Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?  (Read 54692 times)

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
I think the problem is that when companies chase the AAA train, when that goes bust, they have less and less to fall back on. To me, at least, it would seem more wise to persue the AAA crowd, but still nurture the lesser "classed" titles so when the trend goes bust(and trends DO go bust), you have other franchises keeping you afloat. Trying to make EVERYTHING appealing to the AAA audience, IMO, is like shooting planks out from beneath you. You are got so much time until you are tip-toeing on a few planks, trying to keep balance and not fall to your death.

That's just me, though. I think a well wiser endeavor would be to secure a stable audience(like many long running franchises have) with titles that aren't specifically AAA, and dabble in attracting AAA audiences with various projects, but don't fuck up either relationship. The focus should be creating a stable fanbase and your company's longevity, putting all your money down on ONE big project(which will either be a big fuckin score or sink you). Isn't that the whole purpose of "business", keeping the money flow constantly coming in rather than going for that one big score(that everything's riding on)?

Everything you said makes sense. The issue here is we have people driven by nonsense; the goal for many companies - especially in Capitalism 12.0 - is to make as much money as fast as possible. Regarding games, it seems the most money is made fastest at two extremes; pure casual, social games primarily for phones, and dat AAA experience on consoles. The problem most companies are having in that in this race, they are all betting the entire foundation of their companies, their IPs, their works, on it being surefire successes. The real meat is found somewhere in the middle, and while it surely is not as much as it is at the extremes, if a company can plan around it everyone wins. From Software is perhaps Japan's premiere game developer doing this with the only major difference is that people have caught on with the types of games they've been making since 1994.

When you have companies saying a game selling 5 million is a failure, we have mondo uh ohs going on here.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »

I guess he's being coy as to why he's at TGS.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »
ahahaha... if that's the case, then we might see something.

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
+1
Whatever his project was, it appears to be on hold.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-castlevania-symphony-of-the-nights-koji-igarashi-puts-independent-dream-game-on-hold

Koji Igarashi, who served as Co-Director on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, has put his “dream game,” and the game he knows his fans want, on hold. As a result, he’s taken a job at a mobile developer/publisher, and has struck a deal to eventually continue his project.

“It’s kind of an unusual agreement,” he told IGN. “I have a special carve-out that allows me to work with another publishing partner or find other routes to fund my dream game.”

Edit: Beaten by a literal second.

Offline Oniros

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
THE DREAM IS DEAD :(
(click to show/hide)

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Damn Cellphone/Mobile market!

Edit: Beaten by a literal second.

;D NP
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
Gotta link the bit where James Rolfe does the Godzilla-sized "FUCK!", because that best represents how I'm feeling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8mQHotlaFo&feature=youtu.be&t=14m16s
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:55:44 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Anonym

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Well, that was tragic, also slightly hilarious.
Maybe he doesn't believe a kickstarter will bring as much money he needs to make his "dream game"?

How much did Symphony cost to make?
Mighty no9 made almost 4 million, is that enough?

Offline Akumajou Jason XX

• Hunter in Training
  • I've made a huge mistake.
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
This is dispiriting.
Braun is perhaps the world's leading expert in laser weaponry, and his presence in the Kavango means that the Soviet bloc is planning some sort of laser mission.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
Noooooo!!!!!!!!!

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
da fuck IGA?

You could have at least gave kickstarter a shot!

I'm so certain you would have AT LEAST pushed past the 1 mllion mark given fans crave a 2.D castelvania just as much as fans where craving a 2.D mega man game with Mighty No 9

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2014, 09:37:45 PM »
yeah...this is depressing. :-(

Offline angevil

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2014, 12:08:24 AM »
This is a sad unexpected turn..I had very high hopes, after long time. IGA was on the way to make the DREAM, IGAvania that many of us love. I think Kickstarter is the way to go. I am ready to give money, more than usual for this game. It would be amazing to also have collaborations with Michiru Yamane and Ayami Kojima. There are so many possibilities. Order of Ecclesia was my last game that I enjoyed and I think it was excellent in every aspect.

Btw, I was absent from the forum since ″the new reimagined Castlevania″ came out. I was and still am strongly against the LOS games, because of how they butchered/raped CV franchise. I always said what I thought and I got negative feedback here, so I didn`t post anymore. From the moment it was announced I said it was not really a CV game, Konami just gave it the CV name, its character names and such, but it was different in spirit and gameplay; ultimately it was a rape on CV series/story. Some of those games might be good for themselves, but Konami gave them the CV name just to sell better and make marketing/commercial impact with the reimagination of CV in a big way. I think it was sad for old fans, maybe it was interesting for new fans, but I realized CV was dead. That is just how I see it. After a few years of ″LOS saga″, I think there are more CV fans that would agree with me and gamers that would support IGA`s Kickstarter project.

I accepted the death of CV, I made my peace..we do have old games and they are not going to disappear. I wish we get more 2D games that are similar to IGA`s games or old classic CVs. If IGA makes the game, I don`t care how it is called. I know what I liked about those games, it was either the atmosphere, the gameplay, the music, the artwork..so whatever the game is called, I hope one day it will come true. Someone should contact IGA and encourage him to go to Kickstarter.

Something similar happened with Italian horror comic book Dylan Dog. It is an excellent comic book that has been published since 1986. In 2011 the US made a movie Dylan Dog: Dead of night, in which they did the same what Konami made with LOS saga. The movie was bad, it just had the same name of the character, they gave him the same clothes and zombies. Everything else sucked and it didn`t have anything to do with the spirit of the comic book. It was a rape on Dylan Dog, using its name to make some money. It was truly sad and disappointing, just to see it happening. This year, two guys are releasing a fan film, Vittima degli eventi, made by crowd funding, similar to Kickstarter. This movie is true to the comic book, in spirit, in almost every element. This is something to admire and respect. Fans can get what they want through independent projects and they are willing to fund it because they are getting what they love so much.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2014, 12:48:57 AM »
So that's the reason why he said he is no longer a bum.
Damn, and I thought that job he got was his dream project.
 :'(

Tags:

anything