Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Save your criticism  (Read 73321 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
+2
By now, there have been enough games developed, that any one idea is usually derived from, inspired by, or outright taken from, another idea.  By this logic everything is related or, in a worst outlook, 'ripped off' of something else.  It is true no matter what genre of gaming you look to.  The truly 'new' ideas are brought up by new ways of play (Wii Controls, Kinect, touch screen, tablet gaming, dance pads), creating new sparks of ideas.
I think his criticism comes more from the fact that it seems like anything pre-LoS taking inspiration or copying ideas tends to be given a pass, while LoS gets the "GoW clone" slander thrown around all the time.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:35:25 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »
+1
Thank you Flame. That is exactly where my criticism is coming from.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2013, 08:35:27 PM »
+7
To you guys thinking IGA got a pass in the past when ripoffs would happen, I invite you to seek wisdom in the Castlevania Dungeon archives...

...because I disagree with that sentiment

And this is before the Forum SMF shift.  Back in Forumplanet days, there would be an IGA hate thread every three days.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
+2
I think his criticism comes more from the fact that it seems like anything pre-LoS taking inspiration or copying ideas tends to be given a pass, while LoS gets the "GoW clone" slander thrown around all the time.

But Castlevania has unofficially been labelled as "just another metroidvania" by the fans for years, and LoS fans get defensive when some people call it "God of Vania" or whatever? None of the metroidvanias (or how some people like to call them, "igavanias") have been immune to criticism, they've been picked apart from every detail not on just this forum but across the internet. Lords of Shadow is no different, and neither will LoS2 once it's released. Sure, Cox gets a lot of shit from the fans, but it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of hatred people had & STILL have for IGA, just for better or worse keeping Castlevania afloat for the past decade, otherwise it might've sank into obscurity long ago with other Konami franchises like Goemon & Suikoden.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2013, 08:46:45 PM »
+2
So basically what you guys are telling me is that this forum turns into a roast of whoever the current developer of the series happens to be every time the ball gets passed on?

That is depressing.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
+1
Not really.  That's the Internet for you.
At least it's not GameFAQs.

Can someone please run a search for the Forumplanet IGA-Hate threads from the Wayback Machine or the Web Archive or something?  We're talking 50-page threads describing the failure of CV Developers, ESPECIALLY IGA!

Crisis said it rather well.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2013, 08:54:37 PM »
Sometimes, but it's not as bad as it used to be years ago. most of the time it stems from the fact of how the final product was produced, and how it could've been done better, which led to the producer (in those days, IGA) being constantly flamed. I distinctly remember when PoR was announced; some people were excited, a lot weren't, and one condescending quote that sticks out in my head is "Well, here we go again." It's no different than people hating on movie directors for creating lame movies (Michael Bay gets a lot of shit for his Transformers movies all the time). It's only recently that after a 5 year hiatus people are willing to accept another "metroidvania," mainly due to the dissatisfaction Mirror of Fate brought most of us (and the fact that many believe OoE was a step in the right direction where the metroidvania formula was concerned. I agree with that statement, but of course it's debatable).

We've all been guilty of that sort of thing, and I'm sure you've done it yourself Montoya, since it's obvious you're not the biggest fan of IGA and what he's done with the series, thus you're going to be and have been vocal about it, as has many other members here. It's natural, and this is what fan forums are for, to express your feelings on the current situation on your favorite series. It's not just on this forum, or gaming forums, but every type of forum of entertainment.

It's not depressing, it's the internet.

edit: and Jorge beats me to the punch yet again
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:07:34 PM by crisis »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »
Although you cannot click on the thread, scroll down on this page .  There's a "IGA Over-rated?  It cannot be!?" from 2005.

This thread has "Disappointing moments in Castlevania.  Check out how on Pg1, someone responds "Curse of Darkness" as an entire disappointment.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
+3
Just for the record I want to say, as I already have said many times, I am a fan of IGA.

I've said that many times on here now. SOTN, LOI and DOS, or all in my top favorite CV games. I think all of these games were masterpieces. I've been saying this for a while. However, there were a lot of things he did that were not my cup of tea.

I've also said many times that LOS is not a perfect game. I did not care for MOF at all, and I've said that too. But LOS is also in my top favorites.

So I just want to clear the air here and let people know that I am a fan of both developers and I actually like their good games equally. The only reason things may seem weighted in my comments is because IGA has produced 10 times the amount of work MS has. And while IGA produced many games that I cherish, he also happened to release a lot of other CV games that I didn't care for.

I just want to say that to explain myself.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »
Rep rant:
(click to show/hide)

I apologize. Jorge.

Yeah, IGA has had it's high and lows, like everything, but now he's used as a weapon against LoS. That's not cool, especially when, well, pretty much everyone agreed at that point that he was getting stagnate.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:39:25 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »
Seriously dude?  Making posts about how people are downvoting you?
C'mon, man.

Let's get back to contributing to the thread at hand, or move on to another thread. :D
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »
+4
I would think that someone who maliciously singled out a user and went through backlogged posts from years ago in order to down vote them would get some sort of warning from the administrator.

That's seems like a pretty uncool, unnecessary and aggressive thing for someone to do, but that's just my opinion. 

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »
It wasn't just here, but the IGA hate was (and still is in most parts) apparent on nearly every forum. I remember when every Castlevania game after DoS was announced there were alot of replies like:

"Ugh another Metroidvania?"
"God IGA still riding the coat tails of SOTN?, the guys a hack."
"Yay more uninspired and repetitive level designs, level grinding, reused sprites from 1993 and a filler storyline that has nothing to do with Belmonts, Where's our Julius Belmont game Konami?"

And one of my favorite replies I remember reading for irony sake:

"Konami should take Castlevania away from IGA and give it to the God of War team. Enough of this Metroidvania bullshit."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
And one of my favorite replies I remember reading for irony sake:

"Konami should take Castlevania away from IGA and give it to the God of War team. Enough of this Metroidvania bullshit."
Oh god.
I'm having a blast from the past reading old topics, and the Lords of Shadow (announcement) topic, is golden

Could this be the next new Castlevania or just a new project that is probably going to be very much like a GOW clone?
This has ALL SORTS of CV feel to it, though it's a unique title. It's like Namco releasing a game about a yellow rotund character who is chased by ghosts and eats pellets, but saying it has nothing to do with the Pac series. It's very conflicting, especially cause we see the character kneeling before the cross, and his blazing whip is SOOOO Belmont-ish. The giant could be just yet another Ogre type(didn't care for them making ogres like one-eyed). Or, yeah, it could be like Balore. But yeah, strong CV feel from a Konami game that's NOT CV! Strange. The dude even LOOKED like he could've fit in as a Belmont just with his facial features!! :o
Also it's too manly and FUCK YEAH looking to be a modern CV.
I don't know why it's not called Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but it's got to be a CV game. The imagery has Iga written all over it and why would Konami make a whip-weilding, cross-bearing, monster-slaying game that is not a CV game???
this is a test game to prepare for the next 3-D Castlevania.

either that or the title is a placeholder for an actual CV game.
Like I said it's possibly an experiment at bringing Castlevania onto the new systems.

Maybe IGA's not heading this, but Konami could have outsourced to a different team to see what happens with their idea for such a project.

(I doubt Konami is happy with IGA's repertoire with 3D)
God, now a CANDLE on the main page with some BAT silouhettes?

This is starting to reek of CV reference.

But I must not get ahead of myself...

Oh Antraxxx, if only you were here to see yout prophecies being fullfilled.

Take a laugh or two! http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,1448.0.html

Aaaaand Reinhardt has the honor of being the first person to guess the twist

why do i get the feeling that this is yet another alternate origins game and that Gabriel becomes Dracula?  (gosh i hope not)

You get a cookie!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:41:25 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23:35 PM »
I am so happy that my opinion has pretty much remained the same.

I may not enjoy the music from LoS (and am rather bored with MoF), but I actually played them more than LoI and CoD, which I still don't like (even if their music is better IMO).

I wonder if I can summon A N T R A X X back.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: