Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Watching all Castlevania games in chronlogical story order  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Tuxedo Mark

• Vampire Hunter
  • I love Sonia Belmont.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Legends (GBC)
Watching all Castlevania games in chronlogical story order
« on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »
I just thought it would be fun to do this in October to celebrate Halloween. I'm watching the story-related parts (openings, boss battles, cut scenes, closings), not the entire playthroughs.

First, I watched the Lament of Innocence, which is basically an extended prologue for the saga.

Then I watched the "Curse Trilogy" (Legends, Dracula's Curse, Curse of Darkness).

Then I moved on to Christopher's two adventures: Adventure / Adventure ReBirth and Belmont's Revenge.

Tomorrow, I'm going to tackle every telling of Simon's first adventure as well as Simon's Quest.

I was curious if anyone ever attempted something similar.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Watching all Castlevania games in chronlogical story order
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
This won't be a very fruitful endeavor, you know. There isn't enough story in Castlevania to warrant scouring through the entire series for its plot alone; in fact, most CV titles are assorted with a precious lack of intrigue. The games are there to be played, not to be "watched".

Then I watched the "Curse Trilogy" (Legends, Dracula's Curse, Curse of Darkness).

There's no such thing as a "Curse Trilogy". Besides having little to do with CVIII, Legends was its own "origins" tale, retconned from the canon continuity after LoI.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: Watching all Castlevania games in chronlogical story order
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
I like this idea! Bare and silly as the storyline of Castlevania often may be, it's a big part of the charm imo. The fact that the overarching storyline has become as complex as it is with an origin of hobbled together creature features, mythological monsters and other groovy ghoulies, and a humble "Look, monsters! Go get them!" premise is rather endearing. To me and I suspect to many others here.

There's no such thing as a "Curse Trilogy". Besides having little to do with CVIII, Legends was its own "origins" tale, retconned from the canon continuity after LoI.

While it's apparent that the game was removed from continuity sometime during production I think it's pretty obvious the original intention was to have Trevor be Sonia's baby with Alucard, which would make a very compelling connection between the Belmonts and Dracula I think. It's not that hard to reinsert it into continuity for those who wish to. It's kind of funny, as I understand it Legends started off as an important storypoint but then became a Gaiden, while Bloodlines started as a Gaiden then became a significant point in the story.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:37:07 PM by Ratty »

Tags:

anything