Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania references  (Read 57400 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania references
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
This is another reference from R+V manga

http://www.onemanga.com/Rosario-Vampire_II/31/21-22/

Not only are the using the name Alucard, but this creature looks a lot like Dracula's form during the battle between him and Alucard at the end of SotN.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:26:38 PM by darkwzrd4 »
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
not only that,  a single vampire that tried to destroy all of humanity, but was defeated by 3 other "heroes" according to the chapters, its obvious that R+V's creators or writes are fans of the series, or at least its very safe to assume :p

Pyuu to Fuku:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQDyKdZZg40
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:36:55 AM by Omegasigma »
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 11:24:23 PM »
Someone on GameFAQs posted this:

http://i28.tinypic.com/241ulhi.jpg

It was from Jeanne D'Arc, a strategy game for the PSP.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:54:04 AM by Pemburu Vampir »

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:25 AM »
I actually saw this, and forgot to post it, lol

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 12:41:09 AM »
Yeah, putting this in the fan section is a bit odd to me.

Anyway, in the Hellsing manga, in the English version at least, in volume 8, there's a chapter entitled "Castle Vania 1".

(All the other chapter titles are references to other video games as well.)

In volume 9, the first chapter is simply titled, "Castle Vania". No obvious Castlevania references in the series beyond that (that I can think of), unless you wanna count the name Alucard, which could have come from either Dracula's Curse or Symphony of the Night, but could also have come from the 1943 film Son of Dracula or any other source that uses that name.

Let's not forget The Castlevania Dungeon's own Weirdness Section, which compiles a lot of references. I seem to recall it mentioning the character Sex Machine from the movie From Dusk Till Dawn, but maybe it was taken down because it's not quite an obvious, clear-cut reference, though the movie features vampires, and Sex Machine has a whip.

(Some light whip-action at around 5:30 of this vid, and of course here; he doesn't really use the whip much, if I recall correctly.)

There's an electronic/remix artist who performs under the name Le Castle Vania. One of the logos actually has the "Vania" part edited from the original NES logo.

There's this particular load screen in 3D Dot Game Heroes:

There are probably more Castlevania references in the game I haven't got to yet. This game is constantly referencing and paying homage to old school video games and sometimes more current games. I fear most of the references go over my head (there are probably a lot pertaining to RPGs, which I've never had much experience with). I would have never gotten the joke about "From Cave" if my brother hadn't been watching me play when I got there. He's played Demon's Souls, and told me how it was developed by From Software, and pointed out all the references to the game in the cave. Pretty funny. :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:09:51 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 02:53:58 AM »
3d dot one is pretty freakin awesome.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
I just purchased 3D Dot Game Heroes a few days ago.
That game is chock full of old game references, the art featured above immediately clicked with me, but there's stuff from other games, such as:
"It's dangerous to go alone!  Take this."
and
"Message from Dr. (I forget his name but it's a reference to Dr.Light from MegaMan games)!
Dash boots completed!  Get your weapons ready."
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:47 AM »
"Message from Dr. (I forget his name but it's a reference to Dr.Light from MegaMan games)!
Dash boots completed!  Get your weapons ready."

What I particularly like about this reference is, if you have the text set to normal (that is, not everything is capitalized), this whole message is in all caps. Makes it more authentic and exciting, heh.

Edit:

Here's something pretty interesting:

Logo from the Dungeons & Dragons campaign, Ravenloft. I wonder if they had Castlevania in mind when they designed the logo and some of the artwork.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:50:12 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
Super mario blue twilight Dx, stage 8, wait till about 1/3 in till the reference takes place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-z7JDT3-Zo

wildarms 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jynLt0UTVXk
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:06:01 PM by Omegasigma »

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
Been mentioned elsewhere before, but Baumer's "The Belmont Curse" is a definite reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v94dAWfdkQ

Not to mention catchy.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
No its the other way around with Ravenloft

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »
It's probably just a coincidence but in the movie "From dusk till dawn" there is a guy in the bar full of vampires killing them with a whip. Everytime I see that I think "Hey it's kinda like Castlevania."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 11:03:59 PM »
Yeah that's Sex Machine. :D
Too bad he ends up turned, later on.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 12:36:16 AM »
yeah Sex Machine is the man!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 02:34:03 AM »
Correction: TOM SAVINI is the man! That guy is great in everything he's involved with, ha ha. Either as an actor or a special effects guy. Love his cameo in the Dawn of the Dead remake.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: