Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)  (Read 19175 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
+1
COD is the most successful modern day shooting game. Contra was the most successful shooting game back in the day. It makes every bit of sense to want to attract fans of COD or Halo when you are making a Contra. 

People who like to shoot guns and blow stuff up should want to play Contra. I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comment.

Halo and COD all take inspiration from Contra, just like GOW does from CV. It makes perfect sense for new high budget versions of these games to appeal to the people who play the games they inspired.

What!? Contra and CoD are nothing a like. The only similarity is the fact the player uses a type of gun. It's like saying that people that enjoy apples would logically also enjoy beach balls because they're  both round.

I'm just against reboots by principle, especially when they try to "do something new"—so new that it no longer resembles the old game.

It's why I'm saying fuck off to the new Thief because there's very little there that resembles the old games, so why bother making it a new entry in the series? You're trying to sell a classic series to people who have never heard of it, and you're doing a disservice to original fans who want a continuation of previous experiences, so in the end nobody really wins because it might as well have just been a new IP. The newcomers aren't going to know the difference anyway, and it's not often that a newcomer will go back to like the old games because they're too different from what they were introduced to.

Absolutely! That's always been my argument with not just this sort of reboot, but with movies based on other mediums. Why bother to make drastic changes to established stories when new fans have no sense of the established narrative? All it does is piss off the fans, nothing else. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want to attract new fans how about concentrating on the quality of the product, sufficient advertisement, and good PR practices. And most importantly, drop the ego.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:06:05 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
I wasn't saying they are a lot alike. But it's the same kind of fast paced action and quick deaths. I think fans of COD or a game like Halo could appreciate the action of Contra as well. It's not that big of a far cry man.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
With the kind of fanbase they have, I'm not so sure on that.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »
Cox is not a problem, hopefully he will get a new exciting studio, as Mercury is working on a new IP

Everything comes full circle

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »
+3
A Call of Duty game where if you stop shooting, you're dead? Where weapons and power-ups fly through the sky? Where aliens fight with long tentacles and plasma balls? Where turrets pop out of walls and shoot you from below? Where enemies attack from above, below, fore, aft and everywhere in-between?  Sounds like a shitty CoD clone.

They probably wouldn't do all that? Sounds like a shitty Contra reboot.

I never played CoD after... um... 2 I think. It's just another FPS. I know it's progressed over the years, but I still have fonder feelings for Battlefield than Call of Doody.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 11:00:43 PM »
Cox is not a problem, hopefully he will get a new exciting studio, as Mercury is working on a new IP
I always assumed this meant that MS would be doing the new Contra.
Remember that rumor from some time ago?

If it's just Cox, maybe he will choose a good studio that captures the essence of Contra and translates it to modern gaming (which would be different to Call of Duty in my opinion).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
A Call of Duty game where if you stop shooting, you're dead? Where weapons and power-ups fly through the sky? Where aliens fight with long tentacles and plasma balls? Where turrets pop out of walls and shoot you from below? Where enemies attack from above, below, fore, aft and everywhere in-between?  Sounds like a shitty CoD clone.

They probably wouldn't do all that? Sounds like a shitty Contra reboot.

I never played CoD after... um... 2 I think. It's just another FPS. I know it's progressed over the years, but I still have fonder feelings for Battlefield than Call of Doody.

While reading this I thought of Duke Nukem except not bad and lately I've been playing black ops(I just play it with my friends I got it for cheap) I do not think I'll be paying a full 60-70 for a cod game last one I did was 3 not a good idea -_-.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 05:18:03 AM »
If they turn Contra into a Call of SHIT clone, I think I'm going to have to challenge Cox to a 20 round boxing match where I get to put metal in my boxing gloves while he's blindfolded.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »
This is scary news. Here's my plan. Hear me out: If you want to be faithful to the series, you've got to swallow your pride and go motion controls route. I'm serious. The key to Contra is run-n-gun, with enemies and threats coming and evolving from all directions. If you have a Metroid Prime 3 control scheme in 3rd person (ala Pikmin 3), you have the precision control for running, aiming, and shooting seamlessly on the ground or in the air that two sticks can't give you. There's no need for a cover system in a 3D game if you can move and shoot fluidly in all directions.

Unfortunately, the best we can hope for is probably a Vanquish-type game. That's not bad, but that's still NOT Contra.

I hate to see these classic franchises totally reinvented or buried one after another. Mega Man is MIA, Castlevania is trying to get through a Frankenstein's monster phase, Ghosts N Goblins was last seen stuck on iPhone with some solid games I would have loved for PSP or DS, and Bionic Commando, after an innovative yet faithful 2009 Full-3D reboot that 90% worked--MUCH better than LoS--was sent to a premature grave. I'm probably missing some franchises, but it's just depressing. The last thing I wanted to hear was that Contra fans don't matter, and that Contra would be better suited for CoD fans. Come on! The industry is really getting me down here!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:01:43 PM by RichterB »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »
+1
Who ever said that Contra fans don't matter? Vanquish was an amazing game.

It's bothering to see people complain about a game before any details are revealed. It's senseless negativity. Stop reading too far into comments Cox makes. People are letting their hatred for this man cloud there rationality.

Wait until you actually know something about the game itself before you start busting out the tissues.

Try some optimism!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »
It's bothering to see people complain about a game before any details are revealed. It's senseless negativity. Stop reading too far into comments Cox makes. People are letting their hatred for this man cloud there rationality.

Wait until you actually know something about the game itself before you start busting out the tissues.

We did wait. When LoS was announced and there were only some screen shots to see what all the hype was about. None of us could wait till the game was playable. Then it was released and well...we now know how that turned out. My fear is that Contra is going to suffer this same tragedy. I don't want to get all excited for a game and then shot down hard afterwards. Best to expect the worst first then be pleasantly surprised later...hopefully, but after seeing Cox's LoS track record I have my doubts.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 11:10:19 PM »
It's not confirmed that he'll be the new Contra producer, I mean, he might be (and if LoS2 becomes a success, bet he will be) but right now it's just his personal opinion in the matter.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:13:09 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2013, 04:47:45 AM »
Our bros on the sister site Hardcore Gaming 101 caught Cox-kun in a bit of a lie when he said Contra 4 sold poorly. Simon Lai and Tomm Hulett said it sold surprisingly well in 2009...

http://hg101.proboards.com/post/265178/thread

Which opens a host of new questions about Cox saying previous Castlevanias sold terribly

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2013, 04:58:20 AM »
Well, considering that Cox has been proven a liar before...
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »
Cox in Urban Dictionary: Same as liar.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: