Poll

Which 2D Metroid is the best of them all?

Metroid
2 (9.1%)
Metroid 2: Return of Samus
0 (0%)
Super Metroid
15 (68.2%)
Metroid: Fusion
3 (13.6%)
Metroid: Zero Mission
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which is the best 2D metroid  (Read 13985 times)

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Which is the best 2D metroid
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:10 AM »
The 2D metroid games were the greatest! They had loads of exploration most games didn't have back in the NES games. Metroid has so much of an impact that many series(*cough*castlevania*cough*) used it's way of exploration and either somewhat improved on it or just failed epically(*cough*not castlevania*cough). But the question is this: Which 2D 'troid is the best? In my personal opinion, I would say the original Metroid but Metroid: Fusion would be my second best :)
Like giant robots? Join up if your interested:
http://www.amecha.co.uk/forum/index.php
My username on it is Gelboob794

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Which is the best 2D metroid
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »
I didn't like the original metroid, nor did I really enjoy any of the primes for that matter.

I did however love super metroid, it had the right atmospehere that made you feel you were alone on a hostile alien planet.
Fusion was an ok game, i enjoyed it but not as much as super, maybe because the computer was always telling you where to go next and took away the sense of exploration and learning when to use new abilities, it might have been tough but it pretty much held your hand when it came to it.

I've not really played ZM too much but it seems like a good runner up to me.
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
Honestly for me it's a toss-up between Zero Mission and Super Metroid. Super Metroid I'd watch my mom play for hours every day (she could beat the game with 100% in 2 hours, 15 minutes, no glitching or anything like that. I think her record time was 1:55)

But I never could get into the Original Metroid, and Zero Mission was my way of playing and enjoying it.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »

I voted Super Metroid cause it's probably the best game ever made in my opinion. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn close. It definitely could've been longer though.

Where the hell did 2D Metroid go anyway? The DS is ideal for a new 2D Metroid. Though I'm afraid Castlevania has actually ruined the 2D exploration formula a bit... But I still think it's time for a new old-school entry in the Metroid franchise. I want it soooo bad it's not even funny.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »
Super Metroid for sure. It's one of my top favorite games.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »
I voted Super Metroid cause it's probably the best game ever made in my opinion. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn close. It definitely could've been longer though.

Where the hell did 2D Metroid go anyway? The DS is ideal for a new 2D Metroid. Though I'm afraid Castlevania has actually ruined the 2D exploration formula a bit... But I still think it's time for a new old-school entry in the Metroid franchise. I want it soooo bad it's not even funny.

Castlevania didn't ruin it, the games just need to be longer(Ecclesia you good but short game you), and yeah they announced "Metroid:Dread" for the DS but there has been zero info on it other than the teaser found in a certin scan in metroid prime 3. Metroid Prime is awesome for bringing the classic Metroid formula into 3D but the 2D ones are just overall better and a new one needs to be made!

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 03:42:47 PM »
In Reply To #6

Actually Retro and Nintendo both have come out and said that the "Dread" scan in MP3 was in no way, shape or form related to Metroid: Dread or hinting at it.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
Super Metroid. Easily.
Original Metroid, as most everyone has said here, is really hard to get into.
Metroid 2, while I never had the oppurtunity to play as much, was nothin remarkable, imo.
Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero were both pretty fun, and together, they are my second place ties.
Nothing, however, compares to Super Metroid. Quite frankly, this is one of the first games that really gave me the open world feeling. The game was the first I played that really told a story with a very minimalistic approach. With the exception of the introduction, very little words were used, but so much emotion could be stirred up with through it's nonverbal story telling. The sacrifice at the end of the game is a solid testament to that claim.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »
Own Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, desperately needing Metroid (yeah my eyes on it popping up at a gaming store that sells NES stuff here), I voted Super Metroid, though the original is just as good to me. I always felt more lost with Metroid 2, it's creepy atmosphere though helps it out quite a bit.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 11:24:57 PM »
I'd say the original Metroid. Granted, I grew up with it, but it has this super weird atmosphere that Super Metroid just doesn't match IMO. The music, the enemies, even the blocks you walk on, it all just has this really STRANGE and very creepy vibe to it. As good as the rest of them are, and as many improvements have been made on the formula, I think the original does it the best.

Retro2DGamer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
Gotta go with Fusion. It successfully combines the fantastic gameplay of Super Metroid with the creepy atmosphere of Metroid 2 in an entirely original game.

SotN may owe a debt to Metroid, but Metroid also owes a debt to the Alien franchise IMO.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:38 AM »
OK!! I was between Metroid 2 and Super Metroid. I voted for Super Metroid, because it was having the most atmospheric enviroment and feeling. Landing alone on a unfriendly planet, trying to destroy it. The graphics for it's age and the sound track, are simply awesome, making it one of the best games for the Snes era.

Metoid 2, even if it was for GB, still it was great and i believe that if it was released for another console it could prove it's awesomeness. I would really love if Nintendo was going to make a remake for Metroid 2 for DS or even Wii!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 03:30:24 AM »
While I loooooove Super Metroid, I have to concede to Metroid: Zero Mission because of the improved control scheme.  The GBA's lack of buttons forced Nintendo to implement some fresh changes to the control scheme.  While the scheme is very resemblant of the Fusion game that came before it, the improved sense of speed and fluidity, in addition to the environments of Zebes (as opposed the BSL Station), make it a winning combination.

Super Metroid had this weird "Press Select" thing with the five alternate fire mechanisms (Missile, Super Missile, PowerBomb, Grappling Beam, and X-Ray Scope).  While I loved it at the time, now that I return to play it, I think it could've been further improved by implementing ZeroMission's controls setup.

**votes for Zero Mission**

Mind you, this is a very close decision.  It's really Super VS. MZM.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:03:40 AM »

Castlevania didn't ruin it

Well not exactly, but Castlevania has exhausted the original Metroid formula. I'm not sure if a new 2D Metroid would be able to introduce enough new stuff... I guess time will tell.

Anyway, I really want Zero Mission. I've never played it and it looks absolutely superb in every possible way. Gonna go hunt for it straight away!

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:17:25 AM »
Well not exactly, but Castlevania has exhausted the original Metroid formula. I'm not sure if a new 2D Metroid would be able to introduce enough new stuff... I guess time will tell.

Anyway, I really want Zero Mission. I've never played it and it looks absolutely superb in every possible way. Gonna go hunt for it straight away!
Yeah, it did kind of exhaust it i guess. Also, Zero Mission is a great game in it's own right but don't be suprised if you beat it in 4 hours....

Tags: