Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)  (Read 19187 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
How about a rail gunner like Sin & Punishment, Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, and Pokemon Snap?
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »
Then it would be like in Contra's stage 2 and similar, but the entire game like that. Would be a good game but would feel like its lacking something to me.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2013, 12:25:19 AM »
Mmmm... I don't know for a Contra game... I like the sidescrolling aspect of Contra.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »
What about my idea earlier of motion controls? See below:

"The key to Contra is run-n-gun, with enemies and threats coming and evolving from all directions. If you have a Metroid Prime 3 control scheme in 3rd person (ala Pikmin 3, but with the camera position behind), you have the precision control for running, aiming, and shooting seamlessly on the ground or in the air that two sticks can't give you. (The field of vision will be right, too, then). There's no need for a cover system in a 3D game if you can move and shoot fluidly in all directions."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
Your idea is good, with a control scheme like that and a 3rd-person view it can be very fluid. IMO a camera like in Metroid: Other M would be good (Im mentioning the camera only).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
I love everything about Metroid: Other M.

It would be a good idea about a motion controlled Contra game, by the way.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »
I like Other M too, but it would not be a good idea too see Contra characters doing all these fancy moves, thats why I specified what I meant :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
Well in Sin & Punishment you could run and jump and roll. It wouldn't have to be a strict rail shooter. I mean, yeah Contra had some freedom to it, but it was still a linear game. They're always redefining rail gunners. I mean, Star Fox 64 had the free roam sections. S&P had rolling, jumping, guns and swords, roundabouts, etc. And Panzer Dragoon had 360-degree combat. So it's not like a rail gunner would be particularly restricted. If they wanted, there's no rule that says a rail gunner can't allow backtracking.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:40:05 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »
There is not one rail gunner game that has been released to this day that I have enjoyed.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »
Which ones have you played?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 12:51:11 AM »
Space Harrier and Night Striker are 2 great rail gunners.

Contra should never strive to be one.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
Space Harrier is that one similar to Dragon's Lair in gameplay? If so its really good but I dont count it as a rail shooter because of the gameplay.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »
Space Harrier is that one similar to Dragon's Lair in gameplay? If so its really good but I dont count it as a rail shooter because of the gameplay.

Let me retype this post. The games are absolutely nothing alike, Space Harrier is a prime example of an on-rails shooter, Dragon's Lair is a choose your path type of adventure game that can be different each time you play, very memory based. Look on Youtube for a video of both, you'll see they are absolutely about as far different from one another as can be. You are thinking of that other laserdisc game, Space Ace.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:29:00 PM by Bloodreign »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
Oh man I've played a bunch of rail gunners. Ground Zero Texas, Area 51, time crisis, House of the dead, a bunch of arcade games. Nothing recent, but that's because I decided a long time ago that I didn't like that genre.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
Let me retype this post. The games are absolutely nothing alike, Space Harrier is a prime example of an on-rails shooter, Dragon's Lair is a choose your path type of adventure game that can be different each time you play, very memory based. Look on Youtube for a video of both, you'll see they are absolutely about as far different from one another as can be. You are thinking of that other laserdisc game, Space Ace.

Yes, that should be Space Ace that I was talking about, I've never seen Space Harrier then. I was talking about this game that comes with Dragon's Lair in this collection for Wii.

Oh man I've played a bunch of rail gunners. Ground Zero Texas, Area 51, time crisis, House of the dead, a bunch of arcade games. Nothing recent, but that's because I decided a long time ago that I didn't like that genre.

House of the Dead: Overkill and Resident Evil: Umbrella (Darkside too) Chronicles are pretty fun to play, even more if with a friend.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: