modinha" than One Piece, seriously. But both are exactly this.

Yeah, completely offtopic now.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
+1
I just love that kind of modern generic anime design (RtV, SnO, HSDxD, KWZdk...).
I tend to dislike different kind of artwork in anime, I'm a little close minded with that, I can't help it.
That's fine if you like it. I personally believe there is a place for everthing(as well as every type of art style). You just gotta know what works best. That also means not everything will work or at least work to be beneficial. I see it like, the dreamers idea of building a house on the beach where your yard can meet the ocean is a fantasy that sound beautiful if, in reality, it wasn't impossible, because you have to be realistic about the tide and such. Sometimes things just don't fit or mix well, and will never.

The generic anime is, IMO, very good if you want to make harem sim/rpg or a dating sim. Hell, as far as anime is concerned, I sometimes feel in the mood for something generic or cutesy(I'm pretty in tune with my masculinity to say that).

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
It's nice to find men who like that kind of anime  :)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »
While like most modern media I find little that jumps out at me in today's anime, I don't find it inherently bad. It's just a lot easier to separate the wheat from the chaff after a few years have settled the dust. That said today and especially through the decades there's been such a wide variety of styles in anime that it's hard to give a "yes" or "no" answer to whether I'd like more anime influence in the games because well, which influence?

(I think the artist must have had something against the 90s with the weird cheek shape and exaggerated eyes, but otherwise very good.)

I believe a lot of the objections to more anime style in the series comes from memories of DoS and PoR. I think the real trouble with the art in those games didn't come from the fact that it was more anime-like but stemmed, like many other problems, from an unreasonably restrictive schedule and budget. IIRC IGA said in at least one interview that he loved Ayami Kojima's work and thought she was a genius, but you can't rush genius and she really couldn't work well in a tight schedule. The artists who took up the illustration reigns probably had to work very fast and consequently felt little attachment to or passion for the series.

All that said I'd certainly be a liar if I pretended I didn't like many of Castlevania's dabblings with anime in the past. I enjoy RoB and Bloodline's styles and I adore the artwork of the N64 titles.

To me a big part of the series charm is that, like Berserk, Castlevania is a work that takes cliche Western horror and fantasy ideas and gives them a fresh twist partly because the author(s) are coming from a different cultural perspective. When done well the anime style is just a more pronounced expression of the Eastern influences that help make the series special.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:46:05 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »
90 is like Saber J and I like it (not for a CV game though).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »
90s had more style than just Saber's.

And studios don't define the style explicitly, but the art directors associated with the studios define the styles, and when a studio is supervised by the same directors and key animators year after year after year, each studio develops its own style. Studio 4oC has developed its own style seen both under Mike Arias's direction and Masaaki Yuasa's direction because one of the key animators/directors was Shoujirou Nishimi. He's as much a part of the studio as anyone else and he defines their style. Prior to Nishimi holding the position, it was Mutsuo Koseki, who worked for Madhouse and Studio Ghibli before, thus his style for Spriggan was different than what we see in S4C's works these days. Madhouse has had different directors and as such different styles, which is why I specifically stated it'd have to be Madhouse using Kon's or Amano's styles; they'd be able to pull that off, at least Kon's style, because they've worked with it for so long. Now, I would be willing to let S4C handle Castlevania, but they'd have to bring back their old staff and keep Nishimi, Arias, and Yuasa out of it; S4C did better under Kon's and Hidekazu Ohara's direction.

From the sounds of things, what people want is S4C under Yusuke Takeda's direction again (Berserk, Blood, Fatal Fury, GITS:SAC, .hack//Quantum, Sakura Taisen, Slayers: The Motion Picture, Gundam Wing). I wouldn't mind seeing him get hired on for Castlevania.

This post gave me an idea for a new topic...
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »
90s had more style than just Saber's.

You dont got it, I was talking about this image shared by Ratty, this girls looks like a character from Saber J  xD

I think Pfil wants something like this

But this conversation made me remember this:

This style is sexy as hell and make Sonia even more hotter, I would like this to be a good example.

This one is cool too

Bonus:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:56:50 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: