Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Has LoZ gotten Silly?  (Read 8003 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
The Legend of Zelda is 28 years old with many titles in the franchise, but it wasn't until recently when Nintendo officially ties every (canon) title into a single split timeline.
The Zelda franchise has been beloved since day 1 and by god anyone who criticizes this thing is usually burned to the stake by the "hardcore" Zelda fans, but why?
Has The Legend of Zelda gotten stupid? Has Nintendo made some major flaws to hinder the enjoyment of the series? No, but it has gotten really stupid when trying to tie it all together. I'm going to share some reasons why LoZ has gotten pretty silly over the years...

15 generations of Zelda, This one became obvious as Ocarina of time points to Twilight Princess, 100 years in between each other leaving rough 2 to 3 generations in between, you get Grand-daughter Zelda who looks completely identical to her Grandmother except a Brunette and has pretty much all of the same traits, I know the Repetition is a regular thing with Nintendo but come on! when all you hear about this "royal family" is a line of Zelda's who all look alike and occasional nameless Kings, you can't help to think it's getting idiotic, a simple solution is have a few Queen Marys and Prince Johns to expose a larger family so the whole Zelda thing could be seen as Tradition, also would it kill anyone to make these Zeldas look more apart from each other? Skyward Sword did this with a Genuine feel and Fleshed out it's Zelda to make her unique from the others.

The Legend of Zelda should have stayed as a Legend, not a chronicle. To me, this franchise is still much more digestible in the point of view that the player is being told a story, a Legend of a Hero who saves the land, as time passes the player hears more stories from different people on to what happens next. A multiverse approach is also a more technical, more accurate term. Having a single timeline just seems stupid when given that Link 1's adventure had more beneficial items than Link 2, why settle for a master sword when you can get the job done much quicker with the four-sword? it raises the question of who keeps setting up all these dungeons and putting the Master Sword back? Does every Link have a duty to put everything back after every adventure?

The Strongest reason on to how this franchise has gone at least a little bonkers... The Fan-base, oh God the fan-base is cancer!
When a new game releases, They usually buy it on impluse, and the majority argues how it's never as good as Ocarina of Time which is better than sex apparently.
When a fanboy "versus" happens, Link is always decked out with every piece of equipment from every title as if all Links became one, Death-Battle shared some of that.
It's the mixture of overly defending the Franchise while simultaneously bitching about how not perfect it is just so they can say it's perfect later on (Wind Waker).

28 years later, has Nintendo be tarnishing this franchise? Honestly, I won't matter really, Nintendo is neither going to stop making the games nor experiment with the series to a further extent. I love/hate the series as some games I absolutely love and some I find reasons to dislike them, but would it really kill Nintendo to make something new and non-gimmicky happen to the franchise? a Change of Setting, Time Period, Role reversal, or even a game that doesn't feel like you've already done this a few hundred times?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
Short answer: No
Long answer: Nooooooooooooo

Reason?  It's a videogame.  It doesn't have to follow our universe's laws of genetics, or physics, or science.  I could just point to the easy Simpsons retort: "A Wizard did it" to deflect any criticism.  The things you're pointing out are so minuscule and yet you're making giant arguments about 'em.  It's a game so it doesn't have to make sense.

I've played a game where a cosmic being asks another cosmic being to create stars by rolling things into a ball.
I've played a game where you create the universe only if you pass challenging tests involving cubes tumbling down a long corridor.
I've played a game where everything is trying to kill you, including what appear to be health items.
...games don't have to make perfect sense, they just have to be fun.

The Legend of Zelda games are fun to play.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
I do find some silly-ish things about the recent Zeldas then say the very early ones. And more often the not the sillyness detracts from what the early games portrayed which is unfortunate as the early games are my absolute favorite. I feel that the whole silly business started with OoT. When I first got into that game there was quite a bit of sillys going on that left me scratching my head. It wasn't integral to the story nor did it serve any useful purpose except to offer humor. But Zelda games do not need humor to survive as they are really good games on their own merit. The recently released timeline is also a silly matter as I strongly feel that the first four Zelda titles; LoZ, AoL, AlttP and LA take place in their own separate continuity and OoT reboots the franchise in a new continuity. One of the major sillyness that keeps on cropping up is the reuse of side characters from OoT. That is utterly ridiculous. The only ones who should reappear are Zelda, Link Impa and Ganon. That's it! Everyone else who's a side character, find a game and stay there!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:14:45 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
I wish theyd go back to more of the oldschool roots like in LttP and the original on NES. It started gettin too cutesy and kiddy after that. Still good games all around but they need to change formats to keep goin forward. I mean even tho they tried to age up in TP and even some in SS its not what needs to happen. I mean it needs to go somewhere between Skyrim and Dark Souls and stay there for 5-10 games before they go back to the kiddy cartoony stuff.

Also dont forget 4 swords is free on the nintendo store for the next few days!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
Twilight Princess went the realistic-ish route, and it's just not a memorable entry into the series.
Wind Waker, went the other way and it even got an HD remake, hehehehe.

I think the people want the cartoon Link. :3
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
I don't know what games you guys are playing, but the Zelda series I've played all my life has never been what I would call serious even when they go for a more realistic style they still have tons of silliness. In reference to the early games, take into consideration that the game manual back then was part of the experience and they had chibi illustrations.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:24:43 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »
none of the original zelda artwork was silly or kiddy. It looked like typical anime from that time period but thats cause it was a japanese game. I dont know how of it could be considered anything but serious tho

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »
The entire series is roughly based on a loop of a youth (often a literal child) being tasked to save a woman who is usually a deadset clone of her ancestors (disregarding the generation gaps involved, naturally), from a perpetual antagonist who shares the name with a long-dead king; but who is actually a thief (who apparently hasn't stolen much more than a magical geometric entity/item) who is also a pig-man. The youth, who is also of a seemingly eternal bloodline(even though he's always the last of the line), must brave hideous demons, alternate realities that can oftentimes be controlled with a simple household item, and oft-lethal traps and dungeons that older, more experienced, and better-equipped warriors might otherwise avoid. And yet the kid pulls it off every time.

Oh, and one time he turned into a pink bunny, because reasons. We also can't forget that he has a natural affinity for befriending anthromorphic creatures (especially fish-people who sell flippers), and can summon the AFLAC mascot as a method of Fast Travel.

So obviously this series takes place in the far future, and Link is a descendant of Al Gore, and Ganon is Manbearpig trying to forever eliminate the bloodline of his archenemy.

Yeah, I don't really take the Zelda series too seriously. Especially when it can be easily derailed into utter nonsense. All the serious aspects of the series, such as the creation, divine laws, and Goddess mythos (which could be interpreted as its own religion in the same wavelength as Tolkien's mythos), weren't officially created/recognized until the more recent installments.

It's like Jorge said; it's a game. It doesn't have to make sense in a real-world sense, even if it's BASED in a real-world setting.

And every fandom has its ridiculous members. The Zelda franchise is no exception, it just happens to be more vocalized by its more wacky members (subsequently meaning that part gets more attention), as is usually the case. Nothing new there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:06:55 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:15:44 PM »
dont forget that all of that happened almost entirely in OoT... cept for the pink bunny part. And thats where the series really stayed afterward. Not only in design but also gameplay. Zelda 1 and 2 and in a lot of ways even LttP were way less cutesy/kiddy specially the first 2. I blame nintendos always gotta be kid friendly and rated E approach from the SNES days and forward for whats happened to ALL of their franchises

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
Uh, I'm pretty sure Link has been a child, Zelda a fully grown woman, and Ganon a pigman thief in far more games than just Ocarina. The pink bunny was in Link to the Past (in which Link was around ten or so IIRC), and most everything else I listed has been part of the Zelda formula since the very beginning (barring the reality-changes, Link to the Past also set the bar in that regard with the Moon Pearl and Mirror).

And Nintendo's kept on the E rating because that's what they've been successful with so far. There's really nothing wrong with an E rating (especially since it's not like Nintendo's made any Silent Hills or God of Wars or Resident Evils in its time), either. Nintendo's kind of the Lawful Good of the gaming industries, after all.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 12:27:36 AM »

pretty sure Link wasnt a kid in zelda 1... Young maybe. A kid no

Offline Aelfwine

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 2nd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 12:58:32 AM »
But Link was only ten in the first Zelda game. Hyrule Historia has the Adventure of link occurring 6 years after the first when Link turns 16.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:19:31 AM »
Ten counts as a kid, Dale.

And even if the first game gets ruled out, he's around ten in ALTTP, he's a kid in Ocarina and Majora and I think Wind Waker IIRC.

EDIT: Dat old Princess Zelda art, though.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
Link is ten in the original Zelda and 16 in AoL, but in OoT he's far too young in my opinion. Somewhere around five or six I'd wager. Being ten is more realistic in that Link is at the age where he can properly use a sword and shield without being encumbered.

The rabbit aspect in AlttP was due to the Dark World's influence on Link. It reflected the good that was in his heart and thus he became a rabbit. Having the Moon pearl negates this effect. Ganon was a pig-like beast because that's what the Triforce reflected in his heart when he touched it and wished for absolute power. Thus he became the monster we're all familiar with.

Many of these so-called cutesy aspects have reasonable explanations behind them and they don't come out as being all that silly. But when we go into the latter games (OoT +) we have other types of silly elements that don't have the same solid explanations behind them and more often the not, come out as just being silly. Take the character 'Tingle' as one good example of this silliness. He just floats around in inflatable tights and no real solid explanation besides the fact that he's a cartographer. To me that's not what the Zelda series is known for portraying. I'd rather it stick to the classic European fantasy elements that the original games were famous for. Those games started the whole Zelda series and to me personally they properly reflect what The Legend of Zelda is all about.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
I dont care what an official timeline says that was made in 2011... after all the games had been out and they tried to make it all make sense. I dont believe that at the time zelda came out on the NES that Link was intended to be that young. And the artwork from the game goes along with that. In a few more years what if another metroid game comes out and they release a timeline that says Samus was spose to be 13 in the original game. Who would buy that? Same principle here. The original Zelda on NES was a fantasy adventure game firmly set in the standard medieval swords and sorcery setting. The 2nd game followed that pretty closely and expanded on it. It wasnt until LttP and ESPECIALLY OoT that it took the silly kiddy turns that its stuck to since.

Tags:

anything