Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV fangame that needs just one thing to get off the ground  (Read 107053 times)

Offline Mega Man Model T 101

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
CV fangame that needs just one thing to get off the ground
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
Hey guys, it's me again with that title I announced in my arrival thread.

It's a fairly simple stage by stage game, with some fairly simple straight forward stages, and some slightly more complex stages where you need to explore a bit more to find the way to the boss.

I developed a pretty solid engine for the program I'm going to be using to make this game, so no need for you guys to bend over backwards to tell me how to do it. ;)

The only thing I do need from you guys though is just one little thing, well, it's kinda a major thing. I'm going to be using an original Belmont character, but I need someone to make the sprite for it. I haven't thought of the name for the character, but what the character looks like I can show you.

I didn't draw the picture, it was drawn by an artist on DA. Not sure if he/she would like me giving out their profile name, but I think they would be honored to see what their drawing spawned.:) I'm a person who gives full credit where credit is due. So like Serio, those who helped out with the project can most certainly expect to see their name within the credits.

So that's pretty much all I need to get this project fully going, is the sprite of the female Belmont. I would say use Serio's Richter sprite that looks like his Symphony of the Night artwork as a base, but I'm not sure if he'd like that.

I have the whip sprites the character will be using, so you don't need to make those apart of the sprite. That's pretty much it. I have pretty much everything else except the main character. Hope to hear from you guys soon on this.
The Legend shall live again....

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: CV fangame that needs just one thing to get off the ground
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »
Made this up real quick.

It's not perfect at all (I have some issues with her knees since she has skin exposed), but it's a good base for someone else (not me) to start making sprites off of.  It matches the concept art.  I would probably use shielded boot caps or taller boots that would cover her knees, or probably reference Yoko Belnades' dress to see how it looks.  Or, use a third skin color (but that would increase the color count past 15+Transparency).

Why not me, you ask?  'cuz I'm busy with other projects at this moment.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:35:08 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
That's pretty slick as is. Reminds me of something out of Bloodlines.
"Stuff and things."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
I developed a pretty solid engine for the program

Can we see a video or have a demo or something? That will help get people interested far more than a paragraph and a drawing.

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
That's a pretty decent base you made Jorge D. Fuentes. And I wasn't going to ask you since I knew you were busy with the Simon sprite already. The other stuff I don't know about, I don't know about.

Anyway, I can't really show a vid or demo yet, since I don't have anything really programmed yet for this game. Also, could you please post the X1 size of the character sprite Jorge? That way some of us can work with it better, since I also don't have a program that resizes images properly. It makes them all fuzzy and blurry.

But, I do have a vid for how well my programming skills are. Note, skip to 0:51

Project announcments

That was something I was working on, but since I had laptop trouble, and we got a new PC, and not all the files got transferred, I lost the data for that. But, I still know how to program it. I know it doesn't count for this particular project, it's just proof that I know how to program a good Castlevania game.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
By program, you mean real programming, or something like Game Maker or Multimedia Fusion?

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
By program, you mean real programming, or something like Game Maker or Multimedia Fusion?

That's pretty much what I mean. I use The Games Factory. It's fairly decent once you get the hang of it. although I would like to use something a little more advanced, but I take what I can get at the moment.

I have the backgrounds, enemies, sounds, props, ect. I just need someone to make the sprite for the main female character. I even came up with a bit of the storyline.

"Over the hundreds of years between Dracula's resurrection cycle, the Belmont Clan had wound up leaving Transylvania Europe, about 50 years after Dracula's last defeat. The Vampire Killer, the Legendary Whip forged long ago by Leon Belmont, back when it was the Whip of Alchemy, has been past to the current strongest Belmont,*Insert female name here*. She had been studying up on her Bloodline, to fully understand what it meant to the Wielder of the Vampire Killer, and why her Bloodline had taken up the oath to destroy the beings of Darkness.

She had learned that the Belmonts had taken on Dracula for eons, and three Belmonts stuck out to her. Christopher, and Simon, two famed Hunters who had taken up arms against Lord Dracula twice, and Sonia.(Yeah, I still consider her apart of the timeline.) Realizing this, she noted that she was the first female Belmont to take up the Whip in ages, considering that it was always the strongest male son to take up the Whip, since none of the females were born during the time of Dracula's coming, and weren't nearly as strong as Sonia was.

She also noted that her current kin weren't nearly as strong or as skilled as the Belmonts of old, not to mention they were much younger than her, and were a bit frail. She vowed to look after them, adding it to her duties of being a Hunter.

She was in the Town Library, studying up on the history of Dracula and his dreaded Demon Castle, and minions of the Darkness, as the days when he might return drew near, always carrying the sacred Whip with her, it was then that Darkness struck, legions of undead and demons started attacking the town, some getting into the Library she was in.

Knowing that Dracula's minions never left Transylvania and Europe before, she knew something was terribly wrong, taking up the whip, she set out to find her brothers, and find passage to Europe, fearing that the place might very well be overrun and is now the Prince of Darkness' stronghold."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
I edited my post and put the 1:1 size sprite.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Thanks Jorge. I'll see if I can work with it, but chances are someone with a bit more experience is gonna have to do it.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
I use The Games Factory. It's fairly decent once you get the hang of it.

Ehhh... That's like Multimedia Fusion--;. About as low as you can go on the scale of game development, excluding genre specific editors like RPGMaker.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 05:59:18 PM »
Yeah, I know, it is rather low, but I tried making something from Game Maker, and I couldn't even figure out how to make backgrounds for a stage, let alone actually make the stage run. Since I know how complicated Game Maker is, I wasn't going to ask you guys since trying to explain it would probably cause more problems.

Unless there is a premade engine for Game Maker, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to stick with GF, sad to say.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
Another board member, TheouAegis, appears to be making an open source GameMaker classic Castlevania engine. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for the game to be like, however this may me worth a look.

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,3460.0.html

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
You guys are simply the BEST! You actually HELP new members! I was aiming for a fairly simple style anyway, so all is good. Thank you very much! Once the sprite is actually done I'll see what I can do with that.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »
You have a woman as the lead Belmont in your game wielding the Vampirekiller...THERE IS A GOD! And I also still consider Sonia Belmont as canon to  ;) Can't wait to give this game a try. By the way, your vid of the test engine looked really solid and hopefully it's not all lost. I'd really like to play this.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »
I've been working on the story for this, and have come up with some pretty interesting fields not touched by Konami or other fan games I think. Like, what if the forces of Dracula managed to spread to other areas of the globe? And I figured having a female Belmont can still work, provided it isn't considered that she's the ONLY only Belmont child born at the time.

That was kinda covered in the Order of Shadows for the Cell Phone, except there were two sisters. I kinda reverse that, and delve into what it means to be a Belmont, and to take up the Whip and why. Hence her looking into her family History. The only real squabble within the Belmont family itself was when Christopher's son was possessed by Dracula. Other than that there was no arguing over who should have the honor of wielding the Sacred Whip.

Also some of the cutscenes I have in mind are kinda told from a diary perspective. For instance this bit of dialog.

"After besting the demon of the water shrine, I found myself standing within the mountain terrain of Transylvania. While I was relieved to see that the land wasn't a barren wasteland, I knew very well it was far from safe from the way the air felt around me.

It was tainted by the darkness of the forces that roamed the land, which were far more vast than I had felt previously. I could see the home of the Prince of Darkness in the very far distance. Being so far yet so visible made my skin crawl, as stated by my ancestors who were born and raised here, and ultimately battled, Castlevania took on many different incarnations and sizes. This was obviously the biggest incarnation, and it wsa obviously taunting me cause of it, as I haven't been able to find my brothers, and if they were anywhere, they were somewhere inside that Demonic Castle...and I had to find a way to free them, and rid us of the foul Count..."

Tags: