Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: King Of Fighters XIV coming next year  (Read 3480 times)

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« on: September 15, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
http://kotaku.com/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-announced-for-playstation-4-1730725906
I wonder what the roster will be like this go around  :-X
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: King Of Fighters XIV coming next year
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »
About time! No wonder it was taking a while. They are using a new engine. There goes my dreams of seeing Vanessa in HD sprites.

It may be PS4 but it does look pretty last gen though... Oh well. Something is better than nothing I guess.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »
KoF 94-XI (including 02 UM and 98 UM in this) are the only KoF's that have mattered to me, nothing will change. The only thing that interests me is what kind of story, and hero will SNKP go with this time.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 04:01:44 PM »
The only thing that interests me is what kind of story, and hero will SNKP go with this time.

Something dumb and someone dumb, based on their current history. Bring terry back as the hero or something. Speaking of which, they better give Terry back the Power Dunk.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
Something dumb and someone dumb, based on their current history. Bring terry back as the hero or something. Speaking of which, they better give Terry back the Power Dunk.

Seeing crap like that video showed, really makes me appreciate KoF XI and 98 UM for how gorgeous the sprites were. Sure they were recycled, and had some jaggies to them, save for KoF XI, which smoothed them out. They uglied two of my favorite sprites with 12 and 13, Athena and Mai, one had a huge forehead, the other looked like she turned into a little girl. I could never forgive SNK for that, and though I bought KoF XIII, I do not play it. Then they didn't bring back one of the series breath of fresh air with Momoko (she's pretty badass, though not strong) save for a Psycho Soldier team ending in XIII, and returned Terry back to his Fatal Fury look after finally giving him a  change of clothing into his Mark of the Wolves outfit that 03 and XI retained from that game.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 10:34:26 PM »
Man, what is up with Kyo's face?  Why does the game look more like a 3D fighter in style?

Bring terry back as the hero or something.

Terry was never the hero of KoF; he was the hero of the Fatal Fury series.  Speaking of which, why hasn't SNK revived Fatal Fury?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:49:42 PM »
The last time I played KoF was during the PS2 era.
This is interesting news for me.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 01:09:19 AM »
I'm hoping the final release looks better graphically. XIII had a decent art style and animation, not sure if this classifies as a step up.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 07:06:33 PM »
KOFXII and XIII had great sprite animations but the art style messed it up.   I mean look at their faces and the limbs of some characters (King, Joe, Yuri, etc).   If it wasn't for the quality of the sprite and sprite animations, people would see how the art style weakened and ruined some of the KOF characters.  I actually prefer sprites like during the KOF 96 era compared to the goofy art style and dumb design decisions they use in the latest 2D KOFs since KOF 2001.    KOF 2003 has better sprite art style than the later ones (well XI kind of copied KOF 2003's) but XII and XIII was downhill with art direction (though the backgrounds were a huge step up). 

I'm liking KOF XIV's serious and sharp art style, which looks more mature like the first KOFs, though would have to see more of it to be sure.   

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:04 PM »
I liked the KoF Maximum Impact games, it was nice seeing them fleshed out in 3D.  With a 2 generation advancement, I'm hoping for something far greater.  Though yeah, I certainly hope the trailer is not indicative of final results.

Roster.  Hmm, guess I'd want the characters I tend to play the most.  Who happen to be a mostly female roster.  Athena, King, Yuri, Kula Diamond, though I do enjoy playing some classic male characters like Terry, Kyo, Joe Higashi, and Benimaru.

Tags: