Absolutely!  Sepcial Edition Please.
10 (22.7%)
Yes, indeed I will.
18 (40.9%)
I have serious doubts...
10 (22.7%)
Absolutely NOT!  Castlevania is dead.
3 (6.8%)
I don't know.  My mind was recently violated by a Dark Priest.
3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LoS has locked a sequel, but WILL YOU BUY IT?  (Read 22908 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: LoS has locked a sequel, but WILL YOU BUY IT?
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
also one of the first sites when googled, used to be the first before wikia i believe.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
The Dungeon is probably the most popular Castlevania board right now, though I've heard it's only a shadow of its former self.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »
I have my doubts. I resisted LoS, but ultimately bought it to give it a fair shake (at full price!). It was a solid, quality game--but it was a failure as a relaunch of "Castlevania." Focus and gameplay-wise, it bends things so much that I hardly even think of it as a Castlevania game at this point. I need the next 3D CV to rein in the combos to something more "practical," and use CV64/LoD gameplay & atmosphere as the framework with a better 3D camera. If I see something like that, I'll be enticed. But if it's more of a disjointed genre mash-up of combo-hack'n'slash and scripted platforming, I'm going to have to let it slide to the bargain bin before I give it a try. At its heart, Castlevania is action-platforming; it's hyphenated for a reason: they go hand in hand at all times.

True dat, BUT, the old school version of action-plaforming works great only in 2D. When being converted to 3D, it unfortunately has to be scaled down a lot.  This goes not only for gameplay itself, but also for visual design.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
I recall the CVD being mentioned in a few published gaming magazines (either EGM or Game Informer, don't remember) that had articles on whatever CV game was popular at the time, yeeears ago. So the CVD has been on top for a long time.

Quote from: Nagugumo
The Dungeon is probably the most popular Castlevania board right now, though I've heard it's only a shadow of its former self.

jerkofwonder must have told you that.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »
I too have seen the CVD mentioned in several different mags over the years. That's one of the reasons I want the site to go back up.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
Alright then. point taken.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
I think we are pretty much in a situation of "Come aboard or leave the ship", I'm gladly in but I can understand if some people is turned off by this direction.
If it IS the direction the series is heading in(the definative direction), I have no problem getting off at the next stop. It's not an issue of, "OMG!! It's dead to me and now the world will end.". There's been so many of these types of changes regarding some of my most beloved series(series that are pre-maturely killed off, others that totally change), it's like everything in life. It's the same as growing up with your best friend, then realizing, when the time comes, they start to go their own way, and it's not the way you want to go, so you part ways. I can live without future CVs. Doesn't mean I can't still love the old ones! ;)

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
Unless there is alot of evidence that the LoS sequel is heading in a better direction from my point of view (more memorable and varied music, less Lord of the Rings feel and steered more toward traditional CV gothic dark fiction, etc.), I will more than likely be holding off on buying it. I'll be watching the sequel more intently and will more than likely be putting it under alot of scrutiny due to Lords not exactly being what I was hoping for.

I'm not saying I'll never buy the game if I don't feel it's grown more into its Castlevania roots, as I am a collector of the series and have a tic about making my collection more complete, but I'll probably wait until long after the game has dropped price as I don't want Konami getting my top dollar for a game I don't approve of.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Don't confuse 40% of a tiny corner of the internet with 40% of the entire hardcore fanbase.
And that 40% are like... 15 people? lol I think they don't give a damn aut those 15 after selling millions :P

Everything comes full circle

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Actually, Konami just said they shipped 1 million copies; they never said how many copies were actually sold.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
Which, according to VGChartz, was around 850,000: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/35060/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
And that 40% are like... 15 people? lol I think they don't give a damn aut those 15 after selling millions :P

37 in just a couple days and counting.  The real question you should be asking is if these 37 are truly a "representative sample" of the Castlevania fanbase.  Public polling will generally takes a very small sample of the population to measure public opinion.  Most national polls will sample several hundred people to gauge the opinion of millions...  Naturally the more that participate, the more reliable the data --this 40% has been holding fairly steady so far....

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2011, 01:33:13 AM »
jerkofwonder must have told you that.

Nope.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2011, 02:53:53 AM »
It was a solid, quality game--but it was a failure as a relaunch of "Castlevania." Focus and gameplay-wise, it bends things so much that I hardly even think of it as a Castlevania game at this point.

I think this is a pretty fair judgment. (Castlevania judgment, hurrrrr.) It's hard to deny the quality of certain aspects of the game, but certain things (which I've been quite vocal about) really put me off, more than anything Cox's statement about hating QTEs and then MercurySteam smearing them all over the game. If the sequel fully embraces the Gothic nighttime quality of the epilogue (NOT the city, the church interior) I will be far more interested than I am right now. (Also there's gotta be some way to circumvent the 2 disc shit; couldn't they find a way to make the player only use one when it's installed?)

I'll buy it at some point. Just not right off the bat, and not before copious price drops. 

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
VGChartz

As if they were a reliable source?

Tags:

anything