Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)  (Read 19181 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »
I think what should be done is to sign a petition to Contra's creator to Not let Cox anywhere near his beloved franchise. It's obvious he's not in charge (that's Konami) but he might just have enough weight in the company to let the others know that it's a bad idea.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »
Our bros on the sister site Hardcore Gaming 101 caught Cox-kun in a bit of a lie when he said Contra 4 sold poorly. Simon Lai and Tomm Hulett said it sold surprisingly well in 2009...

http://hg101.proboards.com/post/265178/thread

Which opens a host of new questions about Cox saying previous Castlevanias sold terribly

Really now? That's good to hear. I was afraid that it bombed horribly for some reason.

I guess it makes sense since Konami decided to keep at a couple of 2D games afterward.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:17 AM »
I think what should be done is to sign a petition to Contra's creator to Not let Cox anywhere near his beloved franchise. It's obvious he's not in charge (that's Konami) but he might just have enough weight in the company to let the others know that it's a bad idea.

I don't think petitions work in this industry.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
Really now? That's good to hear. I was afraid that it bombed horribly for some reason.

I guess it makes sense since Konami decided to keep at a couple of 2D games afterward.

Contra 4 was one of the most enjoyable games I've played in the last decade. I bought a DS for it. I guess Contra 3DS was cancelled? It was announced with 3DS, and listed until the end of Nintendo Power, but no news has surfaced since.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 05:59:08 AM »
I can almost guarantee that a new Contra game won be 2d, especially if it's on a console. I COULD however see it beig a decent 3d 3rd person shooter and maybe the Base levels being 1st person.

I can definitely see the pessimism here but i could see this actually being good.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
Maybe good as a game, but (at least personally) I don't see it being a good Contra game.

And here I have to disagree about something: why so much hate for Call of Duty?
Especially Modern Warfare 3. I really enjoyed that game! (it was the first PC game I played in HD).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
+2
Just dropping in to remind everyone once again.. We know nothing about this game!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »
I was speaking assuming it would be a Call of Duty clone as some people mentioned.
I really don't know even if it will exist.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
+1

No hate for Call of Duty, but Call of Duty =/= Contra. We dont want to make Contra looks like something it isnt.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
+1
I agree with that, but I perceived some people dislike CoD, that's why I was wondering, because from what I've gathered playing MW2 and 3, they are fine games.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »
Thats true, I think its because FPS games that are launched yearly gather a lot of stupid and annoying people to their fanbase. Since the main focus of CoD is the multiplayer game this affects the game too.

So IMO its because it is a "stupid people magnet" and because of these annoying people playing it, not the game itself.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
Maybe good as a game, but (at least personally) I don't see it being a good Contra game.

Especially Modern Warfare 3. I really enjoyed that game! (it was the first PC game I played in HD).

I grew up playing the first couple Contra games, but even I'll admit that times have changed. 2d sidescrolling games are a hard sell in an era of 3d. In my mind, it COULD be a great Contra game. Imagine the Base levels from Super C, but instead of the overheard view, you're looking from behind the character. So maybe more like the Base levels from Contra 1, but you can move in all directions rather than just forward.

As for CoD, I read an interview with a guy creating an indie (but still going to be on consoles I think) FPS on the state of the FPS genre and he said that CoD basically dumbed it all down. Basically, the game does so much for you from auto-aim to overpowered weapons, etc that it's really killed the genre by making so that if you're skilled at that game, then that doesn't mean you'll be good at any other FPS than CoD. I guess when they were testing his game players complained about some of the things like movement and such by saying that they were "different from CoD" when the way his game was designed was more like hardcore shooters. I'm not really an FPS guy myself, but I'll admit I really like the Unreal Tournament games. I suck at CoD (and all FPS games really). xD

EDIT: HEre's that article. It's the guy who developed Red Orchestra 2. It's a really interesting article even if you don't like FPS games. http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:07:02 PM by DoctaMario »

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
I see your point there. Developers would have to be very careful so that the game aesthetics resemble Contra, and that the music sounds like Contra. A Contra game with epic orchestral Hollywood type of music just won't work for me.
I believe that Contra is in top form right now with relatively recent releases like Contra 4, Contra: Rebirth or Contra: Hard Corps Uprising. I'd like it to stay that way. But if they make a new 3D Contra game, at least I hope it looks and sounds like a Contra game, and not like something else (which I like separately, because I love Modern Warfare 2 and 3 looks and soundtracks... just not for Contra). But I understand what you say and I really see the possibility now that I gave that idea some thought.

As for FPS, I never liked them because I never played them and I associated them with (as Lely said) stupid people. But after playing both said games (MW2 and 3) my mind changed. Previously, the only shooter I can recall playing was Resident Evil 4, and that was a 3rd person shooter, so it counts only a little. Oh, and FF7 Dirge of Cerberus too (Shelke is so cute! ♥).
And the final gigantic thing that happened to me was playing the Bioshock saga. I loved all 3 games and they became all-time favourites for me, so I guess I can say that Bioshock changed my mind in that way.
And the last thing was playing The Last Of Us (3rd person shooter). It's one of the games I've enjoyed the most (not without flaws, but it's something unique and majestic).
And now, here I am, soon to be playing Dishonored, Metro: The Last Light, and waiting like crazy for 1886: The Order, all of them shooters. So, I am a changed player right now.
I used to say no to modern games, no to westerns, no to shooters, but they changed my point of view with masterworks.

So... let them make Contra, but please keep the music and the looks of Contra.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »
What they should be doing is making a Contra game along the lines of Contra: Shattered Soldier. That game was fully 3D but functioned like its 2D predecessors. Even today it's still an amazing game to play and one of the hardest too.

In my mind, it COULD be a great Contra game. Imagine the Base levels from Super C, but instead of the overheard view, you're looking from behind the character. So maybe more like the Base levels from Contra 1, but you can move in all directions rather than just forward.

They had this in C: The Contra adventure. It's one of the two least-liked Contra games ever made and a dark time for the franchise until Shattered Soldier was released.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 06:26:45 PM »
I still have to play Shattered Soldier.
I never got to play it, I guess I didn't have much faith in it because of the 3D (I used to be very selective and I didn't want anything in 3D many years ago).

Tags: