Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I need help with a game.  (Read 7795 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »
If I where to create a Metroidvania game in the style of SOTN, what programming language should I use?
Python, Java, C++. etc. Anything goes. I am planning to create a sequel game to SOTN based on Castlevania Nocturne of Reminiscence.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
As someone whos working with games and the such, I'd advice you to use Game Maker and it's built-in language. I found it much much easier than any other language I tried (and I'm no programmer), with fairly powerful results. Google "Esco Castlevania" to see someone who's remaking SotN with Game Maker, and look here on this very forum for a Haunted Castle remake being made by Dracula9, they both demonstrate that one is able to make a perfect copy of Castlevania mechanics, both classic and modern ones, and even better things.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »
With Game Maker, you'll have to buy standard edition to make anything worth a damn though. If you want to do it from scratch instead of using an engine, you might want to try C++. Uzo was working on a nice-looking Castlevania project with it, until...well, to grossly sum it up, real life happened.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »
If I where to create a Metroidvania game in the style of SOTN, what programming language should I use?
Python, Java, C++. etc. Anything goes. I am planning to create a sequel game to SOTN based on Castlevania Nocturne of Reminiscence.

Well, he never said "free language". Game Maker DOES do some cool things on the free editions, but indeed, he'll have to buy it so he can have access to everything the engine can do.

PERSONALLY, the money was one of the best I ever spent. Even though Game Maker Studio is still in development (with new features being added in real time to it, sometimes o.O), I was finally able to kick forth my projects and am seeing them finally gaining life.

For me, it was the easiest experience, with the quickest payoff. But, as VladCT put, C++ might also be good, since it was my second option to learning Game Maker.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:27:06 AM »
Don't start from scratch. Really... just don't. Unless you're planning to do it purely for learning. It will take much longer, and you'll probably quit because of how arduous it'll be.

That said, if you do... I'd say use something like C# or Java, one of the ones that has an API you can take advantage of.

Also, even though I don't use Game Maker, I did play with it a bit. And they're right. It really does not take long to get something working. Hell, making a character move back and forth on a platform took like 20 minutes and zero code (iirc).

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
All right. I'll try Gamemaker out. I tried it once, but never got very far. Should I make a gamemaker CV engine from scratch? I've barely even touched it before.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
I found a few tutorials on youtube that helped me make a castlevania engine. I never finished the engine, but I learned a lot from it.

how to make 8-bit castlevania movement on game maker part 1 of 4

This is for 8 bit castlevania, but I think you can also apply it to any sort of castlevania game.

how to make a CastleVania game part 1, walking, crouching, jumping

Here's another one by the same person on making a castlevania game Dracula X style.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
Hey, ZeroSaber. Never thought I'd see you on here. It's Lamda Bamda from Inc.

Did you drop that X9 project you had going, or are you just pulling for multiple ones at once?

If it's a Metroidvania engien you're looking for, I have LeoPedrozo's old one for Game Maker I can send your way. It's not perfect and needs a lot of fine-tuning, but most of the basics are there.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
Hey Lamba! No, I dropped X9  :(. It's not really the style of game I would really enjoy making. Also, go ahead and send the engine.
Is it any good?

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »
I might as well post some ideas. :P
1. Richter alt. Outfit
2. Maria alt. Outfit
3. Maria alt. Outfit 2
4. Capeless Alucard
(click to show/hide)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »
Be sure to check out Multimedia Fusion and Clickteam 2.5 as well. That is what I am using for my game.

Vamprotector: Stage 0 - Prologue Playthrough 4-5-2014

Clickteam Forums have loads of examples and help for people trying to create games especially 2D ones.  It's even better now that Fusion 2.5 is out and you can even buy a guide for 2.5 on the Clickteam Forums through Amazon on top of the endless youtube vids and sites with working examples.

A lot of people tend to hate on MMF2 because it does have a steep learning curve if you don't invest the time with it but I didn't find anything wrong with it and this is my 1st game I have ever made with it.

Clickteam Forums: http://community.clickteam.com/forum.php
Working Tutorials: http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2tutorials.htm

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 03:28:27 PM »
I tried MMF2 about a year ago. It didn't work too good for me. :(
Does anybody know how to make a slide code for a SOTN size Richter Belmont in GMK 8? I can't figure out how to.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »
I've got an engine you can use, I just have to locate the extra hard drive it's on. Due to a problem I ran into Saturday, I moved it somewhere and have to find it again.

tl;dr found bedbugs, proceeded to move everything, wrap and pitch the bed/boxspring, and napalm the living fuck out of everything in my living space every other day

and of course i forgot which trashbag/box i put the drive in :/

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 07:03:14 PM »
Alright, thanks Dracula9. Also, what do you guys think of my sprites? I found an engine and started working on it, but I can't seem to get the slide to work for Richter. Here's the engine (slide sprites are already on there) http://www.filedropper.com/gamephysics

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »
Hey I know how to add a slide feature. I can make a tutorial for that if you want.

Tags:

anything