Poll

Which 2D Metroid is the best of them all?

Metroid
2 (9.1%)
Metroid 2: Return of Samus
0 (0%)
Super Metroid
15 (68.2%)
Metroid: Fusion
3 (13.6%)
Metroid: Zero Mission
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which is the best 2D metroid  (Read 14079 times)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »
Absolutely Super Metroid, no question at all.  Though the original Metroid gets the credit for the gameplay format, which was completely unheard of at the time, Super perfected it.  The atmosphere of Super is just unmatched.  I really need to play through Metroid II again, but it's probably my least favorite since it's mostly linear.  Fusion could've been fantastic if it wasn't for the hand-holding the whole way through.  And Zero Mission was a great mix of remake+update, but the map completely destroyed the feeling of being lost/abandoned/buried from the first game.  One of the best parts of the original Metroid was mapping out the game yourself.

Offline Rodriguezjr

• Local Vampire Hunter
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Rodriguezjr's Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »
I really enjoy the atmosphere of Metroid Fusion the best. It has great music and keeps you in suspense most of the time. I also like the orignal Metroid.

True Sorrow

Re: Which is the best 2D metroid
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »
Super Metroid, hands down. It perfected the formula the original introduced, and didn't add any pointless additions, like Fusion's computer-that-holds-your-hand or Zero Mission's Chozo Statues-that-tell-you-where-to-go, as well the constant travel between Norfair/Tourian (can't remember which) and the rest of the area. Those two games were too linear and didn't give the same freedom that Super Metroid gave.

It also had better bosses and general level design. The music also beats them by a long shot (even though Kraid's lair in Zero Mission is extremely good), especially with all the SCVIV-esque atmospheric tunes, like the wooded part of Brinstar.

So yeah, basically, Super Metroid took everything Metroid was and made it better. It didn't attach any shiny bells that detracted from the major experience, just made it higher quality.

Also, hi :)

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
Super Metroid, hands down. It perfected the formula the original introduced, and didn't add any pointless additions, like Fusion's computer-that-holds-your-hand or Zero Mission's Chozo Statues-that-tell-you-where-to-go, as well the constant travel between Norfair/Tourian (can't remember which) and the rest of the area. Those two games were too linear and didn't give the same freedom that Super Metroid gave.

It also had better bosses and general level design. The music also beats them by a long shot (even though Kraid's lair in Zero Mission is extremely good), especially with all the SCVIV-esque atmospheric tunes, like the wooded part of Brinstar.

So yeah, basically, Super Metroid took everything Metroid was and made it better. It didn't attach any shiny bells that detracted from the major experience, just made it higher quality.

Also, hi :)

Zero Mission's music was awesome and great remix's of the first one, I think it matches Super. Also welcome, hate to go off topic but tells me what happened to the chapel?
Like giant robots? Join up if your interested:
http://www.amecha.co.uk/forum/index.php
My username on it is Gelboob794

True Sorrow

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »
what happened to the chapel?

Server went apeshit and ditched every site it hosted : | The Chapel went along with it, and won't be up for a while.

And to stay on topic, yeah, Zero Mission had some great music, but in most cases it lost the feel of the original. And even so, I can't say it matches Super Metroid. That game's music is just amazing.

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 10:10:14 PM »
Super metroid. This shouldn't even be debatable.
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 11:42:38 PM »
This is hands-down Super Metroid. Metroids one and two are far too primitive to compete, and Fusion is too linear.

Umm I'll admit I haven't finished Zero Mission tho, and have heard very good things about it.

That said, just look at that list. There simply need to be MORE 2D Metroids :(

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Giz

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 11:51:23 PM »
There was going to be (if you didn't already know), but unfortunately it got cancelled.

Metroid:Dread was going to be a 2D sequel to Metroid: Fusion for the Nintendo DS, but it got canned a few years back.

A shame, really. They could've done some great things with that game. /:
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 12:01:19 AM »
Yeah I heard about it.  Didn't know it was officially canned tho.

There's really no excuse for this :(

MOAR 2D Metroid PLZ

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Giz

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 12:15:33 AM »
That was what I heard, anyway, though I can't seem to find the source at the moment. Either way its unfortunately unlikely we'd see it come to fruition anyway. /:

I guess for now the Super Metroid Redesign rom hack will have to suffice.
-----------

LBPHeretic

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »
I vote Super Metroid, hands down. The countless hours my sister and I played that game and never got sick of it factors highly into that vote. I will say that I also loved the original Metroid. That was another game that I played for hours and ultimately beat by sketching my own maps. It could be frustrating at times, however, so that's why it didn't get my vote. I have Metroid II: Return of Samus, but I never got into it as much as the other 2D Metroids. It's a nice entry into the series, but I would say it's also the weakest. A remake of it would be superb. :)

Both Metroid: Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission I also enjoyed immensely. However, still not to the same degree as Super Metroid. I really wish Metroid: Dread would see the light of day. But then again, I've been wishing for that for years. :'(

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »

I wonder why Dread was cancelled? Nintendo surely knows how succesfull the formula is, with the DS Castlevanias selling like krazy! (Or at least reasonably well)

I want one ENORMOUS desolate world where you have absolutely no idea where you're supposed to go, and what to do when you get there - if you ever get there. I want dark eerie caverns and abandoned laboratories with test tubes containing.. dunno.. space fetuses. I want hidden items behind suspicious walls. I want strange creatures in strange places. I want disgusting, heartstopping boss monsters that take forever to kill.

Also, I want it now  >:(

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
First off, Metroid was never terribly popular in Japan so thats why nintendo dont really care so much.

Secondly... a Fallout 3 style metroid sounds good I like it.
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
I wonder why Dread was cancelled? Nintendo surely knows how succesfull the formula is, with the DS Castlevanias selling like krazy! (Or at least reasonably well)

I want one ENORMOUS desolate world where you have absolutely no idea where you're supposed to go, and what to do when you get there - if you ever get there. I want dark eerie caverns and abandoned laboratories with test tubes containing.. dunno.. space fetuses. I want hidden items behind suspicious walls. I want strange creatures in strange places. I want disgusting, heartstopping boss monsters that take forever to kill.

Also, I want it now
Like giant robots? Join up if your interested:
http://www.amecha.co.uk/forum/index.php
My username on it is Gelboob794

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
Unlike the Zelda series poll on this forum, this question is a no-brainer. SUPER METROID!

Metroid set a good foundation. Metroid II established the trend of new upgrades and challenges. These two built into Super Metroid, which took everything that worked from 1 and 2, and added even more. No Metroidvania has come close, even Symphony of the Night. The only Metroid to come close, 2D or 3D, is the first Prime entry. For me Super Metroid is easily among the best games ever made.

The other 2D entries: Fusion had a good story setup, but was far too linear and didn't really add much. Zero Mission was like a light remake of Super Metroid using the shell of the original Metroid. It was a lot of fun--more so than Fusion-- but too easy and it ultimately felt too much like a retread (though, it was an enhanced remake of the original NES Metroid game, so that's to be expected). The new comic book-esque art-style was attractive, but it also lightened the overall atmosphere a bit. I liked the ledge grab ability added to Fusion and Zero Mission, but the pace of Zero Mission's character was way too fast. The Zero Suit segment was OK, but not necessary in the larger scheme of things and leans more toward fan-service.

I had hoped 'Metroid Dread' would be made, but who knows. I'd like a new 2D one for DS that really pushes the formula beyond Super Metroid and continues the story after Fusion. And, PLEASE, no lazy top screen = map screen junk. That's such a waste.

But, in some ways, I'd like an epic 3RD PERSON Metroid game even more. I still have hard feelings over the limitations of having 3D Metroid be first-person (outside of the Morph Ball).

Regarding the Metroidvanias...I think they've been lazy and lackluster for quite some time. Metroid could still show'em a thing or two. But who knows if it'll happen since Nintendo has decided in recent years that Samus is their [unneeded] answer to Halo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:54:05 PM by RichterB »

Tags:

anything