Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Romhacking?  (Read 8778 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:06:58 AM »
How about some romhacks that improve the definitive experience of certain Castevania games, and better yet come up with a few romhacks.

A few hacks that improved the experience,
Simon's Quest Re-translated + map
the Adventure speed hack
Belmont's Revenge speed hack
Legends Speed hack
Harmony of Dissonance Palette hack

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:15:41 AM »
Two of those have already been done. And by the way, these are NOT links to any illegal rom files. These are links to pages with the .ips files that you can use to patch a rom to turn it into a hack:

Re-translated Simon's Quest with map feature:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

Castlevania: The Adventure speed hack:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/190/

As far as Belmont's Revenge and Legends goes, why would you want speed hacks? Those games do not suffer from the slow speed that CV: The Adventure has going on.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »
Personally the only thing I would hack in terms of Legends would be to give Sonia a longer vampierkiller like her fellow brethren and to improve some of the background graphics a bit, just to bring them on par with 'The Adventure' and Belmont's Revenge'.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:03:38 AM »
Still waiting on a level editor for any Metroidvania CV  :-[

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:55:09 PM »
I wonder, since the Palette hack helped HoD a ton (finaly got around to playing it)
I wonder if we could do some more modifications to HoD to get it on par with what it should have been (in terms of quailty), there is grey that could be colored, i'm not sure if we could replace all the music with higher quality versions, but to get it on CoTM/AoS standards and not that CV that looks and sounds ugly but is still very good

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:44:54 PM »
Seems like you'd need to find someone who could create GBA sound format music for that though. Probably pretty uncommon.

I'm also not sure that the extreme use of grey in HoD was unintentional. It was probably part of the intended atmosphere, and HoD certainly has a rather unique atmosphere.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Didn't someone make a hack of HoD with both newer music (from AoS) and starring Julius Belmont?
I recall another that had Alucard.  What ever happened to those?

I can't find my "awesome Sonia Sprite with a Sword & better-looking enemies" Castlevania Legends JPN hack IPS file...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »
Yeah, but I wan't to Hack in improvements, not really addons (Revenge of the Findesiecle has that covered)
basically, I just wanna update Pemburu Vampir's Hack but with more adjustments and redone music...

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »
Didn't someone make a hack of HoD with both newer music (from AoS) and starring Julius Belmont?
I recall another that had Alucard.  What ever happened to those?

I can't find my "awesome Sonia Sprite with a Sword & better-looking enemies" Castlevania Legends JPN hack IPS file...

I helped make the Alucard hack along with a friend of mine (CoolStark720).

But the video that was released got so much shit at the time that my friend got completely discouraged and gave up on hacking.

We had planed for future mods for other games like AOS for instance but in the end it never happened.

Check the video here to see what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnYyUJndIbA
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:14:50 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
Seems like you'd need to find someone who could create GBA sound format music for that though. Probably pretty uncommon.

I'm also not sure that the extreme use of grey in HoD was unintentional. It was probably part of the intended atmosphere, and HoD certainly has a rather unique atmosphere.

Actually changing the music wouldn't really be needed, I think. The problem with HoD's music is just low quality samples. That can be changed without messing with the music itself. As a matter of fact IIRC one of the palette upgrade projects for Final Fantasy VI also replaced all the crappy samples in the GBA version with the samples from the SNES version and it is infinitely better. So it seems like it could be done for HoD, too.

I'm not sure about how rom expansion works for GBA, but since those games *seem* to use a file system like most modern games it may not be much of an issue at all.

So how about replacing all the HoD samples with ones from SCV4 or CVDX? There are already programs that can rip the snes samples with little effort.

Speaking of hacks... I had an idea for a CotM hack.
My idea is to rework the game as a prequel for Bloodlines/PoR/OoE.
Rework the cast:
- Morris Baldwin -> Baldwin Morris, Quincy's grandfather.
- Hugh Baldwin -> Hugh Morris, Quincy's uncle.
- Nathan Graves -> Nathan Morris, Quincy's father.
- Hunter Whip -> Vampire Killer.
- And maybe... Carmilla -> Elizabeth Bartley, but not for the regular boss fight.
Remove Dracula entirely, and only show the coffin thing from OoE.
The whole thing will be about Carmilla trying to resurrect Dracula and she will be the last boss instead of Him.
The rivalry between Hugh and Nathan will be a bit deeper since they are now brothers, and Hugh will be ignorant of the price of using the Vampire Killer until after the battle against him.
And in the ending Baldwin will suggest taking Dracula's remains to an organization he knows of that is researching ways to defeat the Dark Lord.
Giving the graphics an upgrade wouldn't be bad either.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:42:12 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »
I helped make the Alucard hack along with a friend of mine (CoolStark720).

But the video that was released got so much shit at the time that my friend got completely discouraged and gave up on hacking.

We had planed for future mods for other games like AOS for instance but in the end it never happened.

Check the video here to see what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnYyUJndIbA

That's not the hack I'm talking about.  The hack I saw had a shrunken Symphony of the Night Alucard sprite.  This appears to be Juste Belmont with a different color palette and a few sprite changes here and there.  The hack I'm talking about also had Alucard doing sword attacks and other stuff.

The Julius one had music from AoS in the HoD game.

EDIT:  I think this one is the Julius one:
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance HACK - Participação JULIUS
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:39:04 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 01:08:13 PM »
That's not the hack I'm talking about.  The hack I saw had a shrunken Symphony of the Night Alucard sprite.  This appears to be Juste Belmont with a different color palette and a few sprite changes here and there.  The hack I'm talking about also had Alucard doing sword attacks and other stuff.

The Julius one had music from AoS in the HoD game.

EDIT:  I think this one is the Julius one:
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance HACK - Participação JULIUS

I think the one your talking about is the Demon Juste hack that was included in the castlevania harmony of dissonance revenge on the findersiecle hack, It had juste recolored with a dark green jacket and gave him super speed and a sword.

Because I honestly can't recall ever seeing a actual Alucard sprite being put into HOD, there was a hack that had a shrunken Alucard sprite in Aria of Sorrow, but not Harmony of Dissonance.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »
Found this one with Alucard replacing Soma.  A decent job, but it's Aria of Sorrow, not Harmony of Dissonance:

Let's Play Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow Alucard Hack #2 Backdashing to the Chapel

But I totally remember a HoD with a shrunken version of this Alucard.  No it wasn't just a Juste recolor.
You must obey Da Rulez!

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »

But I totally remember a HoD with a shrunken version of this Alucard.  No it wasn't just a Juste recolor.

But do you remember where you saw it?

Because I constantly check for new hacks for CV games and have been doing so for a while and don't recall ever coming across such a hack.

Not calling you a liar by any means, but I'm honestly interested in seeing if there actually was such I hack, because I would love to check it out.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
I saw it here.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: