Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: [Fan Games] Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Eggerland, Mario, Megaman  (Read 126506 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: [Fangame] Castlevania: The Demon Castle
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:41 AM »
I played the demo last night and it was amazing. The skeletons I thought didn't quite move as I've seen the in the NES games ie. they continuously move in one direction until they come to the end of the platform they're on before reatching the end, turning around and moving back in the apposite direction. I've also noted that Trevor functions as he should which was very nice to see and the controls felt solid too. However when I attack, even if I'm still holding the movement key, Trevor will stop and I'll have to let go of the key and press it again to make him move forwards once more. While this might not seem to be a real issue with some, I foresee problems in the future depending on the types of stages Trevor will progress through. For instance, the collapsing bridge. When the bridge starts to break up, you'll need to reach the end as fast as you can while enemies are in the way. You'll have to attack them but you will stop moving after attacking even though the movement key is still pressed. This scenario will ruin the natural flow of the game. Just to let you know  :)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
@Theou: If you don't do a key config, I will. I totally hate not having that option personally. The current configuration in the demo is just my preference and doesn't reflect what will be in the final game. (How corporate sounding of me! =P) I didn't know Z & X caused an I/O error. That isn't the case wit A & Z is it?

@Claimh: I might just use an alternate control scheme in future demos. It'll cover all the bases.

@X: I wouldn't worry about the enemies. TheouAegis is still not done with them. And as for that wierd control issue, I have experienced it myself. However, for me it doesn't always happen, so I'm wondering if it's just a keyboard thing. At any rate, the next demo will be on the next version of Theou's engine which he promises is a marked improvement and feels even more accurate to the originals.

That said, I'm working on the rest of the graphics for stage 1 at the moment and mapping out Harmony of Despair's stage 10 at the moment while I await the nect version of the engine. Stay tuned guys! ^___^
"Stuff and things."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:59 AM »
More parallex please! ;D

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
I'll see about that. It'd be limited, though.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »
Wow that's really nice.
Also, love "In the Castle", although it doesn't loop... :\

One thing that bothers me (very slightly) is that the dagger doesn't seem to go off-screen when you chuck it.  Rather, it disappears when it gets to the last tile (the very last 16x16 tile on the edge of the screen).  It looks really weird when it does that.  I don't know if people have pointed that out already.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »
Wow that's really nice.
Also, love "In the Castle", although it doesn't loop... :\

One thing that bothers me (very slightly) is that the dagger doesn't seem to go off-screen when you chuck it.  Rather, it disappears when it gets to the last tile (the very last 16x16 tile on the edge of the screen).  It looks really weird when it does that.  I don't know if people have pointed that out already.

I thought I set it to loop. Hmmm... I'll check on that.
The dagger thing is TheouAegis' department. I'm pretty sure that will be different in the next release of the engine.
There is an issue with the Axe disappearing at the top of the screen so fixing that may also fix the dagger.
At any rate go ahead and report about the dagger in his thread just in case.

Edit: It DOES loop!! It just takes like an eternity for it to start back up for some reason.

Edit2: Hey! Cross your eyes and focus on the wall in the background for a nice 3DS effect! :P

Edit3: Jorge. Check your PMs.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:09:52 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
New WIP of stage 1-1. In hypothetical NE/SX terms there are 2 BG layers; the grass is on one layer, everything else is on the other. The second BG layer is split into 3 bands of parallax. In actuality I did it using 5 or so tile layers. Thanks to Esco thinking outide the box the music can now pause too.

If anyone can guess where I got the mountain graphics you get a cookie. ^__^
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:43:27 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »
It's lookin' nice. Comin' along quite well. :D
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:10 AM »
I'm thinking of completely reworking the HUD with a more minimalistic approach.
For example, I might replace the big sub-weapon graphics with mods of the weapon icons from CV2 and shrink down the item box.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »
Yeah, that and you should probably add the black box behind all of the HUD like in CV1 and CV3. The HUD might be hard to see in brighter areas.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
Nah. I'm gonna add a black boarder to everything instead. I need the Hud to stay out of the way of the stage graphics since I'm taking advantage of the full screen area for this game. I might even have the HUD hide when there's nothing going on. That wouldn't be so hard to do in a pseudo-8bit system such as NE/SX. Also, I could make it into a simple menu system such as in CV2. Still minimalistic, but eliminating the clutter on the screen during play.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
Nah. I'm gonna add a black boarder to everything instead. I need the Hud to stay out of the way of the stage graphics since I'm taking advantage of the full screen area for this game. I might even have the HUD hide when there's nothing going on. That wouldn't be so hard to do in a pseudo-8bit system such as NE/SX. Also, I could make it into a simple menu system such as in CV2. Still minimalistic, but eliminating the clutter on the screen during play.

Yeah, that makes sense. Also, is it possible to make an option to hide HUD the whole game? That'd make for some exciting boss battles. :D

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »
HUDs should always be visible, unless you're in a cutscene. Also with a HUD like that, extending the play area into it sounds like you're inviting player frustration due to low visibility. There is a reason they did it on the NES the way they did.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »
The screenshot looks good from where I'm sitting. But uzo does have a point. The game could get very busy up there and lead to some unwanted distractions. If you're using that amount of screen for your game, couldn't you then raise up the HUD so that it doesn't interfere with the gameplay?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: