Poll

What game in the Castlevania franchise is the worst?

Castlevania
0 (0%)
Simon's Quest
3 (2.7%)
The Castlevania Adventure
17 (15.3%)
Dracula's Curse
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV
1 (0.9%)
Belmont's Revenge
1 (0.9%)
Rondo of Blood
1 (0.9%)
Bloodlines
0 (0%)
Dracula X
1 (0.9%)
Symphony of the Night
5 (4.5%)
Legends
11 (9.9%)
Castlevania 64
14 (12.6%)
Legacy of Darkness
3 (2.7%)
Chronicles
0 (0%)
Circle of the Moon
4 (3.6%)
Harmony of Dissonance
5 (4.5%)
Aria of Sorrow
0 (0%)
Lament of Innocence
3 (2.7%)
Dawn of Sorrow
2 (1.8%)
Curse of Darkness
19 (17.1%)
Portrait of Ruin
4 (3.6%)
Dracula X Rondo of Blood Remake
2 (1.8%)
Order of Ecclesia
3 (2.7%)
The Adventure Rebirth
0 (0%)
Order of Shadows
12 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Worst Game in Series  (Read 52417 times)

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »
CV 64 is god awful, lots of glitches, horrible camera, unreponsive control, almost unexisting music, bt the worst of the worst, SKELETONS ON MOTORCYCLES!  :-X

I love 64! I understand bitching about glitches, but what 3D game back then didn't, I've never had any problems with any controls, the music is fantastic and really sets the mood. The level design is fun and I felt it was a great translation from the earlier 2D titles.  I love that game, it's in my top 5 CV games.

But yes, I will give you the motorcycle skeletons. They are completely awful!
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
I voted Curse of Darkness, the story was one of the worst in the series, the voice acting was over used anime dub actors (Chrispin Freeman is a tool), graphics were a massive heap of chemical vomit, the character designs were about as hot topic as you can get, the gameplay was lame and simplistic, I wont even go into the level designs, even the music were a huge disappointment to me it just sounded like yamane just got bored. It was a massive step back from Lament of innocence. If you took Chaos Legion, Symphony of the Night, and Pokemon tossed it into a blender, put it in the glass and consumed it then vommited back up then you would have the equlivant to Curse of Darkness in mush form. Ill take skeletons riding on motorcycles anyday of the week over that lame ass pile of crap.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
it's really sad that Order of Shadows gets overlooked even as a candidate for worst Castlevania game ever.

i suppose the Tiger Electronics Castlevania games don't count...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:07:15 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
I voted Lament of Innocence. It wasn't a terrible game, but it is one of the few in the series that I've never felt compelled to revisit after the initial run-through. I found it an un-involving, tedious button-masher with little incentive to explore or replay.

I've never played it, but from everything I've heard, Haunted Castle should probably be running away with this poll, the consensus seems to be it is nearly unplayable, almost certainly un-finishable. It probably would be leading this poll, of course, but for one inconvenient fact: It isn't in it, you've forgotten it, which says a lot on its own.  :P  

B-but, what about COD? :O For what LOI is, COD is that and so much worse. Except it tries to make less claustrophobic and standard stage designs, but ends up being more boring in the process. Music's not as good, visuals aren't as fun to look at... LOI is a pretty rad game, and I played through it a few times, despite its flaws. COD, I STILL haven't managed to beat because I get bored every time I try to play it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Worst Game in Series
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 12:39:24 AM »
Sorry.. had forgotten about Order of Shadow.
Added it now, and sorry you guys who wanted to vote for it..

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 02:04:19 AM »
Where is the Judgment?
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 02:08:04 AM »
I was expecting to see ... PoR getting more votes here..

Please allow me . . .

[edit] Portrait of Ruin was completely devoid of character or charm.  Playing it felt like going through the motions rather than it being an experience.  Castleroid by numbers with some silly artwork and banal dialogue thrown in.  The setting had so much potential, and it was effectively wasted.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:27:16 AM by The Silverlord »

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 05:06:33 AM »
Where is the Judgment?

Judgement is not a Castlevania game!!
If you don't agree, it is MY poll :P

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 05:58:25 AM »
Judgement is not a Castlevania game!!
I agree!!
XD
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Danial

• you now possess Dracula's Wallet
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »
it's really sad that Order of Shadows gets overlooked even as a candidate for worst Castlevania game ever.

This.

I'm guessing most people haven't played it.  OoS isn't a bad game for what it is.  When you are talking about it, you have to consider it was made for phones, not a real platform.  So, in general, I think it did good with what it had.

But, compared to every other game in the series, it is the worst one.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
almost unexisting music,

Yes, how dare a game respect the sound of silence!

CV64 is awesome. Third best in the series IMO.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »
No option for Haunted Castle, Vampire Killer MSX, the IBM/Commodore64/Amiga conversions of CV1, or the Tiger Handhelds?  Those would all probably get votes for the worst.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:03 AM »
Ah yea... Order of Shadows... I never played it though, so I just went with PoR.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
yeah vampire killer msx IS fuckin horrible. I wouldnt say Haunted Castle is bad tho its just old school arcade hard so you have to keep feedin it change. My vote was for CV64

Offline A. Rex

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »
Please allow me . . .

Portrait of Ruin was completely devoid of character or charm.  Playing it felt like going through the motions rather than it being an experience.  Castleroid by numbers with some silly artwork and banal dialogue thrown in.  The setting had so much potential, and it was effectively wasted.

While Potrait was rather mediocre by Castlevania standards, it's still a rather decent game, and by no means the worst in the series.

Also, doesn't Haunted Castle make you start back at the beginning when you lose all your lives, even if you keep pumping in quarters?

Tags: