Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Romhacking?  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 04:41:53 AM »
Actually changing the music wouldn't really be needed, I think. The problem with HoD's music is just low quality samples. That can be changed without messing with the music itself. As a matter of fact IIRC one of the palette upgrade projects for Final Fantasy VI also replaced all the crappy samples in the GBA version with the samples from the SNES version and it is infinitely better. So it seems like it could be done for HoD, too.

I'm not sure about how rom expansion works for GBA, but since those games *seem* to use a file system like most modern games it may not be much of an issue at all.

So how about replacing all the HoD samples with ones from SCV4 or CVDX? There are already programs that can rip the snes samples with little effort.

That sounds potentially like it's possible but probably some pioneering would have to be done on how exactly the samples are stored, and the format and such which one would have to discern.

Also I recall in interviews about HoD, devs saying they used the original Gameboy sound chip within the GBA to produce HoD's music or something like that (hopefully I'm not wrong in that regard). I wonder if that would have any implications for this. Maybe the sample format for GB-style music wouldn't really allow one to insert very high quality samples and have it work properly?

But this just some idle speculation from me. Music hacking is extremely out of my league.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »
I think if HoD held out until the GBA-SP, it wouldn't have any of it's poor design choices.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags:

anything