Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I don't get the "LoS isn't a CV game" thing  (Read 26293 times)

Offline pimp dracula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: I don't get the "LoS isn't a CV game" thing
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 07:21:30 AM »

>_<
Lmao. Imagine Dracula with that kind of expression. It will turn out to be a comedyvania.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »
That could be the case in PoR. But what about DoS? It have more serious look just like RoB.
DoS does have a more serious tone than PoR. DoS is just an issue of the Anime style they chose being of bad quality.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
just bring Ayami Kojima back on track and we won't be seeing these cheap, childish anime illustrations no more..

Instead we  will see pretty faces that you can hardly tell apart. Also, awkward body proportions, as Pinhead Hector and Swan Neck Annette can surely testify.

That might sound harsh, but I don't see the point of sugarcoating it when obviously no one in Konami had the heart to tell her before publishing. However, I can assure you I'm a fan of her earlier work and new stuff like this. But enough is enough. With other talents like Masaki Hirooka available, I don't see a reason to settle for what she mainly has to offer. CV doesn't have to stick to a single illustration style. She did good for games like SotN, but I can most certainly deal with not having her work on CV in the future.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:29:56 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
+1
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Jose Luis Vaello's art. In fact, it's one of the LoS series' best points. He has a very stylized art that i wish we could see more of in the actual game aside fom character galleries and bestiaries and such.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Jose Luis Vaello's art. In fact, it's one of the LoS series' best points. He has a very stylized art that i wish we could see more of in the actual game aside fom character galleries and bestiaries and such.

Like a cross over between the old and the new but why is it Gabriels hair is so long in the art work but short ingame  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Dengo vlad tepes

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »
we're still missing one thing , the tunes
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:54:06 PM by Dengo vlad tepes »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
Like a cross over between the old and the new but why is it Gabriels hair is so long in the art work but short ingame  :P

apparently no one in the industry likes to animate long hair

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
That could be the case in PoR. But what about DoS? It have more serious look just like RoB.

NOPE

/\

Did this seriously get a -1? LoS had beautiful art, there is no denying it. Especially the environment pieces. I'm a fan of Ayami, but LoS sported excellent quality art.

+1 for you ol' buddy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:41:30 PM by uzo »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Offline pimp dracula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »

NOPE

This looks serious to you then?

or this?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:11:50 AM by pimp dracula »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 05:04:15 AM »
+1
About as serious as a young girl would be perceived to be in 1993. Where Maria was created, to presumably attract the younger and female audiences, she was a wholly separate and contained mode to the game. In contrast to this, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin gushed lame all over the game from top to bottom, offering no alternative mode or tone for the game that fans have come to expect.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 05:08:33 AM »
That's not even the best examples

Just go look at the official art at http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/multi/officialart.htm

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-rob/offart/rob-offart19.jpg
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-rob/offart/rob-offart40.jpg
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-rob/offart/rob-offart30.jpg
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-rob/offart/rob-offart28.jpg

You've got Richter chowing down on a massive piece of meat, Maria singing while her animals look on in horror and Richter playing the guitar
deadly serious stuff no silliness there

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:25:25 AM by C Belmont »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 05:32:05 AM »
+1
Key word art. Artwork outside the game. Bonus content. The game itself is presented with relative seriousness.

And do remember that Classic Castlevania was not always so "serious". It was serious in tone, but was always sort of a tongue in cheek reference to classic horror movies and shit. Simon Belmont was a barbarian for petes sake. Cant quite consider that serious. Bloodlines is where it started to get SRS BSNS, and SoTN cemented that serious style, which continued till OoE. Although again, PoR was a total Joke, DoS with it's pitfalls of Hammer's love troubles was still more serious.

Rondo sort of does the same "this is a B movie" thing, and instead makes it "this is a cheap 90's action anime OVA"

You've got Richter chowing down on a massive piece of meat
because wallmeat in Castlevania is totally a serious thing right? It's been ridiculous since day 1.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:33:51 AM by Flame »

Dominus Agony

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
lol @ the "picking and choosing" of "seriousness."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 06:05:17 AM »
+1
Has anyone noticed I haven't used the word serious once to gauge the worth of Castlevania art?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:17:28 AM by uzo »

Tags:

anything