Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania CD. Jazzyvania : Symphonies of the Knight (now launched)  (Read 14261 times)

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

As I am getting closer to finalizing things, and am beginning the process of paying licensing fees, I just thought I'd share some (hopefully) exciting news.

As you may have gathered from another post of mine in the "What can we do to convince Konami" thread, I've personally been working on a Castlevania music CD to be released later this year quite simply because it's just about the only (legal) thing that a fan could realistically hope to create that is distinctly Castlevania related. I've had the idea and inspiration for making such a tribute for quite a long time now, and with the series pretty much now defunct, now seemed the best time for me to go forward with such an endeavor, especially with this being the 30th year anniversary!

With that being said, here's a list of songs I am currently submitting for licensing. In no particular order, other than by title...

Crystal Teardrop (SOTN)
Wandering Ghosts (SOTN)
Lost Painting (SOTN)
Waterfall (CV IV)
Submerged City (CV IV)
Theme of Simon Belmont (CV IV)
Pillared Corridor (IV)
Forest of Monsters (IV)
Knight Corridor / Entrance Hall (IV)
Opposing Bloodlines (Rondo of Blood)
Portrait of a Ghost Ship (Rondo of Blood)
Bloody Tears / Out of Time  (CV2 / CV 1)
Vampire Killer (CV1)
Revenge (CV: The Adventure)
and...one special Easter Egg~to be revealed later.

Overall, I would say the flavor of this particular work is a lot more varied than my last one.  Some tracks are geared more towards traditional jazz, others bossa nova, a few are atmospheric/classical, some more rock-ish, and others are more of a new-age or EDM flavor.  I'm really happy with how things are turning out so far, and am hoping that this collection will help breath some new life into some of these classics, especially given how much of a propensity some of these tunes can have towards purely metal feel these days...

Here's to just about the only thing a fan can do these days to celebrate the memory!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:00:35 AM by Jazz Paladin Productions »
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
Re: Upcoming Castlevnia CD : Rondo of the Knight (tentative title)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
Oh, this looks really cool! :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
This sounds interesting, Wandering Ghosts arranged with flamenco or bossa nova elements was always something I wanted to hear.

Do your best!!

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
This sounds interesting, Wandering Ghosts arranged with flamenco or bossa nova elements was always something I wanted to hear.

Do your best!!

I actually considered doing Wandering Ghosts as such, but seeing as how someone already did such an interpretation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwuahrUGpSs

Consequently, my arrangement is more of a New Orleans brass band style.

However, I do have a flamenco/bossa style arrangement of Bloody Tears that I produced last year. (The CD arrangement will be different)

https://open.spotify.com/track/1N11cW8xLPRvOY8cJ3G21n
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »
So, just for some additional info, here's what I can say about each track so far.

Crystal Teardrop--In some ways this is a very straight forward upgrade from SoTN. Yet, at the same time, it is very, very distinct, with some great jazz overlays of trumpet and tenor sax making it oh-so-much like a jazz club quartet.

Wandering Ghosts --When SoTN first came out, I was in a New Orleans style street/brass band. I think Wandering Ghosts had quite a bit of an impact on my playing style, and left quite an impression on me that lasted to this date, but I think I will always associate the time period I first heard the song with the jazz bands I was in at the time. Consequently, I am rather amused that my take on Wandering Ghosts ended up being a Mardi Gras style featuring tenor sax and blazing trumpets and trombones.

Lost Painting --A very straight-ahead conversion of the original piece, featuring muted trumpet.

Waterfall  Also very genuine conversion, also with muted trumpet for the melody. Makes me feel like I'm watching a smokey, murder mystery or cheesy detective story. ;)

Submerged City -- Talk about a tough piece to faithfully convert to real instrumentation! The difficulty in upgrading old midi tunes is that they can be nigh impossible to play in real life given the "perfect" nature in which they are often sequenced with a mouse. Fortunately, I think I managed to do justice to the vibe of the original while also giving a very lounge-like feel. This one is very akin to a traditional jazz quintet with trumpet and tenor sax, and a groovin' upright bass solo just like in the original. Castlevania fans may also catch hints of another CV IV song towards the end...

Theme of Simon Belmont--Big Band Style Baby!

Pillared Corridor --More of a rock arrangement. I suppose someday I'll have to go back and do a more "faithful" rendition, but for now, this is how it's rollin'.

Forest of Monsters  --Highly atmospheric. I had a lot of fun with this one, while at the same time almost pulling my hair out. Playing bass clarinet was easy enough for me, but I never realized how tough it is to record/mic such a beast and still end up with a consistent and natural sound. But it worked, and has some great low-end vibe to it.

Knight Corridor / Entrance Hall -- Starts out as a sort of baroque trumpet fanfare, but gradually evolves into something a bit more sinister. And then there's the big joke at the end...

Opposing Bloodlines -- Big Band Style again, baby!

Picture of a Ghost Ship (Rondo of Blood) Electronic Dance Music meets soprano sax and trumpet! Easily my wife's favorite so far, especially since it's so much "out" of my usual style of performing.

Bloody Tears / Out of Time  : Slow Techno

Vampire Killer : Bossa Nova jazz quartet with tenor sax and trumpet.

Revenge : This piece sounds so evil and wicked. My wife says this sounds very ominous, and I really like this rendition. Sort of a sinister Big Band feel to this, especially with the trombone fanfare at the beginning...

Hope this helps give a proper feel for things. More to come later, stay tuned!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:20:35 PM by Jazz Paladin Productions »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
Interesting concept. Looking forward to hearing this! :)

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
Interesting concept. Looking forward to hearing this! :)

Thanks!

Honestly, I am sometimes having a hard time keeping a tight lid on some of these songs...

I just finished up the last of the recording for the project today, and started to work on the "minor" little bits of mixing needed for Revenge. And good lord, I am having such a hard time doing even the simplest things with the piece, just because I end up listening to the song over and over and over again. I can't even make a stupid volume level change without listening to the whole bloody thing again...Aaaaaaagh!

Seriously though, this tune is just blowing me away right now...imagine a balls-to-the-wall brass section hitting you in the face with a wall of sound  that leaves you  with the impending sense that Dracula himself is coming to YOUR town to feast tonight.

"It's my kinda town"

Sigh, I just keep getting floored every time I hear this...Can't wait to unleash the beast, let me tell you...

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
I love jazz and I love Castlevania. So sweet!

You should call this Jazzlevania.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:55:07 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »
You should call this Jazzlevania.

I  thought about that more than a few times, actually. I still might, although I'm also trying to avoid the prospect of Konami considering this a sort of threat to their branding.

Not too sure if you've had a chance to check out the "big band-esque" demo I just posted for Opposing Bloodlines, but that one has also been a lot of fun, I loved being able to get those trumpets in there.

It's pretty much just a matter of mastering these things now and trying to make them sound good on everything from hi-fi systems to lowly cell phone speakers. Not an easy task, let me tell you, very hard to find a good middle ground.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
Castlevania: Boogie of the Night

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 02:36:38 PM »
Castlevania: Boogie of the Night

Hrmmm...You know, I just about exhausted every possible musical variation of "______ of the Night". Shuffle? Waltz? Swing? Bossa? Samba? Blues? Grooves?

I am surprised I didn't think of "Boogie" at all...it does have perhaps the best ring to it...

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Upcoming Castlevnia CD :Jazzyvania : Symphonies of the Knight
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
Good news, the CD itself is pretty much done, just waiting on the cover art and then replication can begin!

In the meantime...

Here is a sampling of all 14 tracks! Enjoy, and let me know whatcha think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6RcrsQKbMc&feature=youtu.be

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Upcoming Castlevnia CD : Symphonies of the Knight (tentative title)
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »
Very nice man!

What a breath of fresh air!

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Looks great!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Sounds very original and nice!

Tags: