Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Confessions  (Read 55945 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:46 PM »
Misfortune?

Offline BushidoViking

• Member of PDG
  • Hunter in Training
  • Member of youtube.com/PhoenixDownGamingPDG
    • Phoenix Down Gaming
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »
Dissonance isn't viewed as a shitty game. True, it's typically held as the most meh of the GBA series, but that doesn't mean the game itself sucks.
What killed Diss for me was the graphics at the expense of the gameplay, the rip-off of SotN (from the similar graphical style, similar looking protagonists, the 2 nearly-identical castles bull-crap to the "buddy is possessed and I need to free him" thing), and the more-or-less lack of any real dialogue or plot once you start exploring the second castle. I almost felt like Diss would have been better without the whole (almost) mirror-image castle and just the first castle. It was neat when SotN did this stuff; it was redundant when Diss repeated the same exact stuff that had come before it.
And I don't get what was so bad about the sound. I saw it as an homage to the 8-bit era, the glory years of Castlevania's humble beginnings (and that of the NES itself).

Well Said my Friend!
Castlevania Fan, and member of
http://www.youtube.com/PhoenixDownGamingPDG

Offline Hellhammer

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »
lucky you, i had the misfortune of playing with the real CV board game ):

Man, I never knew those existed - really nice collector's piece!!! I've been feeling really tempted to start a proper CV collection but I have so many expensive hobbies already..haha

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2013, 12:08:58 AM »
And I don't get what was so bad about the sound. I saw it as an homage to the 8-bit era, the glory years of Castlevania's humble beginnings (and that of the NES itself).

It wasn't to pay homage to the 8-bit games. The sound quality had to take the hit due to the limited cartage space at the time as it was almost jam-packed. One of the reasons I think that lead to the music's forced lack of quality was the over-use of sprite vectoring. Another reason why might be due to the game already using high-quality sound effects that were better then CotM. I could be wrong as there might be another explanation. uzo might know the answer.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »
I HAD to look up the SoTN Hentai out of sheer curiosity, and found it with no trouble. dunno if you are allowed to mention hentai sites by name on here so I wont, but a hint, use the author name. It helps.

I found it kind of... Boring, actually. Mainly cuz the art isnt much to write home about and I cant damn read Japanese, which might have at least gotten me to stick around and read it. So I went "meh" and didnt finish it. The content itself is pretty damn tame too, though I didnt entirely finish it. Im pretty sure I can find much better CV related pr0n easily lol.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:06:53 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »
It wasn't to pay homage to the 8-bit games. The sound quality had to take the hit due to the limited cartage space at the time as it was almost jam-packed. One of the reasons I think that lead to the music's forced lack of quality was the over-use of sprite vectoring. Another reason why might be due to the game already using high-quality sound effects that were better then CotM. I could be wrong as there might be another explanation. uzo might know the answer.

Yeah, the graphics killed the sound. I think Jorge mentioned the gradius title for the GBA had the same deal too, so it was a Konami thing during that time. The backgrounds technically look even better than Aria's, since they almost always have some sort of animation. Combine that with all the well-animated enemies at the same time, and you have a recipe for some m a j o r   s l  o  w    d     o     w        n. Sacrificing sound quality freed up more space. This was to avoid what happened with CV Adventure: amazing graphics (for its time!) but nearly unplayable because playing the game was like playing CV1 in slow motion.

The director, Takeda Takashi, said in the CotM/HoD OST linear notes that this was his decision. Considering how he also directed Lament (which was a beautiful game back in 2003 and still holds up well graphically), he definitely wanted Castlevania to look the best. On the other hand, he also directed CoD, which wasn't exactly cutting edge in terms of graphics.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2013, 06:02:07 PM »
+1

Oh I get the degraded sound was due to the graphical achievements; I just likened the sound they had to settle with as NES-esque quality.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
It probably would've been better if Soshiro Hokkai went with a traditional route in regards to scoring the music. But then again, it just wouldn't be HoD without the experimental soundtrack.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2013, 12:44:56 AM »
This is a little embarrasing... but I think some characters from this series are... may I say hot?
Very beautiful. I once had a crush even, when I was younger.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2013, 07:44:42 AM »
+2
It's ok, we've all had crushes on Simon Belmont.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »

True dat.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
hmm, as for having unpopular opinions, i guess i've never been one to complain about all the things everyone else seems to complain about.  i generally try to appreciate each game or product for what they're worth.  so, things like Pachislot Castlevania, Castlevania Puzzle, a future animation or live action movie, Harmony of Despair, Tolkein stuff in Lords of Shadow etc don't seem like an anathema to me.

Offline SiFi270

• The Red Cyclone
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2209069/SiFi270
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2013, 06:33:05 AM »

But I am Simon Belmont! What, do you think my portrayal in Captain N is accurate?

I'm really more like you see me in the Worlds of Power novelization. Except not as dumb.
Pfft. Like anything's ever going here

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
I don't think that Castlevania 64's (or LoD's) controls are bad. Yes, you need some time to adjust yourself to it, but it works. I had much more problems with Soul Reaver, for example (but I still had a lot of fun with it).

I don't like Alucard that much.. He's too classic, nothing special about him. Just a normal epic vampire from some old movies. But Genia Aricado was a nice touch to his portrait. And I like the design of his in Aria of Sorrow. 

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »

Pretty much

New Simon is fuuuuugly
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:47:58 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Tags:

anything