Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is Iga washed up?  (Read 65126 times)

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
I would think that payment is an issue. I mean, would you REALLY draw more sprites when you arne't paid to? If you do, then you're encouraging them to not pay you to do other work, then you end up being the one who did loads of work for no payment.

Ask yourself this question then but first pretend you are a game designer or whatever.

Would you get paid more for making fully redesigned 3D models program them then implement them into a game thats on a next gen system (or current gen whatever) or would you get paid more for drawing some new sprites to the quality of the DS castlevanias?

And yes that was a rhetorical question cause we both already know the answer.

I think the answer is very clear here. They had the resources to create a new 3D fighting game with brand new 3D models, that mind you interacted in their own way without copying any of each others move sets. Even Simon and Trevor played very different for being very similar characters. So therefore they had the resources, time, money, and everything they needed to implement characters from other Castlevania games that IGA had nothing to do with. But thats not the point, the point is this. IGAs team has shown they have some potential to do some pretty cool things yet they miss the mark thus disappointing many of their own fans. Much like how many musicians or actors that are consider washed up do. They show that old familiar spark but they still miss the mark for whatever reason. Hes already got up on stage and asked fans to support this game which personally i really felt sorry for him for doing. Personally my own personal agenda against IGA is this, I just want the guy to do something great because obviously he has the potential to do so, yet he misses the mark and every game he has come out with here lately has been wasted potential. Take Curse of Darkness he had an opportunity to bring back soem old faces and throw in some really cool shit. We've discussed this many times of how people wouldve liked to seen Sypha pregnant or tugging a long a little Belmont with a make shift whip, or as you entered Cordova town to help assist Grant in fending off the monsters as he was trying to help rebuild Transylvania, or as you entered one of the towers you stumble across Alucard's resting place much like how Zack stumbled across Vincent in Crisis Core. He could've done us all a favor and created another 3D castlevania game where you play as Dracula going up against Mathias and thus retconning that whole Mathias is Dracula non-sense.

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »
Also to continue on the whole money issue I would buy that if they were creating something to the degree of Blaze Blue or KOF 12 with redrawn HD sprites but since HD uses currently existing sprite sheets it wouldnt take them that long to add or redraw or re edit the sprites of Sypha, Grant, Trevor, or Simon for that matter. It would be a lot cheaper to do that then say make a 3D fighting game in the  style of power stone. I mean we got one poster on here that made a kickass Gabriel sprite and if he can do without being paid just think what the people that actually get paid can do. And take into consideration that just about every year the past few years we've had HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR, and EoO not to mention they managed in that to place Alucard as a playable character in DoS and Simon's original sprite in HoD (Even though it was only boss rush mode) and Also create a sprite sheet for Yoko. They have the money to do these things and yes they get paid for it because it doesnt take that much time. Sorry but Im not seeing your logic when it comes to "would you REALLY draw more sprites when you arne't paid to" because obviously they are getting paid if not IGA since hes been reusing sprites and re editing sprites and adding to currently existing sprites wouldnt be working at Konami anymore if he wasnt getting paid.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
He could've done us all a favor and created another 3D castlevania game where you play as Dracula going up against Mathias and thus retconning that whole Mathias is Dracula non-sense.

If I was working at Konami's CV department, THAT would be the first CV game I'd do! Good call there Lumas!

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »
Who cares if Dracula is Mathias instead of Vlad Tepes? What exactly makes him a better character?  Just curious about that, don't feel attacked.  :-X         

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2010, 12:34:22 PM »
+1
Also to continue on the whole money issue I would buy that if they were creating something to the degree of Blaze Blue or KOF 12 with redrawn HD sprites but since HD uses currently existing sprite sheets it wouldnt take them that long to add or redraw or re edit the sprites of Sypha, Grant, Trevor, or Simon for that matter.
That's exactly that I wanted to see in Castlevania HD.
Another team made a facelift for the sprites in Encore of the Night afterall.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »
The sprites in Encore of the Night were so muddled and horrible. I rather play the safe route with smaller sprites. I don't even think the current sprite artists under IGA are all that great besides like maybe one.

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »
Who cares if Dracula is Mathias instead of Vlad Tepes? What exactly makes him a better character?  Just curious about that, don't feel attacked.  :-X         

Well thats a matter of opinion to be honest but Ill take a stab it anyway. Most people were captured by Castlevania because you had to go up against the master of all vampires (or what most people would believe) Count Dracula. But now Dracula is not Dracula he is some dude named Mathias who so happened to be reading one day (lucky for him it was literate) and came across some misinterpretation of a name that so happened to sound evil. He was pissed cause his wife died which was so original for IGA being that there was this little movie that came back out in the early 90s called Bram Stokers Dracula which had the same plot line and even the wives shared the same names. Now if you have actually read the novel which that movie was based from you would know that it doesnt even mention the name of Elisabetha nor is there any love connection between Dracula or Mina. In fact it really doesnt go into Dracula's past at all. Hes just some evil guy who likes to feed off the blood of the innocent which is more brutal and a lot more interesting. Also Lament contradicts the back story of Alucard and Dracula being that the years dont match up to their ages that were given to them in Symphony of the Night to the events of Lament of Innocence. It would also mean that Alucard's real last name would be Cronqvist not Tepes being that according to an interview with IGA he just took the name Dracula. It was an unnecessary plot twist that just made the timeline even more screwy then what it is. But what makes Dracula more interesting than Mathias is that he really didnt need a reason to be evil he just was, not even in Dracula's Curse there is no mention of Lisa or anything just that Alucard wants to stop his father's evil ways because he was so evil. There didn't really need to be a reason to why he is the way he is, hes just suppose to be evil.

So basically what Im saying is, its like pepsi in a coke can. Its just wrong and doesnt taste very good or for all you pepsi fans its like coke in a pepsi can or whatever you get the metaphor right? I dont want Mathias pretending to be Dracula,  I just want good ol Dracula but like I said its all a matter of opinion.

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
He could've done us all a favor and created another 3D castlevania game where you play as Dracula going up against Mathias and thus retconning that whole Mathias is Dracula non-sense.

If I was working at Konami's CV department, THAT would be the first CV game I'd do! Good call there Lumas!

-X

Thank you Mr. X

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2010, 03:02:41 AM »
Well thats a matter of opinion to be honest but Ill take a stab it anyway. Most people were captured by Castlevania because you had to go up against the master of all vampires (or what most people would believe) Count Dracula. But now Dracula is not Dracula he is some dude named Mathias who so happened to be reading one day (lucky for him it was literate) and came across some misinterpretation of a name that so happened to sound evil. He was pissed cause his wife died which was so original for IGA being that there was this little movie that came back out in the early 90s called Bram Stokers Dracula which had the same plot line and even the wives shared the same names. Now if you have actually read the novel which that movie was based from you would know that it doesnt even mention the name of Elisabetha nor is there any love connection between Dracula or Mina. In fact it really doesnt go into Dracula's past at all. Hes just some evil guy who likes to feed off the blood of the innocent which is more brutal and a lot more interesting. Also Lament contradicts the back story of Alucard and Dracula being that the years dont match up to their ages that were given to them in Symphony of the Night to the events of Lament of Innocence. It would also mean that Alucard's real last name would be Cronqvist not Tepes being that according to an interview with IGA he just took the name Dracula. It was an unnecessary plot twist that just made the timeline even more screwy then what it is. But what makes Dracula more interesting than Mathias is that he really didnt need a reason to be evil he just was, not even in Dracula's Curse there is no mention of Lisa or anything just that Alucard wants to stop his father's evil ways because he was so evil. There didn't really need to be a reason to why he is the way he is, hes just suppose to be evil.

So basically what Im saying is, its like pepsi in a coke can. Its just wrong and doesnt taste very good or for all you pepsi fans its like coke in a pepsi can or whatever you get the metaphor right? I dont want Mathias pretending to be Dracula,  I just want good ol Dracula but like I said its all a matter of opinion.
I don't know, I like Mathias. Also, I don't see it like the coke/pepsi metaphor. To me, it's more like your perception of your father as a child, perhaps built around admiration, then as an adult, getting to know him differntly, at a man-to-man level, and realizing that he's not the superman you thought he was as a child, but is a regular man.

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
My metaphor was way better.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »

Everything comes full circle

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »
Dunno. He's not wearing his Fadorra or sporting his *short* leather whip.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »
I do spriting 3/4 of my time and I'm not even being paid. IGA (and team) are lazy!

-X

Theres a difference between a hobby and a job. Like say.... make me sonia sprites... hmm... lets go with 20 frames for each action. No? well that's too bad. Sides, who knows how many spriters they have anymore given the number of reuse.

EDIT: and make those sprites HD, roughly 124 x 50 pixels.

Iga is anything but washed up.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/12/castlevania-harmony-of-despair-whips-up-a-first-place-finish-on/

I am amazed.

LOL, read teh comments, good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:49:51 AM by Kale »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »
It scored high because the competition sadly isn't even as good as HD. MvC2 doesn't count since it's like months old.

Tags: