Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animation Soundtrack Available  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: July 09, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
https://www.inverse.com/article/33869-netflix-s-castlevania-soundtrack-creepy-as-hell

Oh I see that the soundtrack "IS" available on iTunes (and spotify).  I really shouldn't buy it there after they took down all the other CV Soundtracks I had bought on iTunes, but I can't help myself!  I'll probably end up picking up a CD at a convention sometime years down the road anyways.

What a bloody shame the other soundtracks aren't on iTunes anymore.  After this animation, they might have gotten an uptick of sales.

EDIT:  Oh I'm sure Konami had little to do with this release, so I should probably stop my whining haha.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:07:57 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
The soundtrack's also available on Amazon.  I grabbed a copy off there, if anything, as extra background music for myself. :)
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
I just can't...the soundtrack they made is an insult to the catalog of potential music they could have used.  That's my largest complaint with the show.  The music itself is even kind of stock to me.  Maybe I'm just old and grouchy.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
I just can't...the soundtrack they made is an insult to the catalog of potential music they could have used.  That's my largest complaint with the show.  The music itself is even kind of stock to me.  Maybe I'm just old and grouchy.

No, I'm grouchy as well about it. The music is such a big part of the franchise and to not use *any* of it (not even has sweeping arrangements like some LoS tracks did) is the biggest gripe I have and the biggest snub I think they made. Granted, I'll give the series more viewings and I'll form a better opinion, but it just seems like a damn waste to me. I don't know if Konami either wouldn't sell them the license (but they did Mondo?) or it was too expensive to purchase the music license (but they're Netflix so I doubt it, especially if Mondo could) or the showrunners straight up didn't WANT to feature any of the game music at all (which would be flat out idiotic).....but any excuse they make is, in my mind, a poor one.

If the music Trevor Morris made stood on it's own feet, I might feel a bit differently, but it sounds like generic synth stuff for the most part and none of it is really all too memorable, so as far as I'm concerned that's a fail.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:01:30 PM »
I'd like to rewatch this with voice turned off and just the background music playing sometime haha.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:28:01 PM »

Aight, I'm prolly not as old as you, but I'm still am grouchy about that too.  As others have said, the music is generic and I wished they used tracks from the games.

If the music Trevor Morris made stood on it's own feet, I might feel a bit differently, but it sounds like generic synth stuff for the most part and none of it is really all too memorable, so as far as I'm concerned that's a fail.

I agree; even if they used no game music, at least they could've made the tracks in the same style as the games.  But nah, it's just generic orchestra-synth ambiance stuff.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »
- They prob didn't have the rights to use previous CV music.
- The music wasn't good on its own but it fits the series and its atmosphere.
/thread

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:44:49 AM »
I would have liked to hear a hint of Vampire Killer or even Beginning in the soundtrack, but what we got was fine for a TV series. Still crossing my fingers for some fan service in the music next time.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:29:45 AM »
I would have liked to hear a hint of Vampire Killer or even Beginning in the soundtrack, but what we got was fine for a TV series. Still crossing my fingers for some fan service in the music next time.

Here's hoping for those in the next season.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 06:25:53 AM »
+1
- They prob didn't have the rights to use previous CV music.
- The music wasn't good on its own but it fits the series and its atmosphere.
/thread

- They can buy the rights to the music. As I said, if Mondo can do it to make low-quality vinyl OST releases, Netflix certainly can.

- "The music wasn't good on it's own but it's good enough for this series." Uh....what? That makes no sense. Some parts may have needed to remain for subdued, okay. But the rest of the scenes didn't benefit from having forgettable music, IMO.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
- They can buy the rights to the music. As I said, if Mondo can do it to make low-quality vinyl OST releases, Netflix certainly can.

- "The music wasn't good on it's own but it's good enough for this series." Uh....what? That makes no sense. Some parts may have needed to remain for subdued, okay. But the rest of the scenes didn't benefit from having forgettable music, IMO.

Gotta agree with Sindra here. Getting the rights to use a CV song is not difficult. To not even use as much as one single melody from the 30 year legacy of CV known for its music is negligible and lazy in my opinion.

But all of that aside the music was just too cookie cutter and unoriginal for CV. Sure it's a different format when it's for an animated series. But a skilled composer should be able to do that and pay homage to the legacy of CV at the same time.

This was no time for auto-pilot compositions. And that's what the whole show sounded like to me.

I can't remember one goddamn melody from the show. That's a big problem when the title is Castlevania. They need a new composer for season 2.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:52:27 AM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »
Gotta agree with Sindra here. Getting the rights to use a CV song is not difficult. To not even use as much as one single melody from the 30 year legacy of CV known for its music Is negligible and lazy in my opinion.
It's not difficult, indeed. They just didn't bother because they didn't care (and prob didn't wanted to spend some $$$ for 3 secs of Vampire Killer or Bloody Tears -- if they knew about those tunes). Another thing: new fans won't give a damn about the music and they don't know the original tunes.

What the show would need are better themes for season 2. Not tracks from the games, just good/memorable themes.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:26 AM »
It's not difficult, indeed. They just didn't bother because they didn't care (and prob didn't wanted to spend some $$$ for 3 secs of Vampire Killer or Bloody Tears -- if they knew about those tunes). Another thing: new fans won't give a damn about the music and they don't know the original tunes.

What the show would need are better themes for season 2. Not tracks from the games, just good/memorable themes.

They know about the tunes. Ellis was praising the series music and saying how integral it is to the franchise when he was talking about Trevor Morris composing. Not to mention they have all of the other game references in the first season; they know the music is important. But yeah, either they didn't want to shell out for music rights or they thought "Nah, let's use this dude, he'll be good enough for what we're looking for."

Now maybe they were waiting to see how people would react first, and maybe they'll have a better budget for season 2. All I'm saying is you shouldn't gush about the game series' music and talk it up, then not use any of it or hold your composer to try and craft a few tunes that are similar in memorable melody. That's my take on it anyway, and I knew going into this that the music would be a big sticking point for me so take my gripes with a grain of salt.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:21:17 AM »
Definitely the weakest part of the show relative to the games.  We'll see if the second season is better.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »
Hopefully, they'll be prepared to invest a bit more into getting the soundtrack more up to scratch during the second season, along with the other sound/animation issues, seeing as the series has in general been pretty well received.  I agree with Chernabogue, it's not necessary to shove in one of the iconic songs, but it just needs to up its game a bit more.  I was expecting somethign a bit more hard rock based on what Shankar said a while back.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags:

anything