Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)  (Read 19196 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
If someone were to do Contra, to say hypothetically, it would be like a new IP in many ways. We are hardcore gamers, we played those games, but there are a lot of people that don’t know what Contra is. They have no idea. There is a massive audience out there, they play Call of Duty and love those games, but they don’t know what Contra is. I think if we were going to reintroduce something to that audience. It has to be new, unique, it’s got to stand out. It’s got to have a new idea, something really cool about it that’s never been done before

Yeah... would you REALLY want to try to appeal to the CoD audience with a new Contra? Urgh....

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/12/if-konami-makes-a-new-contra-it-has-to-do-something-new-says-castlevania-producer/

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »
Okay, so he is not creative enought to create a totally new IP an plans to use a already existing IP and try to mask it as a new IP, when in reality it isnt, He mentioned Call of Duty in a way that makes me think that he plans to transform Contra in a CoD clone instead of using new ideas or already existing ideas from Contra. Also he says that a lot of people doesnt know what Contra is, that means that he wants to explain it (possibly in a reboot). Hmm... I should really answer or everyone else noticed that it will receive the same treatment as Castlevania if we let this guy go ahead?

He plans to transform Bill in a alien in the end or what?

"I guess Silent Hill would be the obvious one. Sometimes a series needs a little break. Sometimes it needs to have fresh eyes, a new team to come in and bring their creative vision to it. Perhaps, Silent Hill will be a project Konami that can bring back,"

NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:07:23 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
+2
I really loath modern day executive logic regarding trends. Loath it to the point that if I had the power to just eject all those who agree with it into space with a push of the button, then, BLAMMO!

He plans to transform Bill in a alien in the end or what?
Bill IS Red Falcon!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:06:57 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »
Im now %100 positive that Cox's next project is the Contra reboot that was dropped by Yager studios.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »
Cox being involved in a Contra game does not mean it will be a bad game.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »
Cox being involved in a Contra game does not mean it will be a bad game.

At least someone doesn't believe that he is a bad omen, thanks for believing in him for me, I cant do that anymore... If at least he can make Lords of Shadow 2 be good and make us restore a % of confidence in him it would be cool, its a hard task but he can still do it.  :-\
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »
Lords of Shadow was a success despite how some people may feel about it. The last few Contra games have been awesome. So if they change it up, I'm not worried because I'm not starving for a traditional Contra game. I feel well fed in that department and welcome something fresh.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »
+3
Looking forward to a cinematic Contra game where there are frequent pauses in the action and has nothing to do with the series aside from the name. Because making something new out of an existing IP is completely cool, right? Asses to actually making an original IP and not fucking up the series.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »
Well, I thought Lords of Shadow was awesome. I loved the cinemas and they had superb voice acting. And I thought the spirit of CV was very present. I felt that way about LOS while also acknowledging that it wasn't what I would have chosen to do. still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A contra game of that quality would make me happy. Still, there's no reason to think that they would go about a contra reboot the same way that they went about Castlevania. I wouldn't assume anything about a game that has had near zero details revealed about it.

There's no reason to be negative about something you know nothing about just because one man you know of is involved.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »
+1
I'm just against reboots by principle, especially when they try to "do something new"—so new that it no longer resembles the old game.

It's why I'm saying fuck off to the new Thief because there's very little there that resembles the old games, so why bother making it a new entry in the series? You're trying to sell a classic series to people who have never heard of it, and you're doing a disservice to original fans who want a continuation of previous experiences, so in the end nobody really wins because it might as well have just been a new IP. The newcomers aren't going to know the difference anyway, and it's not often that a newcomer will go back to like the old games because they're too different from what they were introduced to.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »
+3
This guy knows how to anger me.

New and unique? You mean like how Lords of Shadow was new and unique? You blithering fat fuck.

So Lords of Shadow = God of War clone. Lords of Contra = Gears of War clone.

Calling it right now.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »
+1
Haha, Cox summoned a dodo bird.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »
This is all I can add to this thread.

The shits gonna hit the fan

Thanx Cox.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
+2
Well, I thought Lords of Shadow was awesome. I loved the cinemas and they had superb voice acting. And I thought the spirit of CV was very present. I felt that way about LOS while also acknowledging that it wasn't what I would have chosen to do. still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A contra game of that quality would make me happy. Still, there's no reason to think that they would go about a contra reboot the same way that they went about Castlevania. I wouldn't assume anything about a game that has had near zero details revealed about it.

There's no reason to be negative about something you know nothing about just because one man you know of is involved.
It's NOT because of JUST the one man involved, it's that he wants to a appeal to the Call of Duty fanbase. I have nothing personal against CoD fans or the games themselves, but the idea of studios feeling the need to appeal to them by spamming clones is not something I find easy to swallow. Especially if it's changing a franchise that is TOTALLY NOT like that into something that is TOTALLY IS. An interesting example is what Capcom did with Resident Evil.... yeah, you know they were aiming to try and tap into that CoD/Battlefield fanbase with the latter installments(even though the RE games weren't really FPS). 

Again, it's just that damn "executive logic" where they don't have the BALLS to actually impliment these ideas into a NEW franchise/IP, they just have to go, "Hmmm, what old 'familiar' franchise can we bring back, gut it of everything that made it original or unique and fill it with whatever's trendy for a quick cash-in with hopes it will appeal to whatever gaming trend is popular now!!". Oddly enough, I'd actually be for these folks(hell, I'd applaud them) had they actually had the GALL to do something NEW and create a NEW IP, but for the fact they are too chicken shit to do that, I loath them(maybe even pity them).

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
Next E3 is gonna be a blast. A next gen Contra by Mercurysteam and a new Castlevania done (most likely ) by Climax.

It's gonna be like waiting for the results of a pregnancy test even though she's already 7 months pregnant.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:11:09 PM by Kingshango »

Tags:

anything