Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Gametrailers' Castlevania Retrospective  (Read 56607 times)

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Gametrailers' Castlevania Retrospective
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 07:19:45 PM »
I know you guys really like your Rondos and Super CV4, but SOTN is just on another level.

I know you guys really like your Symphony, but SCV4 is just on another level. :P
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline SomaCruz90

• Hunter in Training
  • Pimpin aint easy
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »
SCV4 is probably the best of the Classic style, but its rigid platforming, perfunctory level design, and art direction/soundtrack that never rises above "solid" kinda kills any interest in replaying it.

I should probably have said this in the "SomaCruz90 plays through the CV thread", because I don't think we need another SCV4/SotN argument >_>

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 10:24:51 PM »
SCV4 is probably the best of the Classic style, but its rigid platforming, perfunctory level design, and art direction/soundtrack that never rises above "solid" kinda kills any interest in replaying it.

I should probably have said this in the "SomaCruz90 plays through the CV thread", because I don't think we need another SCV4/SotN argument >_>

Yeah, what happened to that thread? It's fading.  :-[
(I've already given some props to SotN. But just to give the other side of the reasoning, SCV4 used "Mode 7" graphics to great effect, and the sprites were big. The rotating rooms, the spinning backgrounds, and scaling map were striking. The use of the whip was a more versatile weapon & tool than in any 2D Castlevania--the sheer joy of swinging over gaps, attacking in 8 directions, or wielding the thing like a nunchuck, shield, or net-like trap for enemies. The game just was super creepy and its locales really spanned a sense of a journey through a complete world. And finally, it had an ambitious score with parts like the haunting waterfall/cave tune that breaks out into a impromptu jazz piece before you fight the twin serpents. SotN, meanwhile, felt like a mix of Super Metroid with evolved Simon's Quest elements, though it was nice as well. I have to say, they gave it more screen time and more time to shine in this retrospective it seems. Personally, though, the whole remixed/upside-down castle thing is kind of padding and the game gets a more meandering feel the deeper you get into it. That sense of mystery is good the first time, but it wears thin upon revisits. Especially when some of the areas seem repetitive in their visual sections, like the bell-tower/cathedral parts. Also, as easy as SCV4 tends to be, SotN, with its floaty controls, super-powers, and lack of instant deaths just drops the tension about 85%. SotN is good, and for a time I ranked it higher, but these days I feel SCV4 had a more lasting appeal and atmosphere. Still, I can't deny that SotN was a beautiful production with a lot of care put in. All things equal, it comes down to one's taste of games--Gothic action-platforming, or a more romantic, breezy, mysterious exploration adventure).

Offline GameGuruNT

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 12:46:50 AM »
Yeah, I agree that Super Castlevania IV is the best of the Classicvanias. I wouldn't rate it above Symphony of the Night, but it's definitely far better than what I played of Circle of the Moon. Haven't actually played a Metroidvania in the series other than SotN or CotM, since I have a tough time getting them for cheap. Before you comment, I have the Virtual Console and XBLA releases of the Castlevania games I currently own and, unfortunately, don't really have the money or room to get them for the original console.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:48:44 AM by GameGuruNT »

Offline Akira

• Der Steppenwolf
  • Hunter in Training
  • iLurk
  • Awards The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Carpe Noctum
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »
Sorry for the "necromancy", but I just found part III :)

Part III: Realm of Horror - The Castlevania Retrospective

"A smaller force defeating a much larger army, that is the beauty of strategy"

[ deus . ex . machina ]

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
I was expecting them to shit on the N64 titles considering the "dark days" comment from the prior video. They did a good job highlighting the titles. I was surprised.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
Hardly necromancy... it's only been a week.

Offline Akira

• Der Steppenwolf
  • Hunter in Training
  • iLurk
  • Awards The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Carpe Noctum
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
I think I am still used to another forum where topics in 2nd page are supossed to be dead, and get closed quickly :-X

But yeah, I like too how they talk about the N64 titles, for a moment I thought they would give those games just a small mention with basics, but they highlighted very good points of them.

And, dunno, but I still don't like Curse of Darkness, even after watching the video and the mini review D:

"A smaller force defeating a much larger army, that is the beauty of strategy"

[ deus . ex . machina ]

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
That's too bad... I loved Curse of Darkness. The story was tanker of shit, but the Innocent Devils were so cool. Especially how OP they could be. If LoS had something like IDs in it, it wouldve been so easy, that you'd just have to stand there and block while your IDs destroyed everyone.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »
Wow, that retrospective on the N64 era was surprisingly and enjoyably fair. They did a good job highlighting those titles in video form. I hope a lot of people see this and realize these titles weren't so out there/bad as they've been labeled. Their graphics are what they are, and there can be some control/camera issues at times, but I still think they're rather impressive. My opinion of them when they came out was solid, but with time, I've seen how far ahead of the curve they were. I've only played through LoD as Cornell (and bit of Henry) due to renting the game and owning the first 64 title. That will likely change.

Anyway, the video reminded me that LoI had more to it than I remembered. It actually had some platforming and interactive environments--though they were spread out more than this video suggests. I think that CoD's expansion of the hallway mentality numbed me to some of LoI's strengths. I used to be really high on LoI, but I've sort of been more "meh" about it in recent years. I still like its story, characters, atmosphere, music, and bosses, and the combat is solid, but some of its repetitive level design prevents me from playing through it again (a 3rd time; I did do the vampire's mode when it came out). CoD is really a mixed bag. I liked the 3D camera and the ambitious way the world was connected, but the whole package suffered even more from level design and the sort of oddball ID game mechanic. Still, it had some interesting atmosphere and level themes. All and all, I do think GT were a little generous with the 3D IGA titles in not calling out their padded designs, but they did a good job in pointing out why they had some redeemable value, I suppose. I mean, when watching this, I found myself saying, 'I didn't enjoy CoD very much, but it looks cool here.'
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:29:18 PM by RichterB »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
I don't think they actually pointed out anything good in CoD either. The retrospective was pretty lenient on everything.

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
The only real problem with LoI and CoD are the long flat level designs. I can bear it in LoI but it renders the game super not fun in CoD because the levels are bigger :( it's a shame too because I enjoyed playing as Trevor.

Offline Richter

• Vampire Killer
  • Hunter in Training
  • Die, monster!
    • Project R Design
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
The series is really good, but why make us wait so much between episodes!!

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »
The series is really good, but why make us wait so much between episodes!!

The other big CV video retrospective right now, Machima's, is quicker in its release schedule. They just finished the DS and PS2 era, and are going to talk about HoD and LoS next, I think. However, their retrospective hasn't been as complete in my opinion, and they keep saying how no Castlevania except Dawn of Sorrow sold well. Huh.

Offline Valtiel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
Man, watching that retrospective on SotN made it perfectly clear why its by far the best Castlevania since: it looks like they actually gave a shit. The phenomenal soundtrack, the amazing art direction in pretty much every area, level design that isn't just giant boxes/straight lines with enemies lined up for attacking, and damn if it isn't one of the most beautiful games ever made, even today in 2010(crappy PS1 3d stuff aside). This is a game made by some super talented people pouring everything they have into one title, and they've been trying and failing to live up to it ever since. I know you guys really like your Rondos and Super CV4, but SOTN is just on another level. Try as he might, IGA will probably never top this masterpiece.

SotN is DEFINITELY the most overrated CV game yet.

It also marked the beginning of the recycling, of the artificial length increases and all the flaws that plagued Castlevania ever since. The soundtrack was a definite setback also (IGA games picked up ever since, thankfully) and it was graphically inferior to a lot of same-gen 2D games.

I'm in the process of replaying Circle of the Moon after having played CVIV and all I can think about is how many "downgrades" the saga saw after SotN. The leveling up mechanic alone is a massive problem in the way it's implemented. Meh.

I understand why a lot of people like SotN, and I loved it to bits when it first was released too, but to me today it's definitely a B grade CV game.

Tags: