Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest fan-remake - More than EPIC  (Read 45463 times)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Simon's Quest fan-remake - More than EPIC
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
1) Glad this was resurrected as I am REALLY wanting this

2) Is this an actual ROM hack? Can I play this on a NES emu?

3) I REALLY want to play this, gimmie!!
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
1) Glad this was resurrected as I am REALLY wanting this

2) Is this an actual ROM hack? Can I play this on a NES emu?

3) I REALLY want to play this, gimmie!!

Yep. It's a romhack of Simon's Quest that, as far as I know, seeks to make it into a sort of different game. Well, it's still Simon's Quest at its heart, but with prettier graphics, more items like high jump boots and keys for doors, hopefully way less obscure/false clues, more bosses, waaaay more music (original and remixed), etc.

Sadly, it hasn't seen any updates for a long time. Don't know what's up with it right now. But here's one of Optomon's amazing original tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Optomon#p/u/3/_W1lUDEJceM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:51:55 PM by Munchy »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
well bumping a thread that has a project that hasn't seen any updates in months (to my knowledge) and is in the wrong section in the first place is pretty retarded, too. but i digress..

maybe someone should contact optomon & see what's going on?

We've had an influx of new users recently, and I see no reason to not let them comment on a project they may not have ever heard about before. Even that aside, if someone wants to ask about it, just let them. If the thread is truly doomed to obscurity it'll drop on it's own. Let things take their natural course. Threads rise and fall with popular demand, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Long live a good thread.

Also, it being in the wrong place is a problem for the staff. Which by the way you don't seem a part of, so I don't see the reason for all the mini-modding.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:11:37 PM by uzo »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »
I'm curious why this hasn't been moved to the fan section.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2011, 12:02:12 AM »
I'm curious why this hasn't been moved to the fan section.

Because the game looks sooooo damn good, nobody's complaining.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »
I think because, originally, the thread didn't belong to the game designer.
Sort of a "Hey guys check out what this dude is doing" with video.
But I'll rectify that decision now. :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline OdenAndEvil

• Belmont
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2011, 06:53:48 AM »
Ok.
Nice graphic, nice sound, and i would play it
BUT DONT CALL IT A REMAKE...sigh
u guys know what a remake is?
remake = take a old game, make better graphics, make the sound better, build in some new featues
Fail = never change the soundtrack? wth is this, calling that a remake and not even the soundtrack is the same -.-
Fail = same enemys
Wouldnt that intro say "castlevania II simons quest" i would never think of that...
it looks like an inoficial castlevania 4 on nes...

Dont get me wrong, its for sure a nice game and it looks like it will kick ass. i wanna play it for sure.
But its not a remake -.-
You always will go back to old good classic games.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OdenAndEvil <--- Gamerslounge (reviews, sound remake's and much more of good old classic retro games ^^)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2011, 07:00:44 AM »
+1
Uh... no... who said it has to be better or have new things to be a remake? a remake is just something that's been remade. >.>

Offline OdenAndEvil

• Belmont
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2011, 07:14:01 AM »
You trying to tell me that it is ok if u call a new game a remake even if it has nothing to do with that game?
besides that, what is the sense in a remake, if u dont make better sounds and new features and make it look better?

I dont think many ppl are happy, if like square saying, there is gonna be a FF7 remake and it still a other game and they just titled it with FF 7 remake...
Same with other games...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:17:17 AM by OdenAndEvil »
You always will go back to old good classic games.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OdenAndEvil <--- Gamerslounge (reviews, sound remake's and much more of good old classic retro games ^^)

Offline Gemini

• Maria's Pimp
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Falling!!
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »
You trying to tell me that it is ok if u call a new game a remake even if it has nothing to do with that game?
besides that, what is the sense in a remake, if u dont make better sounds and new features and make it look better?

I dont think many ppl are happy, if like square saying, there is gonna be a FF7 remake and it still a other game and they just titled it with FF 7 remake...
Same with other games...

Never said it has nothing to do with the game. It just doesn't have to be better. What's the sense in doing that? Who knows? It's still remade.

And are you seriously going to quote wiki for something that is far from a definite meaning?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
It's all relative, I think.

Super Mario All-Stars is essentially a re-color of the old games.  While it does add a save menu, the games are (more or less) intact.  So it's a remake (and a compilation), and it's also great.
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX is a re-color of the old Gameboy Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.  It adds a handful of new aspects but it's basically the same.  So it's a remake.
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth is a completely new reimagining of the Castlevania Adventure Gameboy game.  It's completely different in stages, colors, and game mechanics.  It is still a remake, though.

So it seems that the term 'remake' is relative.  It can be something as simple as "This was a NES game.  Let's make it have SNES graphics with a richer color palette" and that's already good enough.  You can, also, crank it up to 11 and make an entirely new game that's loosely based on the original, and it would still qualify as a remake.

You can also do a retro-remake.  MegaMan 7 and MegaMan 8 in 8-Bit, for the PC, are NES-like "Remakes" of SNES and PSX titles.  They're still remakes, though.  It works both ways.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gemini

• Maria's Pimp
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Falling!!
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
And are you seriously going to quote wiki for something that is far from a definite meaning?
Well, there's basically not that much range of meaning for "video game remakes", and that range doesn't include this case. I would call it enhancement (hack), if anything. But seriously, remakes have nothing to do with this project.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:53:01 AM by Gemini »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
The only reason I disagree with it being called a straight remake is because it is a ROM hack, but that's just my personal preference.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2011, 06:28:19 AM »
You people are so picky with your terminology. >3>
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: