Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MS: "People is not dumb and won't stick just to the little number"  (Read 33626 times)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: MS: "People is not dumb and won't stick just to the little number"
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 02:47:19 AM »
... W-wait, is that the same Pfil as in Bondage Fairies?!

Man, I'm slipping...

And i thought, that i was the only one looking/reading things like that............... :P

PS: Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to quote from 2 different pages.

While you writing your respond/message next to the spoiler tag button on the left is a insert quote button. press it and then copy the text you want to quote and insert it there, like i did right now with you.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2013, 03:07:06 AM »
Thanks!  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 08:23:53 AM »
I read things like that too, I will check that one now.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »
+1

So, if people aren't "dumb" and are actually capable of looking beyond mediocre scores on Metacritic, then why isn't MoF selling? I think MS should think about that for a while.

It's interesting to see how far behind the video game industry is when it comes to PR and marketing. They just don't have a clue. They're stuck in a time when companies were talking above its audience heads rather than listening carefully to what it has to say.

I wonder what will happen to the Castlevania series after this. The series is kind of... cursed! I imagine a lot of game studios wouldn't go near this franchise now, because they're gonna look at Mercury Steam and realize that things can go horribly wrong if you don't do your homework. At least when you're dealing with a franchise that has so much history. And Mercury Steam thought it was a good idea to ignore all of it, which worked for one game and then the second one bombed. I predict LoS2 to be a MASSIVE flop, possibly putting Mercury Steam out of business.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
+1
Well, Hideo Kojima could trot out, put his face on the thing and plaster KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS all over it like what they did with LoS1 to make people think he was the one behind it again. Guaranteed sales right there.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
So, if people aren't "dumb" and are actually capable of looking beyond mediocre scores on Metacritic, then why isn't MoF selling? I think MS should think about that for a while.

It's interesting to see how far behind the video game industry is when it comes to PR and marketing. They just don't have a clue. They're stuck in a time when companies were talking above its audience heads rather than listening carefully to what it has to say.

I wonder what will happen to the Castlevania series after this. The series is kind of... cursed! I imagine a lot of game studios wouldn't go near this franchise now, because they're gonna look at Mercury Steam and realize that things can go horribly wrong if you don't do your homework. At least when you're dealing with a franchise that has so much history. And Mercury Steam thought it was a good idea to ignore all of it, which worked for one game and then the second one bombed. I predict LoS2 to be a MASSIVE flop, possibly putting Mercury Steam out of business.
Either that, or a WORSER case scenario, Konami pulls funding, LoS2 is scrapped and MS still go under(this actually has happened quite a lot with various studios this generation). Cox would still be fine, though. Maybe not as influential, unless that whole side of Konami(Europe) goes under(though that's doubtful).

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
Well, Hideo Kojima could trot out, put his face on the thing and plaster KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS all over it like what they did with LoS1 to make people think he was the one behind it again. Guaranteed sales right there.

If that works my faith in humans' inteligence will greatly drop. This happened one time because they thought that it would be like a classicvania in almost all aspects (atleast me and almost everyone that I know expected that) and then who buyed enjoyed it as a game, some other people enjoyed it as CV and the rest hated it. Now we KNOW what to expect, so only people that liked this style will buy it. Even if they put a Kojima Productions logo in it or Santa Claus Corp. :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
Yes, you can't fool people twice with the same trick.

And if no other company wants to come near Castlevania, then that's the perfect scenario for Konami to step in and bring it back home.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2013, 04:31:59 AM »
Yes. Unless they decide to pull the plug on the entire franchise (worst case scenario).

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2013, 04:51:08 AM »
Yes. Unless they decide to pull the plug on the entire franchise (worst case scenario).

Unlikely (if by pulling the plug you mean never doing anything with the IP ever again). The series might go into deep sleep, but I don't think a definite stop to the series is realistic. I mean, it's not like they have to; when the series is on hold, does it cause any expenses? I suppose an indefinite hold would be even worse than dying. But if it's a choice between limbo, ending or selling, I hope it's the third option.

Then again, how often does that happen? I mean a Japanese company selling its game franchise? Not very often, I'd guess. Sure, they've been outsourcing to the west, but selling the rights..?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:58:30 AM by A-Yty »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »
I am glad I never bought these arrogant asshole's games and never will. Time for Konami to hand the series off to a new dev.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how well LOS2 does sales wise now without the Kojima name behind it. And while MoF never stood a chance (coming off of a trilogy of critically acclaimed games on the DS so the bar was set significantly high), LOS2 has nothing to fall back on but it's gameplay, rather than who's co producing it.

And if Mercurysteam manages to screw up a game that lets you play as Dracula in (two) open world environments then may god have mercy upon them.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
And people very often stick to the little numbers.

If Roger Ebert gave a movie a 2 out of 10, would you go see it?
If Gene Siskel gave it a thumbs down and Ebert gave it a thumbs down too, would you go see it?

If your Baptist pastor said a movie was the work of the devil and should be boycotted, would you boycott it?
If the Pope said a game was a bane on mankind and should be boycotted, would you boycott it?

If the Catholic Youth Organization refused to attend any baseball games because a team's manager was having an affair, would you penalize that manager?

No, people aren't dumb, they're just mindless most of the time.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Even without Kojima's name officially on the box, the first has that association and it will be enough to carry the second a decent distance. The first game sold very well, and if the established fanbase is still that large, it'll do well for a second round.

MoF had a lot of other factors working against it, so it's not really reflective of how LoS2 will do.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to LoS2 and I hope it turns out awesome. I wonder when they're gonna announce a release date?

Tags:

anything