Absolutely!  Sepcial Edition Please.
10 (22.7%)
Yes, indeed I will.
18 (40.9%)
I have serious doubts...
10 (22.7%)
Absolutely NOT!  Castlevania is dead.
3 (6.8%)
I don't know.  My mind was recently violated by a Dark Priest.
3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LoS has locked a sequel, but WILL YOU BUY IT?  (Read 22912 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: LoS has locked a sequel, but WILL YOU BUY IT?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:04 AM »
I enjoyed LoS, but it was a lie. No QTE? what bull, there WERE PLENTY of QTEs.

What's with all these people reading my mind? I'm getting a little freaked out here.

I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt though, as LoS was not at all a bad first try at 3rd person action. They could really use more help from Konami of Japan, though, like what Capcom did with Dead Rising 2.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 03:34:25 AM »
Only if it has a female playable character.

I don't play Castlevania games that don't have at least one.

Simon was totally a chick in Super Castlevania.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 04:50:20 AM »
I don't konw, i haven't finish the first one, because i felt that i have been left with a black hole from what i have been promissed before the first game came out. If the sequel has a more Castlevania design feeling and some real Castlevania music, then maybe i might change my mind, but until then i'll have some serious doubts.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 05:48:25 AM »
Well LoS had a rocky development cycle with most people assuming it was another game before being titled "Castlevania" and shoe horning and name dropping characters/minor elements at the last minute so that it would increase sales(and it worked for the most part weather we like it or not.) let's not forget that this game was shuffled on weather it was gonna be a new IP or be a legit Castlevania game.

Now that Mercurysteam have build the foundation, they have the opportunity to create a Castlevania game from the ground up now, like LoS was originally intended to be and hopefully they will at least look for the fans(the sane ones) for improvement's to make the next game feel like a Castlevania game.

Or they will totally ignore the fans entirely and develop the game the way they want it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:50:57 AM by Kingshango »

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 05:54:11 AM »
I'll get it so I can complain about it.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 06:06:16 AM »
I thought they partially got it right with the interior levels of Carmilla's castle, but then came the Land of the Necromancers, and it was just
ugh

Offline Codebreak1337

• Codebreak1337- Just keep going
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkD50ZU8mBQ
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 06:31:10 AM »
I probably won't buy it... I never buy a sequel of a sequel... Reminds me yo
Much of ffx-2
Codebreak1337 - THE LEGIT GAMING GURU! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkD50ZU8mBQ

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 06:44:28 AM »
I'll get it so I can complain about it.

I like the way you are thinking!!! ;D
Ruler of Chaos

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
I don't know. It all depends on how I feel about the game when we get to see it.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 08:06:38 AM »
It's pretty much the same for me. I'm not excited for it, but I'm not dreading it either. I'm indifferent at the moment.

Offline Mr.Bushido

• Vampire Hunter
  • I'm the insect woman
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »
They have to change pretty much everything to make me buy the game. If I see arena combat, shitty platforming and LOS music when they show a gameplay vid then I'm not gonna have any interest in it.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »
They will have to make ALOT of changes for me to buy this game such as

1. Add ALOT more classic CV tunes to this game. I was really disapointed at the lack of old CV music in this game which only further made me not consider this the CV title I have been waiting for. I would like for this sequel to posibly include old tracks such as Bloody Tears,Simon's Theme, or Dance of a Holy Man.

2.NO MORE SHIMMERING! I want so good old non fancy platforming please. :)

3.No more lame story twist.

- SPOILER ALERT  -

I just hated that Gabriel had to become Dracula in this new rebirth of Castlevania. It just felt really forced and so lame that they would do such a thing. And having Death once being human was also a pretty stupid thing to do also.

4.Less Daytime stages. I really like my CV dark and gothic and it was sad that the only time I got that feeling was in Carmilla's castle.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:20:49 AM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
  • One needs gold even in hell these days
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
I don't envy the task that MS has on their shoulders.  Making a 3d CV game is sure to piss off legions of hardcore Vania fans....no matter how the game turns out.  There's literally no way they are going to please everyone that adores this franchise.  As a fanbase we are VERY high strung...myself included (at times).

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  While LoS had its shortcomings, I found it a far better exercise in creating a proper 3D Vania than either of Iga's attempts.  That man needs to stick to the 2D series; as it is what he does best.  As someone that really enjoyed LoD, I found myself royally disappointed with LoI and CoD when they arrived.  While the action and graphics had improved, the level design had taken a BIG step backwards.  I always said that LoI got all the things right that LoD had gotten wrong, and it simultaneously got all the things wrong that LoD had gotten right.  LoS may not have gotten totally back to that template that worked so well for LoD, but it came much closer than LoI or CoD ever did.

IMO...if they give us a new Belmont to play with, a big showdown at the Dark Keep with Drac, and a score thick with new arrangements of classic CV tunes.....then they are golden, regardless of what changes they make to the action.  Giving us more "analog" platforming and lots of traditional creatures/bosses would be even sweeter icing on the cake.

Storywise?  Well I have plenty of thoughts on how this new continuity could work moving forward, but I don't work for MS.  Story has never been this series strong point (as many here have pointed out in the past), so I fail to understand how LoS' story made the game so unworthy to some people.  To me, if the action is compelling...then I'm in. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:17:37 PM by Renonsgoods »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »
I'm really pissed at the deceptive marketing, outright lies, and other bullshit they pulled for the first one. I might boycott it out right just based on that to be honest. Perhaps I'll play it by other means, but I don't think I'll be BUYING it and I even got the collectors this last time.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
Lords' was a funny old game, all over the place at times like a shambling corpse.  But it still came at you with a sense of purpose, unshakable in its duty to tell its story, no matter how long it took to shuffle forward.  It had character.

Didn't think I'd say this, but I'll miss the shimmying if it goes.  It gave time to marvel and appreciate the backgrounds and at times draw in the weight of the task at hand.  Moments of solitude on a near-level par with the likes of Metroid Prime I'd even be so bold to say.  Not all button mashing and jump here-and-thither.  Mind, the framerate didn't help when moving about from a control point-of-view, and there were the obvious camera issues.  Not perfect, but damn close. Get rid of that and you get rid of a bit of Lords' character.  However, when all's said and done they may want to try and shoehorn the game better, upgrade the shambling corpse to a death knight or something . . .

MS and Cox will be reading these forums, they might not like what they read at times (!) but they'll appreciate they can raise the bar a bit next time around.  I'm sure they'll want to!

Tags: